What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My First Grow---- 3'x' 3 Grow Tent . Progress and Questions Thread

XxHammer

https://www.icmag.com/special/albums/17824431-3x3-grow-tent-my-first-grow

Please check out my First Grow.

Thanks to all the people who posted before me who made my setup possible.

In the link you will see my Setup and the 1st Week of Rooting completed. I am moving into Week 2 of Rooting, with plans to Transplant into 3/5-gallon fabric pots this Sunday as long as the plants look ready. They will be going into FFOF soil. Right now they are in Jiffy Natural & Organic Seed Starter Mix.

You will see 5 seedlings. I do not intend to take 5 plants into Veg. My question right now, How many plants would you do in a 3x3x8 Tent under a 315W CMH. I am torn between 3 and 4, but leaning towards 3 being the magic number. What do you guys think? 3 plants arranged in a Triangle or 4 plants in a 2x2 Square?

I will update the Album at least once or twice per week and post any questions I have in this thread.

Thank you very much

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
2 x 2 plant grid to maximize floor space utilisation. Better to have 4 plants than 3 for yeld also. I am growing 9 sativas in a similar space so don't worry. I have also grown 4 auto plants in same space before. Only diference is that I tie down the plants bondage style and not use a net. Experience taught me to not complicate things and always leave easy access to all plants and all sides of the canopy. Besides, if you leave them go through the net too much it will be like the net it's not even there. Also, harvest time it is easier without the net.
good luck.

XxHammer

2 x 2 plant grid to maximize floor space utilisation. Better to have 4 plants than 3 for yeld also. I am growing 9 sativas in a similar space so don't worry. I have also grown 4 auto plants in same space before. Only diference is that I tie down the plants bondage style and not use a net. Experience taught me to not complicate things and always leave easy access to all plants and all sides of the canopy. Besides, if you leave them go through the net too much it will be like the net it's not even there. Also, harvest time it is easier without the net.
good luck.

Do you have any pictures of what your training method looks like with the tie-downs only?

I am not set on using a Net. Just most of what I have seen uses one and the Net looked like a good way to support heavy branches and promote an even/balanced canopy.

I accidently made this same thread in another section and someone recommended a pre-sized Net off Amazon so I ordered a cheap 3x3 Net (My tent is oddly actually 39x39 inches and not 36x36 damn Europeans). I found this out the hard way when I ordered 2 additional 3ft poles to be supports for my roof (The green poles in the pictures in my Album)

Proper plant training and defoliation are definitely my main areas of interest right now.

I have also decided to spend the 200$ and buy a specialized A/C Unit that is solely dedicated to my Grow Tent. I will leave my Exhaust System in place running 24/7 but I will scrap the Evaporative Cooler and the 6'' Intake Fan and replace with a Wall Unit A/C and duct it into my Tent using an RV/Pool Hose. I am not excited to drop the money on an additional A/C Unit but I think the benefits will outweigh the cons when Flowering starts. I was going to have a huge problem with a 12/12 Light Cycle because of the Heat and my work schedule (working 7am-7pm and being gone from 6am-8pm made it impossible to just leave my Tent door open like I am doing during the day in Veg to keep my temperatures down). I will update again with pictures once the A/C unit has been installed and tested. I am hoping I can put the A/C Unit on a Timer and make my Tent a much more efficient system as long as I keep the Tent sealed and controlled. Thoughts?

Thank you

XxHammer

And as to the number of plants; I am taking your advice and the advice of others and running with 4 plants.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
As regarding the A/C ideea, I would go with a lung room that is chilled and you take the intake air from there and not just blow cold air into a small tent. Plants won't like it, especially if the A/C works in timed bursts and not mantaining all the time. Now, if you have other mobilr A/C you can use like that (or a fixed position one that is installed in a suitable space to be used as a lung room, you could skip buying a new one alltoghether.

also, please tell me which thread u keeping. Seems counterproductive to have 2 of them. I can move posts ar merge threads per your needs to tidy up this problem. It will be easier for you as a thread starter, and for other users as well to have just one thread.
later.edit:
i just seen thats an album and not a thread. It's ok if you want to continue like that. Usually users make a thread and post there everything about the grow, including pics. But I like the way you using the albums as a grow journal. If that fits you then go like that.

Last edited:

XxHammer

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=377193 here is my thread with autos. It's the most similar setup to yours. I think tent same size.

I am slowly working my way through your Grow Log. So far, very similar to my setup indeed. I will be cherry-picking ideas along the way haha

Ive decided to at least hold off on an A/C for now. I am able to leave my tent open during the day with the 18/6 light cycle and that does a pretty good job of regulating temperatures. I figure if I get through Veg and my plants look good, about a week before they are ready to flip to 12/12, THEN I will go spend the money on an A/C and just leave it outside the tent and duct the cold air in (mindful to keep it on a constant setting and not to blast the plants directly)

XxHammer

Awesome! I appreciate any love and support I can get, especially from experienced Growers!

I am looking forward to Transplanting this Sunday, I will update with pictures after I complete that step :)

XxHammer

Day 9.jpg
Day 9a.jpg

Day 9 of Rooting. Going to give them 2 more full days, then on Sunday Transplant them into 5-gallon buckets :)

How they looking?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Good!

later.edit: forgot to add I would leave them in those pots a bit more. It will make for an easier and safer transplant if soil ball is well kept by the roots, and you will experience a boost in growth after the transplant since roots would be all over the soil in current pots, and have a better and more uniform spread in the new soil. Also, you will train the roots to occupy the space between center of the pot (where main root is) and the outside of the pot (as oposed to transplanting early and roots rushing twards margins of the bigger pot, with little root presence in between).
not sure what size pots are those but of at least 2 liters you should keep them in there for about a half-week to a week more. If 4 liters or more you can leave them for at least a week more. Then just transplant, let them get used to the new pot and soil for at least another week, and then you can flower them.
hope you understant what I am trying to say, cause I am sofa king high.

Last edited:

XxHammer

I do understand what you are saying and I was actually just getting to do some Google searches because I was thinking my plants were still a bit too small to Transplant. As much as I wanted to get it done Sunday on my day off Work, it is looking like Wed-Thurs might be better for the plants.

Thanks for the feedback

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah, also, don't worry, it's far from time sensitive. You cand do it next Sunday or whenever you have the time. I finished plants in pots of 0.5-1 liter before. There is no problem if you leave them too much in a pot, as long as you give them time to send roots through the new soil after transplant, and before flowering.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Watering time between watering is the best way I have found for timing a transplant. One doesn't need to transplant a plant that gets watering once every four days, or once a week, because that would raise the water volume in the root zone too much. However if I have to water every day, or every other day, then I would need to transplant into a larger container to expand the watering time between watering's. 😎