What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grapefruit-orange grail project v 2.0 - The refining process begins

budino

Indica Lover
Veteran
Hi doc!

Smell of those gals is something really amazing! It reminds me an orange and ginger jam, with a touch of lemon. It's greasy and sticky, can't wait to try in my vapo...

Good vibes!

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very nice work Doc,

All is there, we only need a way to be able to smells them plans :biggrin:

And Budino, those flowers look very nice too! :yes: Would love to hear more details, smells and flo time in particular.

Keep up the good work Doc!

B

budino

Indica Lover
Veteran
Hi folks!
A couple of shots of my two girls at 9th week of bloom, in flushing phase:

Pheno1:
picture.php

Pheno2:
picture.php

See ya!

Grapefruit & orange, now we're talking! I noticed you don't have anything with cali-o 77 in it, are you not a fan or did it just play out that way?
Really enjoyed this thread so far, keep up the good work!

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
beautiful plants doc!

very interesting projects youv'e got going. i'm gonna have to check out your other threads after work.

i like your style. this line in your sig about growing soil is my approach as well :D

does the bay still have some of your freebies available? i've requested your AO crosses the last two orders but no luck. i will request again with this order i just placed.

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hallo world!
I'm back! I'm so sorry to delay all my answers in this period but I've been super busy... I live sorta of 5 lives together and at full throttle... gotta sleep sometimes...
Most of my mind was into a beserker mode for selection of the best plants to be my keeper. It took lot of time and energy and lungs.

I'd like to say thank you to all people who joined in this threads meanwhile.

Budino, It's always a pleasure to see you here! I've followed your thread weekly seeing your skills and how you gave honour to my seeds.
It's an unbelievable pleasure to see your results, bro.
Feel free to post up any comments and new picts.
Your smell and taste descriptions were mouth watering...

Swampwater, welcome my friend! we share same passions for grapefruit. Gotta try your buds and seeds someday! keep it orange!

Heady blunts, welcome you too!
I've been following your threads with a lot of interest and I learned a lot from you! I'm sure we share same approach to grow plants, and the more I'm tuning fine all the details, the better. This is the way to go...
Gotta ask Clarence about some leftovers freebies (some auctions went undone, so I suppose there are some left.)
But soon I'm going to drop some more seeds to share.

I ended up with all the space available filled with plants, clones, seeds, males, backup and old mother plants. Need some selections. Hard for me.
My last harvest is curing now and gives me a good starting point.Selected the best ones for outdoor testing. Cloned the keepers.
And I arranged my new mother room ready to flower for a seed round. It's very hot now in the season and it's going to be difficult to grow for buds now. I will work with half grow room to save temperature and costs and only to produce seeds.
But we need some update first, gotta explain how came to these selection for new seeds.
I came across with some amazing varieties, and my growing methods and experiments gave me some super quality buds to taste.
I'm very happy with the results. and very high...
Let's talk about new varieties in my stable.
First here's some sweet pink grapefruit S1 form Alpine seeds.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

first tall pheno

picture.php

and second small pheno.
Tnx to Dimodz for these!
Curious seeds. They were labelled as S1, so expected females. But the ended up into 2 females and 3 males... One showed just one female flower on an overall male plant, the others were normal males. Dunno what happened with them or if some different pollen was used or mixed in. But finished product is amazing.
Exotic, full, fresh, fruity, grapey creamy smoke. very complex and always changing. strong mental high. very satisfying in all aspects. cannot say grapefruit though. I'm very exigent on this aspect and it lacks that orange-tangerine-funky taste, compared to the others varieties I have now.
But very close to some Female seeds grapefruit I tried or to some dynamite or grapefruit x diesel from next gen seeds. It looks like a stronger, more vigorous, better plant. Incredible. Special indeed.
But needs some testing to find out if it's an S1 or a regular cross (which would improve the value of this seeds IMO).
A keeper.

...continues....

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Second, but not as importance, I need to mention my score with some new NYCD beans. Not satisfied yet with the taste I got from all the Soma's beans, compared to NYCD in amsterdam, I kept on going the grapefruit project.
Now, after more than 150+ seeds, original, S1, crosses, and F2s I got it.
After some curing, after all the judging I did and comparison I found a plant which I can say It's THAT one!
Grapefruit, tangerine, sweet, overwhelming taste is all there, on the stalks, on the dried buds and in the jar, when you grind it and when you smoke it, from the beginning to the end, and lasts for 10 minutes more.
That's the ONE I was looking for for so long. And I found it!!
I'm soooo happy I achieved my goal after soo long.
It came from an S1 seed. I have seen 2 different batches of those.
The first one form last year disappointed me a bit, but I got some product closer to what I dreamt, so, after Soma's promises I tried a new fresh batch of seeds.
And among those that I found her. The other 9 are better plants, better vigour and shape, definitely closer to NYCD. One of them it's her, with no compromise in any aspect.
Sad is to think how much energy I poured into them. I expected some better quality of seeds for the asked price. And I'm quite driven by obsession somehow... But I got it.
Here's some picts:

picture.php

picture.php

From the keeper

and from some other sisters

picture.php

picture.php

I've worked extensively with all the seed line of NYCD I came across. From the very start I realized it is a strong plant, very well worth keeping. The problem is that all the seeds that came from the supposed nycd mother gave birth to soo many different kinds of siblings, showing LOTS of variations.
Actually never got 2 plants which were identical. Mostly I was disappointed as I couldn't find the amsterdam one.

