What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Bag Seed test grow

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
So I find myself with many strains bought from the bay and bou that I should grow, I bought them to grow them right? So I am going to try to pop some old ass bag seed from days of yore. The seeds in these containers are at least seven years old and could be as old as twenty eight years. It is all of the seeds I have been saving since I was in my late teens. As you can see they were stored under great conditions (sarcasm) and none may even pop but I gotta try. I am secretly hoping for an old school road kill skunk. I popped the six beans pictured below today. I put three each into two shot glasses with 6.0 pH RO water and one drop per ml of H2O2. I put them on top of my computer with party cups over them. If they don't pop I have a few more to try at least.

Container 1

Container 2

Long term storage method

The chosen six

In water and hoping for some roots

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wish I still had my pill bottle full of bag seed. I had some really great beans, but who knows where the f they are now...

C'mon tap roots! :)

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
cool major!
i'll be watching.
hoping for taproots :D

Thanks frank, I hope to put on a good show.

I wish I still had my pill bottle full of bag seed. I had some really great beans, but who knows where the f they are now...

C'mon tap roots! :)

Thanks man and that is a bummer, I wish you still had it too.

Maybe with some GA3?

What is GA3? I up for anything and I have a lot of seeds to test with. One of my goals with this is to find the best method for cracking old beans.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
good luck to you. Should be fun if nothing else.

Did you only pick six seeds to plant? If so did you do so for legal reasons to stay within your medical limits? Or was it just a random number.

Because I grew up growing bag seed, and the best method I ever found for growing them is to plant a SHITLOAD of them. Like I would literally plant over 100 seeds. Then within two weeks or even one week, I would weed that number down to ten or twenty. Those ten or twenty healthy plants out of a selection of hundreds means I would have VERY healthy plants.

My friends used to always ask why my bagseed looked so good. The secret was extremely high selection numbers. I'd only keep the absolute most vigorous specimen, and ones that stood out to me for some reason. The ones that seemed like they were calling me to keep them.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I am way under my legal number right now and I could have done more but I really want to find a fairly reliable way to crack old bag seed so I am going to keep trying higher levels of H2O2 and see if I can't find a magic ratio that seems to give good results. I stay within my plant limits so hundreds is not really an option for me right now but who knows, maybe Oregon will legalize it this year and we can go nuts.

Friend

Veteran
I'll be watching this thread to see what happens! I hope you wind up with something good

M

MrSterling

I'm always interested in seeing what comes out of bag seed here on icmag! Good luck to ya.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Awesome thread. Best of luck...fingers crossed.

I'll be watching this thread to see what happens! I hope you wind up with something good

I'm always interested in seeing what comes out of bag seed here on icmag! Good luck to ya.

Thanks guys I appreciate all of the support :thank you:

So all six have sunk and I will be putting three of them into coco tonight and the other three I will put into coco 24 hours later.

omni

What is GA3? I up for anything and I have a lot of seeds to test with. One of my goals with this is to find the best method for cracking old beans.[/quote]

Product Description
Gibberellic acid was first discovered in Japan in 1935 as a result of the study of a condition common in rice plants called "foolish seedling" disease, which caused the plants to grow much taller than normal. The effects of gibberellins weren't widely understood until years later. Gibberellic acid, GA3 is a naturally occurring plant hormone that regulates the growth of plants, including triggering seed germination. Gibberellic Acid is not manufactured; it's a natural product extracted from the Gibberella fujikuroi fungus. There are over 100 known forms of gibberellic acid; GA3 is the most effective.

Seeds of many plant species require exposure to low or high temperature within a certain period before they will germinate. This process is called thermal stratification. Alternatively, the hormone gibberelline can be used to break such dormancy.

GA3 Powder 90% is soluble in 70% common rubbing alcohol. Before it can be used is must be turned into a liquid. The amount of Gibberellic acid that needs to be used is very small. Drop the correct amount of powder in a small bottle, then add a few drops of rubbing alcohol. The only reason to use alcohol is to dilute the Gibberellic acid powder. Use just enough alcohol to wet the gibberellic acid powder. If after a couple of minutes you can still see some powder add a few more drops of alcohol. Then just add water to get he right concentration. It is often being said that alcohol will damage plants. Yes, but not in the very low concentration needed to dissolve Gibberellic acid. 90% GA3 powder will not dissolve in water. Once mixed it loses viability within a week, even if refrigerated.

You don't need much of the solution to soak your seeds, just enough for the seeds to fully swell. Most seeds can be soaked in the small poly-bags. Tiny seeds should be folded up in a filter paper for ease of handling when soaking. Larger seeds can be soaked in a pill bottle or small jar.

To know the concentration, replace X and Y, (X mg / Yml) x 1000 = Z ppm
To know the amount of solution to make to get a certain ppm, replace X and Z, (X mg / Z ppm) x 1000 = Y ml
To know the quantity of powder to use, replace Z and Y, (Z ppm x Y ml) / 1000 = X mg

For exemple: 100mg of GA3 in 200ml of water gives you 200ml at 500 ppm (part per million). 100mg of GA3 in 400ml of water gives you 400ml at 250 ppm. 1g of GA3 at 90% concentration will be supplied as a powder in a small ziplock bag, sufficient quantity to make a 2 liters of solution at 500 ppm. You should have enough for a couple of years.

