What's new

3 weeks into my 1st grow. leaves getting spotty and drying up

fivestar8

First time grower here.

Im using ocean forest soil, distilled water and fox farm's grow big nutrients.
Temp stays around 80 farenheit. 60% humidity.

Started germination from seed on 5/24. Plants were showing growth every 2 days, but now growth has slowed drastically and bottom leaves are almost completely dried up.
Leaves with spots have purple stems.

Im not certain what the issue is, any ideas and advice will be appreciated. Thx

fivestar8

20210615_160205.jpg

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Why did you start feeding them?
Why are you drawing around them by wetting the surface?

troutman

Seed Whore
I think it's time to transplant them. If plants stay in solo cups for too long any plant will show stress. ;)

Also, if your tap water is fairly clean you can use that instead of buying distilled water. :)
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

G

The plants were bred under higher transpiration than what you're getting. Most people add Calmag.. Boron is most affected. Calcium gets the most positive response however.

I have a line for outdoor desert climates. The genes for increased calcium uptake are also the genes that reject cadmium uptake. Meaning you can stimulate thiol production with the heavy metal and still pass testing with flying colors. It's not purple though, so I'm just a pollen chucker. Maybe it just needs a rename and I'll bring it to market. Pienado #42?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Ocean forest soil has a starting pH at 7, and fox farm's nutrients are designed to lower the pH down to the low 6s. As long as the pH stays in the starting range of 7 the grow will have a difficult time maxing out in macro nutrients. Grow Big nutrient has a pH in the high 4s and will lower the pH if used correctly. I recommend starting with 1/2 or less of the manufacture recommendations and feed with less but feed with every watering to maintain a lower pH. Keep your water consentient and don't switch. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you want to know the difference between a grower that knows what they are doing, and someone that doesn't know. The difference is, anyone who learns how and uses a EC, or TDS meter and pH meter, will know what they are doing. The meters are worth the money and fun to use and so very helpful. They are inexpensive and a life saver in all growing situations. Get one and learn how to use it and you will be very glad in the long run. Good luck Fivestar8 and I wish you the best. 😎

fivestar8

Why did you start feeding them?
Why are you drawing around them by wetting the surface?

I was going by the fox farm feeding schedule.

Idk what i was thinking just watering in a circle like that...tbh just ignore that part

fivestar8

If you want to know the difference between a grower that knows what they are doing, and someone that doesn't know. The difference is, anyone who learns how and uses a EC, or TDS meter and pH meter, will know what they are doing. The meters are worth the money and fun to use and so very helpful. They are inexpensive and a life saver in all growing situations. Get one and learn how to use it and you will be very glad in the long run. Good luck Fivestar8 and I wish you the best. 😎

Yes i have purchased and learned how to use all of these before i began. Thanks.

fivestar8

Ocean forest soil has a starting pH at 7, and fox farm's nutrients are designed to lower the pH down to the low 6s. As long as the pH stays in the starting range of 7 the grow will have a difficult time maxing out in macro nutrients. Grow Big nutrient has a pH in the high 4s and will lower the pH if used correctly. I recommend starting with 1/2 or less of the manufacture recommendations and feed with less but feed with every watering to maintain a lower pH. Keep your water consentient and don't switch. 😎

Thank you for this reply

fivestar8

Update: realizing the issue may be the soil. Considering transplanting to mother earth coco or taking cuttings from these and transplant to coco when it gets roots. Not sure gonna get more feedback from my guys thanks for the responses, tips and help. You guys are great.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Sometimes I read the same thread twice, and make a different decision.

I think the cups could be waterlogged? They are sagging and struggling. The plant potted up made some better new growth, but now I wonder if you are watering enough.

I once saw someone keeping the surface wet with a spray bottle. It took taking them out the pots for him to see how dry the rest of the pot was. The little circles speaks of a similar 'topping up' approach. You might need to wet them properly. Soil won't work dry. It becomes hydrophobic sometimes. So you may need to wet them, and stand them in a saucer of water for half hour.

Not RO or distilled. They will collapse if they are dry. Pure water shouldn't reach the roots. Mix in some tap, or just use the tap.

PolyChucker

In the fabric pot, the pot is too big and soil not properly hydrated.
In the solo cup pic, the cup is too small and without drain holes is waterlogged.
I change the pot about every 2 weeks. Once the leaves are over the rim, it’s time to check the bottom for white root hairs at the drain holes.
when I repot, I soak the soil to hydrate it. It’s too much water for the plant generally, so I put it out in the sun and try to dry it out and create steam that helps get a distributed moisture. You won’t need to water it after that for a day or two. Then once it’s evened out and not soaking, go back to trying to give it just enough water for each day. Maybe it’s 2tbsp. Soil not soaking or too dry - moist like a brownie

Cuddles

I think it's time to transplant them. If plants stay in solo cups for too long any plant will show stress. ;)

Also, if your tap water is fairly clean you can use that instead of buying distilled water. :)
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Agree.They do look kinda big for those small cups, high time for a larger grow pot.
I don´t see why anyone would use distilled water to water plants myself. As far as I know that´s `dead´ water, it has no nutrients in it (so I recall reading once). Some people even drink that crap... I save distilled water for my iron and stuff :)

SamsonsRiddle

first off, ocean forest can be very acidic despite what the manufacturer says, so add 1-2 TBS/gallon of dolomitic limestone...you can work it into the top layer. second, those plants in the air pots are showing signs of underwatering due to the fact that they are: underwatered. do a full plain water on the fabric pot plants and let them sit for a few days afterwards. since they are newer transplants, there is plenty of food in that OF to sustain them for 2-3 weeks. lastly, if you need a ph meter or ec meter in soil then you don't know what you're doing.