I needed 30 S1 seeds to find one. Definitely a recessive trait.
It had a fat indica dominating leaf pattern, but with more vigour than the normal afgani leaning pheno of nycd (common in nycdS1). Sort of special afgani hawaian perfect balance. Colas production is good, larger than average nycd s1, but not extreme as some old sativa leaning phenos.
I'm starting to think that I need to sow some more of those spice from MNS to look for the indica side of the cross.
Some sativa leaning phenos of spice were really close to old nycd. and somehow grapefruity!

Normally it's not a good practice to breed with S1 lines. IMO
They're less vigorous and sort of watered down compared to regular seeds.
But regarding trait segregation, this time it may be intersting because I was looking for a specific recessive trait. But things I think are a bit more complicated. There's should be some condition of gene suppressing or enhancing involved to display the grapefruit. Need to lay down some more datas to put this into a theory.
I would love some input on this...

Most of my old nycd I had were crossed and seeds tried from the best one.
I know how it performs, under many conditions. So I'm going to try to stabilize this recessive trait, gotta find the right male for this, but, as I don't have the original clone for backcrossing (as a correct breeding procedure would suggest) it's going to take a bit longer.
A lot of work... but It doesn't scare me....
I'm happy to have found my keeper. Now let's play with it...

...continues...

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
And let's speak about some orange....
In the last round I had the immense pleasure to see that my AO male passed some very interesting traits to his sibling, sometimes really well mixed in the original taste of the mother. So I have a bunch of new wonderfully smelling orange stuff.
but I had amazing results as well from Chimera's beans. Attracted by them for the C+ (cali O aeric77 x blueberry) I got some grapefruit x BB too.
REally beautiful plants.
I light up a C+ joint and a special mix of orange flavours and berry sweet tones invades my mouth. creamy as a blueberry muffin grading to orange sweets...
WOW! this stuff is potent too.
Never found a blueberry cross very satifiying for potency, but this one delivers her power fast. Cali O is not known for potency, so the blueberry 130 male was a really good selection.
This pops out also for GF x BB. I can see the same exotic flavour of spg mixed the same way with the blueberry.
Truly for connoisseur...
REsin production is abundant and plants are strong. Gotta try the outdoor.
Here are some picts:

C+
picture.php

picture.php

and Gf x BB
picture.php

picture.php

other pheno
picture.php

thank Chimera an big rep for your work.
For sure there is some potential in C+ x AO....
gotta go now,
I have so many plants to report still. keep it grapefruit and I'm still busy as hell, so don't mind if I answer a bit late...
take care everyone
Dr.P

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
congrats on finding your nycd grail! she's a real beauty.

i'm sure that joint is sublime (or sub-grapefruit? yuk yuk :D) :joint:

i requested your AO crosses again with my last order. we'll see if clarence can find any!

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Dr P.

Love your threads!

Did you ever try Mosca's Grapefruit Fly? Not sure why this one is not mentioned.

Also, you found the Agent Orange to be more Orange than the C+?

Thanks!

R.Fortune

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Dr P.

Love your threads!

Did you ever try Mosca's Grapefruit Fly? Not sure why this one is not mentioned.

Also, you found the Agent Orange to be more Orange than the C+?

Thanks!

R.Fortune

I have a couple of packs of grapefruit fly ready to be sown, lacking space..-
i know it's good as I tried directly from Mosca.
it's sweet but as sweet as as good spg, as her c99 father gives amazing fruity and sweet pinepple tones to it. but I'm after the grapefruit goo that gives you only proper grown nycd.
Ao, it' s adifferent citrous story, but the kick in flavour and her citrousness in your mouth are similar to nycd effect.
C plus has the same funk in smell as ao, so much that leads me to think that orange velvet is california orange, or at least one of her siblings.
bb diluites and changes a lot smell and taste. it's richer, more blue, thicker and more expanding. her effect is mellow and relaxing, when ao is up, high and trippy due to the jtr male that boosts up.
both are amazing smoke though:biggrin:
keep tuned as I've much to tell about new projects, just have little time.
see you soon

eskimo

Veteran
greetings there doc....,, pffffff what a journie and what a big dedication big respect....
it would be sooo great if you would find a way to make a nysd ilb so more people can taste
this greapfruit goddes... that would be so great ....

all the best wishes mate

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
the grapefruit god..thats what i like, excellent work as always...cant wait to put my hands in some of your creation dr.!!

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Bump, it matters.

picture.php

It's an old bagseed x Sensi Star x nycd. Cherry candy nose and taste.
No grapefruit, but thought I would share.