What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

JLo - Kentish Creme X Flo

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I've decided to start a thread to document a new cross I've made, as it might be of interest to many people.

Folks may have noticed my posting about this mystery Jamaican plant I have for some time - check in my signature link for the main thread, and several other threads will throw up in a search. It's an unusual plant - presumably a hybrid - that my friend brought back from Jamaica as seed. I've gone over the story many times elsewhere so I won't again here, but the plant is exceptional, of that there is no doubt.

British Hempire, myself and the guy who got the seed had a little chat, and decided to name it Kentish Creme, after its location in Jamaica, and it's creamy taste - though that's not the only taste - it's a very versatile plant indeed.

Last year I decided to do a breeding experiment, using two distinctly different Flo males, a purple sativa-dominant plant, and a green indica-dominant. Whenever possible, I put some pollen on as many different strains as possible - Kentish Creme being one of them. For some reason, only the purple pollen took with the KC, and I got 18 seeds from a very small clone I used to breed with:

I've gereminated seven of the seeds recently, and have whittled down the F1 plants to four specimens, which are are about ten weeks old. Two are definite males, one is a definite female, and one is still undecided, presumed female. The plants all grew extremely symmetrically, and all have purple stems top to bottom with a minty/berry smell, fairly long but very mixed (between parents) leaf-shapes, and quite tight internode spacing. Here's two examples below:

The dark purple stems are definitely the Flo dominating, as can also be seen from the long stipules at the node. However, as these are F1s, I'm not too concerned about individual phenotypes at this stage.

I'm assuming for all intents and purposes that my Flo parent is 'true-breeding' - that may sound fatuous, but my tests so far, crossing with many strains, and incrossing with Flo females, have generally shown a stable and predictable outcome, so I'm expecting that its contribution will follow the Flo line, which is fine by me! The Kentish Creme however, did show many similarities to Flo when growing, particularly in branching and stem/bud formation, and I expect the F1s to be extremely vigorous and good-looking plants.

They grew so tall in my limited space that I've had to clone them all - four of each plant. These are all rooted and ready for potting, though I only need one of each for breeding. I've left the two male stumps in veg to better see how they develop, and put the two females into flower to get a better idea of times, structure, etc. They're very small, so I'll get no yield, but after four weeks or so I can then decide which male and female clones to use for breeding the F2s.

In the meantime, I just have a lot of pondering to do...:chin:

Ulysses

JLo- that's a sexy looking siren song!

A Jam x Flo should be a great smoke... What's it do to your head? Does it make you swivel your hips??? Hehehe...

I got the last pack of Original Flo held up in the SBay logjam-chemdog fever-flu thing. Primarily based on your pics and descriptions of the plants... Damn EMan, if I get one or two as good as yours, I'll be psyched! I'm having trouble making arrangements to keep the males... Gotta work that out...

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well, she's a latin/caribbean beauty with some exotic Asian genes buried in there too, so she should certainly turn some heads. We'll have to see how little miss diva reacts, if she ever gets to hear about it (probably, if she smokes as much as I suspect). Though after the 'Tom Cruise' weed I've heard about on here, I should be careful, or it'll have to be renamed 'Jail-O'...:)

And good to hear you got some Flo at last...:chin:

G

Ah, great to see the J-Los are doing well, I love the KC cut a lot, smoking some now, very good stuff indeed, the buds look sugar coated and taste sweek yet rich, like milk chocolate, but like EM says, this plant has produced several different expressions, depending on who grew it. Some pics I snapped of my KC buds tonight:

DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0065.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg

DSCF0067.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

ThaiPhoon

Nice, another creation from Elevator Man! Are you using the same Flo's from the Goldfinger cross? The Goldfinger was fantastic. JLo should be great as well.

Chok dee

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Yep, these two Flo males managed to touch a lot of ladies in their short lives! That was the purple male used again in the JLo:

Ulysses

Original Flo secured- even got those "fjällhöga freebies" I asked for- guess that was compensation for the wait... SBay doesn't disappoint, and I sweated it out for naught...

When you say Flo is true breeding, do you mean it's an IBL? Or are you just stating that there are a defined number of phenos? How many phenos do you find in Flo? How many phenos are you and BH getting with JLo?

Yeah, that's a funny joke with the TomCruze weed- you don't want to go bragging to your mates you've smoked tom cruize...hehehe

G

If 'smoked' is a euphemism for some sexual act, then no, I wouldn't want to say it, but if it were a euphemism for having blown a great gaping hole through his fat, scientologist head with a 12 bore, then yes, I would proclaim it loudly 'I smoked that mudda fudder TOM CRUISE!' lol

Although I haven't grown the Flo, I saw and smoked EM's and my take on it was that it has several phenos but all of them were equally lovely, all having a complex taste and high. I remember one green pheno was minty and I liked that one a lot, then there was a purple pheno that was dark, rich and earthy, in short, Flo is fantastic.

If the Goldfinger is anything to go by, that Flo male makes a good breeding tool indeed, the Goldfinger having a complex earthy rich taste reminiscent of Flo but with added dimension and spice from the Malawi.

Went to a poker game the other nigth and took some KC buds, folks were very impressed with the smell, taste and potency, some very stoned but haoppy faces round that poker table. The calculated 'dosing' of my opponents with KC worked a charm and I collected the night's pot, my tolerance beign far higher than theirs!

I'm really looking forward to seeign the J-los flower and I'm gonna have to go visit at the right time to sample the buds as out of all the quality genes EM's shown me recently, the Flo and KC were my two favourites, out of all the DJ short plants EM has grown of four strains, the minty Flo pheno was my favourite, the dark, rich purple Flo pheno my second favourite and a similar Grape krush pheno my third choice. The only smoke I preferred to the Flo was the KC, so to see the two of them blended into a new hybrid interests and excites me greatly!