Use strong solution, 500 ppm, on very hard to germinate seeds; and a 250 ppm on seeds that are just hard or slow to start. Seeds enclosed in a hard coat may be submit to a higher concentration, 750-1000 ppm. You can scarify the seeds at first. Soak seeds for 24 hours and at most three days for the ones enclosed in a hard coat. Keep the seeds at room temperature with occasional careful shaking. The seeds may then be sown. Don't use it on easy to start seeds unless you dilute it greatly, like 25-100 ppm, and soak them only for 2-3 hours. Normal, easy-to-sprout seeds will become very elongated and stretched out, then die if GA3 is used on them. Concentrations of about 2 ppm can cause tubers to sprout earlier.

Gibberellic acid can also influence the timing of flowering, flower gender, flower size and increase the number of flowers. If a plant is sufficiently developed, premature flowering may be induced by direct application of GA3 to young plants. Formation of male flowers is generally promoted by concentrations of 10 to 200 ppm, female flowers by concentrations of 200 to 300 ppm. You may have an increase in the number of flowers by direct application of GA3 to young plants, at 25 ppm.

When there is difficulty with fruit set because of incomplete pollination, GA3 may be effectively used to increase fruit set. The resulting fruit maybe partially or entirely seedless.

GA3 applied near the terminal bud of trees may increase the rate of growth by stimulating more or less constant growth during the season. Since GA3 regulates growth, applications of very low concentrations can have a profound effect while too much will have the opposite effect.

Although GA3 is not listed as a poison, the following precautions should be observed. Flush with water any GA3 that may get into the eye. Avoid skin contact if possible and wash away any contact with soap and water.
Avoid ingestion of GA3.
Product Tags

De gibberelline worden geproduceerd in grotere massa wanneer het koud is. Zij bevorderen cel verlenging, het breken en het ontluiken, zaadloze vruchten, en zaadgerminatie. Zij doen laatste door de latentie van het zaad te breken en als chemische boodschapper te handelen. Zijn hormoon bindt aan een receptor en Ca+2 activeert een proteïne, calmodulin, en het complex bindt aan DNA, producerend een enzym om de groei in het embryo te bevorderen.

100 mg. GA3 in een paar druppels alcohol oplossen en dan in 200cc water geeft 500 ppm
10 mg GA3 ,, ,, ,, ,, ,, 200cc water ,, 50 ppm
Voor de NMS methode dus 10 mg GA3 in 400 cc water.
Rarexoticseeds over zaad weken:
Use strong solution, 500 ppm, on very hard to germinate seeds; and a 250 ppm on seeds that are just hard or slow to start. Seeds enclosed in a hard coat may be submit to a higher concentration, 750-1000 ppm. You can scarify the seeds at first. Soak seeds for 24 hours and at most three days for the ones enclosed in a hard coat. Keep the seeds at room temperature with occasional careful shaking. The seeds may then be sown. Don't use it on easy to start seeds unless you dilute it greatly, like 25-100 ppm, and soak them only for 2-3 hours. Normal, easy-to-sprout seeds will become very elongated and stretched out, then die if GA3 is used on them. Concentrations of about 2 ppm can cause tubers to sprout earlier.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Cool, thanks man, I will have to find some to test with.

///EDIT/// I think there is an error there though, he says to use rubbing alcohol which you would not want to do because it has lanolin oil in it. I think he meant to say ISO.

Last edited:

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
if you've got the time and space, it's fun doing these kinds of things....

reminds me of forrest gump....

"Life is like a box of choc-o-lates. You never know what yer gonna get til ya take a bite."

some of the most sought after strains today have arisen from a freak bagseed.

:lurk:

-cap

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm pullin for ya, I love a good bag seed grow. I still have mine from the mid 90's. One day I'll pop them.

waveguide

Veteran
other things to try...

(in the first place.. while GA3 is used to promote germination, it is a root retardant.. you should rinse before the radical appears)

presoak in some nitrogen fertilizer to replace the foods stored int he cotyledons that have deteriorated.

try storing the seeds in a sealed container with an apple or banana for a few days. these release ethylene, which not only helps some seed species germinate (i have no clue if that includes cannabis, all the seeds i've had since i heard that have been fresh) - ethylene also promotes female genetics.

i always use h2o2 for germination, fresh or no. kills fungus and molds, oxygenates, no issues with application to healthy tissues.

good luck, and think good thoughts! :)

M

MrSterling

Cool, thanks man, I will have to find some to test with.

///EDIT/// I think there is an error there though, he says to use rubbing alcohol which you would not want to do because it has lanolin oil in it. I think he meant to say ISO.

A good source for GA3 is J.L. Hudson, Seedsman. http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/ - Which is also an incredible source for all sorts of plants from common to rare. I think the company is a stoner's dream. They're snail-mail oriented, particular about their seeds, and will send you a refund in stamps if you pay too much.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
other things to try...

(in the first place.. while GA3 is used to promote germination, it is a root retardant.. you should rinse before the radical appears)

presoak in some nitrogen fertilizer to replace the foods stored int he cotyledons that have deteriorated.

try storing the seeds in a sealed container with an apple or banana for a few days. these release ethylene, which not only helps some seed species germinate (i have no clue if that includes cannabis, all the seeds i've had since i heard that have been fresh) - ethylene also promotes female genetics.

i always use h2o2 for germination, fresh or no. kills fungus and molds, oxygenates, no issues with application to healthy tissues.

good luck, and think good thoughts! :)

Thanks man, that is good info.

dasher65

Purchased GA3 from Rare Exotic Seeds. Bizarre...of all the seeds & stuff I've gotten through the mail to Aust. the package containing the GA3 was checked right out by customs.

S'pose it might have been the white powder in little snap lock bags got 'em curious!

Good luck with this exercise mate. I myself have a few strains from the 80's frozen so I'll watch this post with interest