What's new

How to Take and Upload Grow Photos Stealthily?

fckn elv1s

I'm looking to start setting up my first grow space and start growing soon. I want to be as safe as possible. I don't want to take photos on my cellphone knowing how the government snoops and data is saved. Can someone experienced fill me in on the safest way to take grow photos and upload them to this site anonymously with no trace back?

Amynamous

Great topic!
I turn off “LOCATION SERVICES” within the Privacy setting on my phone.
I would like to know what others do.

fckn elv1s

Thanks! You do this when you're taking pictures? Or you keep it off completely when using your phone? Also, how does this benefit you?

Great topic!
I turn off “LOCATION SERVICES” within the Privacy setting on my phone.
I would like to know what others do.

troutman

Seed Whore
I use Photoshop to do this and it takes seconds. :)

Just use the "File",and then "Save for Web & Devices" option and make sure Metadata is none like pic below.

https://photographylife.com/what-is-exif-data

Remove-EXIF-Data3-960x708.jpg

Amynamous

Thanks! You do this when you're taking pictures? Or you keep it off completely when using your phone? Also, how does this benefit you?

I rely on location services a lot for maps, weather, gps, etc, so i switch it off for photos.

I am not very knowledgeable about tech, but i remember reading that phones will tag photos with time and location.
I believe turning off the location services removes the gps tag.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
The forum's image upload software strips the exif data from photos so you don't have to worry.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I bought a Sony Handicam. No GPS. upload to the laptop, then onto the site. Delete from the laptop once on the site. The NSA is still tapped into your web source though.

fckn elv1s

JustGrowing420

Dedicated camera for grow room/house, that you use NOWHERE else.
One without Wi-Fi connectivity. This is not optional, mandatory to not even be able to connect to a network. Not simply turning it off in the settings.

Then a software like ExifToolGUI, which lets you read existing metadata and modify/delete them.
Great tool because of batch processing of whole folders, not each image individually.

Then upload.

One more thing, except for exif data there should also be nothing that could potentially be so unique that it could be traced in the photos.
Like features of the house etc.

And who in his right mind suggests that you trust the forum software and not do every step manually yourself???????

edit: also visit the security & legal issues sub, lots of very good topics there

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I use exifpurge, a tiny program that moves images between folders, stripping data away. If I then edit a pic slightly in paint, it grows a lot in size. Then I can run it through again stripping it back. It's surprising what programs do handle pics and change the file size quite a bit.

I just use my phone, but don't use it elsewhere on the web. Pixel dropout can ID a camera. I move the pics over by wire. Access the internet through vpn but even my path to that is through a tunnel using a special browser.

It's just cannabis. If you get big enough to look interesting, you will be too busy to post pics anyway :)

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
It's just cannabis. If you get big enough to look interesting, you will be too busy to post pics anyway :)

I guess there is nothing to worry about when it comes to us small hobbygrowers.

But then again. Why let the backdoor stand open.

I take pics with my old Canon pocket-cam. No GPS, WIFI, BlueTooth or else.
I upload the pics to my labtop.
Finally I use the "Upload Attachments"-buttom here at ICMag..

My cellphone takes ok pics, and I would like to uoload a few.

The forum's image upload software strips the exif data from photos so you don't have to worry.
Can this be confirmed?

P :smoke:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It was said by the webmaster recently so I guess it is true.
Also, you don't need to disable location services on a phone to take no gps location pics. You have the option in camera settings to enable or disable it. It's called "show location" or "save gps data" or something along those lines. Real cameras that have gps on them have the option to enable or disable it as well.
Also, I use a exif stripping tool, as others said as well, but I just wanted to add there are ones for phones now so you don't need to go on the pc to strip them of exif before posting. Before exif stripping I use a resize tool so the upload is faster and the forum doesn't downgrade my picture quality too much when converting.

ATUK

Administrator
It was said by the webmaster recently so I guess it is true.
Also, you don't need to disable location services on a phone to take no gps location pics. You have the option in camera settings to enable or disable it. It's called "show location" or "save gps data" or something along those lines. Real cameras that have gps on them have the option to enable or disable it as well.
Also, I use a exif stripping tool, as others said as well, but I just wanted to add there are ones for phones now so you don't need to go on the pc to strip them of exif before posting. Before exif stripping I use a resize tool so the upload is faster and the forum doesn't downgrade my picture quality too much when converting.

Regardless of what the forum does. ALWAYS remove your EXIF data!!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts