What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autoflower w/ 2x2 Mars Hydro grow tent

bamarags

Hi! 👋

I want to start my first small personal grow. 3 plants. After reading a little, I want to get femanized autoflower seeds (please recommend a vendor/strain). I would prefer to stick with a soil mixture. I want to keep this simple. I have a low tolerance so quality over quantity.

I bought a Mars Hydro grow kit. It came with:
  • TS 600w LED light
  • 2*2*5 tent
  • 4" Carbon filter
  • 4"inline duct fan with speed controller
  • 33ft length flex ducting
  • Timer
  • Humidity/temp reader
  • (4x) 5gal cloth pots
The environment will be a basement. The current average temperatures in my basement sit around 60⁰ w/ 50% humidity. It is not climate controlled and summer is around the corner.

My questions are:
  1. Do I need to consider a humidifier to try to stay around 50% through the summer?
  2. What is the best medium to use for autoflower plants in this environment?
  3. I've heard a back and forth argument for 24/7 vs 18/6. Which is really the best method for a super noob in this circumstance? Electric bill non-issue.
  4. What fertilizers should I use and when?
  5. What ph should the water be?
  6. Are there new developments that allow you to keep an autoflower mother for clones or is that still a no-go? So long as I use AF, I need to buy seeds, right?
  7. Are there any good books or reference guides that are updated to cover AF? I have some really basic questions but I'm not sure what "basics" are different from photoperiod.
  8. What are some other things I need to purchase out of necessity or convenience?
Any veteran tips are really appreciated.

Thanks!

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
For your first grow in a 2 x 4, I would suggest that you grow 2 plants not 3. Start small so you can manage it (or should I say micromanage because that’s what we all do with our first grow).

33’ of ducting is asking a whole lot out of a 4” fan. You might want to add an in-line duct fan to help this move the air you need it to move.

Seeds? Why not have a look at Seedbay? Or check out the vendor forums for lots of choices.

Overall, do some searches, do some more reading & dive in. They are just plants . . .

bamarags

For your first grow in a 2 x 4, I would suggest that you grow 2 plants not 3. Start small so you can manage it (or should I say micromanage because that’s what we all do with our first grow).

33’ of ducting is asking a whole lot out of a 4” fan. You might want to add an in-line duct fan to help this move the air you need it to move.

Seeds? Why not have a look at Seedbay? Or check out the vendor forums for lots of choices.

Overall, do some searches, do some more reading & dive in. They are just plants . . .

Thanks!

The space is actually smaller, it's a 2x2. I was thinking of starting with 3 in hopes of keeping 2. I'm not sure of the survival rate when sprouting from seeds but if it's anything like the veggies I've grown, it's always good to do more than you hope to have! Good advice, though. I will aim for 2.

I do have 1 in line duct fan. The ducting is expandable so I don't think I need to stretch it out to it's full length. Do you still think another fan? If it helps, here's a link to the kit I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088T8S36S/

I checked out seedbay but to be honest, I'm overwhelmed! There is a ton out there. The vendor forums are a good suggestion, thanks 😊

You're right. They are just plants. I'm probably overthinking like everything else 😆 still, I'm trying to waste as little time and money as I can. I'm raising kids with a lot of medical issues so both those resources are precious. I appreciate your help!

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Proper ventilation is crucial, so you may have to play around a bit when you get setup. Every bend or elbow in ducting reduces the airflow so keep it as straight as possible.

I am growing 4 x autoflowers in my 4 x 4 at the moment and any 2 of them in a 2 x 2 would be more than enough to fill it, but then I like to just grow them out rather than train rigorously. It's all up to you.

Have a look at Real Gorilla Seeds . . .

bamarags

Proper ventilation is crucial, so you may have to play around a bit when you get setup. Every bend or elbow in ducting reduces the airflow so keep it as straight as possible.

I am growing 4 x autoflowers in my 4 x 4 at the moment and any 2 of them in a 2 x 2 would be more than enough to fill it, but then I like to just grow them out rather than train rigorously. It's all up to you.

Have a look at Real Gorilla Seeds . . .

Thank you, awesome! I will keep the vent as straight as possible and I'll keep an eye on ventilation. Really good tips, they are super appreciated!

Latest posts

Latest posts