What's new

When is the time to change the lights from 18/6? How do you tell?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I am not sure when to start counting the veg time. These plants were suffering from not enough water, and thus dry soil, while in the dixie cups (despite the top of the soil being moist). Lesson there is cups and heat pads require a lot of water. Top watering the bags and testing with a digital Blumat was also a screw-up, cause I didn't know a reading over 50 is bone dry in my soil.. They have been in the 7 gal bags on the SWICK for a little over 3 weeks (Feb 23), but were germinated back in early Jan.

I like to think things will go better n the next run, but 50% of seeds that had tails are not coming up in the cups. That is new mystery.

Edit, I gave them a pretty good clipping. There are roots coming through the bag into the perlite on the bottom edges.

Last edited:

vanilla dutch

I usually sprout in wet paper towels then carefully transplant into the cups with the leaves/ coytledon showing above surface. And keep babies moist.if dry.they shrivel up and die.:wave:

...CR500AF...

Alright mate

Dont be shy with regards to removing the lower foliage, the sooner you do so the better, as more energy will be channelled in to everything at the top. Same goes when your training them, it doesnt matter if you snap a branch or split the middle stem, just get some gaffa or electrical tape and tape it back together, a week or so later it will heal and knot back up and be stronger than before. It acts similiar to super cropping.

With regards to training plants, I usually do as posted above, veg for 3-5 weeks, top to leave 6-8 arms, then I put the nets in the tent. I add the nets just before 12/12, or a week or so in to 12/12 once theyve got some stretch going on. I will normally slide the nets down the tent poles on top of the plants, then start bending the arms under the squares in the nets. In a week or so they will find their way back through. Its worth noting, I normally double or triple net the tent. I would say the first net is around 12-18 inches above soil level, then the additional nets around 12 inches or so apart. Come week 2-3 12/12 once stretch is over, any foliage under the first net is fully removed, and any small buds coming of the branches between the 2nd and 3rd net are removed, just leaving shoots and tops, minimising any larf and maximising buddage. You dont need to bother with fish weights or anything like that.

Biggest piece of advice is dont get too worried or stressed if something doesnt go to plan, its all a learning curve!

Wish you all the best.

Very good advise twice now...:biggrin:

G

its a good point with a plant that bushy to defoliate a bit, even if your not going to train them. like blazeee said, it will make them focus on the tops if you take any inner lower scraggle out now. i gotta try training, usually i just flat top my plant like a hedge and tie it together internally so it doesnt split

Kristine_M

I think you shouldn't change what you did because Leaves are like solar panels. they absorb the light to grow big and strong. goodluck

Latest posts

Latest posts