What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow plant size

Niflheimwarrior

Hi! so I’m planning first grow for this summer, and I have some questions regarding size and number/type of plants i can fit in a 60cmx60cmx170 cm (or 0.2x0.2feet) tent.
I’m stuck between either growing ace seeds golden tiger, or fast buds auto amnesia haze. Firstly I’m wondering if it’s a bad idea for a first grow to go with a sativa with landrace genetics as opposed to a smaller auto?
Secondly i REALLY want to grow two plants, is that possible? Either with 2 autos of 2 different strains or 2 strains from ace seeds with 12/12 from seed or just 2 week veg. Is that a crazy overestimation in what a 60x60 can fit?
and thirdly if I choose to go with an ace seeds strain, will I get a massively diminished yield compared to 1-3 small autos? I can wait for 16 weeks but only if it’s worth it in yield,
I’ve seen grow diaries of people growing autos for 11 weeks total and yielding 60+ grams/2 ounces + from a single auto and other times I’ve seen people grow a photo for 16 weeks and yielding half that. If it helps I’ll be growing in coco with the advanced nutrient range.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and any suggestions are very welcome! I really like sativas and the pure sativas of ace really have me interested, although the ease and speed of an auto seems very appealing, also the auto amnesia I saw claimed 22% thc and the pics looked very nice,

hope it wasn’t unnecessary for me to create a thread as opposed to writing a post somewhere.

wish everyone a happy Sunday.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I am on my first run (except for tries of bagseed in the ground), and I can offer this advise... You want to get through the run successfully. You will screw up. You need a bulletproof strain, and IMO... Run Serious Seeds AK-47. Get 6 seeds, start 2, and grow them until they are ready for the final up-planting, and pick the best. Maybe 7-10 gallons of soil final (for the tent size) if that is how you plan to grow. The tent should fill in nicely, and a single plant will be easy to tend. I saw a low rotating platform at a Home Depot (like a lazy susan) that would make rotating the plant to tend it easier.

If the first two seeds screw up, learn what you did wrong and start 2 more. Don't throw the first two away, as they may come back. You will need to figure out what to do with the lesser plants at some point, especially if the first two are both good and it is hard to choose. With the seed I recommended, that is possible. A strong strain that will forgive mistakes is what I suggest.

See my two grow dairys for why the AK-47 is what I recommended. Some exotic sounding names wasted on the same run. The AK is a stout horse. For that matter so is a Runtz S1 plant. I am running another AK from the same 6 seeds I got, as a control on how the second run did compared to the first. I tortured the 4 plants in the first run that are in the flower cycle now.

Niflheimwarrior

I am on my first run (except for tries of bagseed in the ground), and I can offer this advise... You want to get through the run successfully. You will screw up. You need a bulletproof strain, and IMO... Run Serious Seeds AK-47. Get 6 seeds, start 2, and grow them until they are ready for the final up-planting, and pick the best. Maybe 7-10 gallons of soil final (for the tent size) if that is how you plan to grow. The tent should fill in nicely, and a single plant will be easy to tend. I saw a low rotating platform at a Home Depot (like a lazy susan) that would make rotating the plant to tend it easier.

If the first two seeds screw up, learn what you did wrong and start 2 more. Don't throw the first two away, as they may come back. You will need to figure out what to do with the lesser plants at some point, especially if the first two are both good and it is hard to choose. With the seed I recommended, that is possible. A strong strain that will forgive mistakes is what I suggest.

See my two grow dairys for why the AK-47 is what I recommended. Some exotic sounding names wasted on the same run. The AK is a stout horse. For that matter so is a Runtz S1 plant. I am running another AK from the same 6 seeds I got, as a control on how the second run did compared to the first. I tortured the 4 plants in the first run that are in the flower cycle now.
I’ll definetely look into a resistant strain, my plan is to run the ph perfect coco with there recommended dosage, seeing as it is made specifically for cannabis I assumed nutrient deficiency/ overfeeding would be easily avoided...but I never thought of the risk of loosing a plant, always assumed because it’s a weed it’s relatively resistant, but now that you say it alot of very experienced growers I follow even have problems, if I’m a complete noob at it I imagine That having a completely smooth grow is not realistic, as for the seeds u recommend, grateful for the advice but I’m very picky about what I want to grow, looking specifically for a very sativa dominant strain that has high traces of limonene...I’ll definetely check out ur grow though!:) cheers

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I would get the GH Lemon Skunk. It's a compromise but a single more indica plant will be more manageable and you will be smoking it a lot sooner.
A sat with a feed slip-up could outgrow your tent like a scene from Jack'n'the beanstalk. Going from 12" to 4 foot in a couple of weeks. In my early days we had a system full that we were having to bail up on an almost daily basis to give the lights space. Two of us chucking lines through it to part the sea in each direction, making biblical jokes in a situation you really had to see to believe.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
If it's your first ever attempt at growing then, as previously stated, you would be wise not to grow a Sativa; they really do get leggy, even when grown on 12/12. I have grown several of ace's genetics and am a big fan. You could put a post on the ace seed forum and ask Dubi which of his strains would be siutable for a beginer

I wouldn't grow 2 different types of plant in the same room, many do, but as a total beginer, i think it's better to keep it simple.