G

COOL im in,and i know this thread will finish!!

Unlike alot of threads here that never finish?????

We have a good grower here hahahahaha.........

Hey BH what KC strain is that one,she is FUZZY man!!!
My Leda Uno's are HUGE and flowering has begun good now......
Hella lemony greasy taste and great day smokes!!

Go for it EM,you 2 are some good friends and busy too!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks Lou - though I'm working in considerably less space than you are right now! This should be a great cross though - all clones are rooted (in a week too - hybrid vigour or what?!) so hopefully I can select the F1 parents very soon!

Ulysses - I don't mean IBL in the usual sense no - just that the phenos I've crossed seemed to reproduce very predictably. The female Flo I've grown seeds from produced near-identical offspring in terms of smell, taste and high, and the males produced similar results when crossed with many other strains - purple sativa and green indica were very obviously present when crossed with strains I'm familiar with that didn't have those traits previously.

Whether this works down the line remains to be seen, but the results here look exactly like I was expecting. Just wish I'd got the green indica pollen to work too...:(

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I've got a feeling they'll be very tasty!

Both plants in the flower chamber are confirmed female now, and have been in one week. I'll grow these out just to get an idea of the female structure, but I've got clones of all four - two boys and two girls.

If my theory is correct that these two P1s are reasonably stable, it shouldn't matter which phenotypes I use for the F1 cross. That said, I may still pollenate two females if they show dramatic differences. But I'm only going to use one male, otherwise it'll just get really complicated.

InPotiTrust

Glad u made this thread Elevator Man cause i been following this cross from over in your "Jamaican Strain Identification" thread under my old handle

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Oh good - I hope it'll be worthwhile.

The four best clones are all now potted and vegging out - I've also given one of each to a trusted friend who's going to help with this. The two male stumps should grow out soon enough - I just need to see if either will throw out purple parts, though to be honest it shouldn't really matter at F1 stage. The two female stumps are ten days into flower and stretching like crazy - in a few weeks I'll have an idea whether they're identical or totally different, which will give me some idea on pheno variation (a small idea!).

So in a couple of weeks I can select which male to use, and then I'll probably pollenate both female clones just for the hell of it, though I'll only use one batch for simplicity. More news as soon as there's something to show...

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Bollocks...literally...

Bollocks...literally...

One of the test females has turned hermie on me overnight - last night it was a glorious female, bushy and vigourous - tonight, it had balls on every stem except one. Whilst I was impressed at the speed of sexual development, that wasn't what I wanted to see at all, especially as it was the better-looking of the two females. It's in the bin already - I can't afford any fuck-ups. So there's only on female to use now - looks fine so far, but then so did the other one.

What's puzzling is that this is the first hermie I've seen from any of the Flo crosses, and it was a full-on transexual explosion in one night, not a flirtation with just a pair of high-heels! So I'm wondering whether it's the Kentish Creme. It's not a disaster, as I still have eight original seeds left, and as these are F1s I can safely cross this other plant with the best male, but it's left me feeling slightly uneasy, as any parent would, on finding out news of this kind...:)

purcellville

Self Proclaimed Hash Whore
ICMag Donor
Veteran
tagged... You know I am in for the ride EVM. The odds may suck, but you only need one good one!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
purcellville - I'm not too worried - this is the first hermie I've ever had in 20 years growing, so it's not that bad really! Just a shame as it looked so nice, but that's how they get you eh...? :)

G

What you're seeing there is a recessive intersex trait, it is much more likely to have come from the KC side than the Flo. I have run into this problem before with my Colombian Gold x Grapefruitbowl wor, no hermies in the f1s, but loads in the f2s, I had uncovered a hidden intersex trait in the Colombian which was rock soil it appeared, the intersex trait only reared it head after breeding it for 2 gens.

More bad news, all my plants survived my trip to the 420 cup, but one is rather sickly and will probably die - Kentish Creme's sister and this is the only plant, there are no clones. I think she got root rot while I was away, she is on a windowsill, praying she pulls through but doesn't look like she will, sadly.

This intersex thang isn't a total disaster, it may well be possible to find a pure male and pure female from the f1s, although they are likely to be the most Flo dominant phenos. I've got three nice bushy KC's I'm putting outdoors this week, one of them will get pollinated by my Purple Afghan male, I'll give ya a load of the seeds for future work.

No pint going through the usual barrage of questions when someone gets a hermie as I know that Em has his setup sorted and it isn't anything environmental, he grew my Mexican cut which will produce nanners and didn't get any, so I'm surprised abou these hermies. Not surprised they turned overnight tho, I've seen that happen a few times. I have grown many intersexed plants, it comes with the territory when you grow a load of landraces like I have, and I've had loads in my breeding work with landraces too, at one point I had 5 hermies out of 9 plants flowering, not good.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
BTW, this JLo F1 test female is looking awesome, despite its small stature - it's at five weeks tonight, and has totally got the KC resin coverage already - on all the budleaves, and the undersides as well. The buds look more like a DJS plant in structure, and are definitely going to turn purple.

The smell is again leaning toward the 'mentholated mushrooms' that appeared in the test grow of the Goldfinger X MoFlo, which makes me think this is a definite trait of the Purple Thai buried in the Flo, as that's now appeared with totally different crosses, and using both f1 and f2 males (though the f2 was a direct offspring of the f1 male). Pics as soon as I get a camera.

I've got the male selected - nice and branchy, very purple (and very smelly) stems and a quite sativa look to him all round. Hopefully purple flowers too.