Old Bag Seed test grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

other things to try...

(in the first place.. while GA3 is used to promote germination, it is a root retardant.. you should rinse before the radical appears)

presoak in some nitrogen fertilizer to replace the foods stored int he cotyledons that have deteriorated.

try storing the seeds in a sealed container with an apple or banana for a few days. these release ethylene, which not only helps some seed species germinate (i have no clue if that includes cannabis, all the seeds i've had since i heard that have been fresh) - ethylene also promotes female genetics.

i always use h2o2 for germination, fresh or no. kills fungus and molds, oxygenates, no issues with application to healthy tissues.

good luck, and think good thoughts!
    strain zombie says: straaaaaiiins

"I think the prevailing attitudes.. ..that community is completely harmless and beneficial is wishful thinking at best, ignorant and delusional in many cases, and are the "snake oil" of the charlatan in the worst cases."

where there is certainty, consideration is absent
    koala tea seeds

Comment

Originally posted by Maj.Cottonmouth View Post
      Cool, thanks man, I will have to find some to test with.

///EDIT/// I think there is an error there though, he says to use rubbing alcohol which you would not want to do because it has lanolin oil in it. I think he meant to say ISO.
      A good source for GA3 is J.L. Hudson, Seedsman. http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/ - Which is also an incredible source for all sorts of plants from common to rare. I think the company is a stoner's dream. They're snail-mail oriented, particular about their seeds, and will send you a refund in stamps if you pay too much.

Comment

That is awesome, thank you Mr Sterling.
        All My Children
        1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
        Easy Smart Pot Transplant

So, in summation: The CIA, with a little help from the Nazis, accidentally helped invent hippies while they were trying to figure out how to brainwash communists.

Comment

Originally posted by waveguide View Post
          other things to try...

(in the first place.. while GA3 is used to promote germination, it is a root retardant.. you should rinse before the radical appears)

presoak in some nitrogen fertilizer to replace the foods stored int he cotyledons that have deteriorated.

try storing the seeds in a sealed container with an apple or banana for a few days. these release ethylene, which not only helps some seed species germinate (i have no clue if that includes cannabis, all the seeds i've had since i heard that have been fresh) - ethylene also promotes female genetics.

i always use h2o2 for germination, fresh or no. kills fungus and molds, oxygenates, no issues with application to healthy tissues.

good luck, and think good thoughts!

Thanks man, that is good info.
          All My Children

So, in summation: The CIA, with a little help from the Nazis, accidentally helped invent hippies while they were trying to figure out how to brainwash communists.

Comment

Purchased GA3 from Rare Exotic Seeds. Bizarre...of all the seeds & stuff I've gotten through the mail to Aust. the package containing the GA3 was checked right out by customs.

S'pose it might have been the white powder in little snap lock bags got 'em curious!

Good luck with this exercise mate. I myself have a few strains from the 80's frozen so I'll watch this post with interest

Comment

Originally posted by kaotic View Post
              I'm pullin for ya, I love a good bag seed grow. I still have mine from the mid 90's. One day I'll pop them.
              You should pop them before too much time goes on!

Comment

Too many seeds, not enough room.
                **** your feelings.

I do not grow/manufacture any scheduled substance. Everything posted by this online account is pure fiction and should be regarded as such. All photographs are examples taken from other internet sites.

Comment

I am so excited

Two of the six have popped ground are looking good so far. I am really shocked, I almost posted in here earlier tonight that nothing was happening but I figured I would dig them up first and when I went into water tonight those two were sticking their heads up.

All My Children

Comment

awesome! i wish there was some way of knowing the exact age of the seeds that germinate.

Comment

Great idea major! I'm sure we all have a few pill bottles lying around of old bag seed from back in the day.

Congrats on your two sprouts and I'll be tagging along!

Any idea if you kept only the dankest seeds or separated them a bit when found originally?? I have a couple pill bottles with the beaners coming from different grades of chronic. So are we looking at a crap shoot or some beans from some good herb, eh??

Comment

Hey Major, I started sowing some 6-8 year old seeds 04/03/12 and some are finally up (14), doing good, and a few others have the two Cotyledons but no First True Leaves. Usually the first true leaves will start to grow, but I've had a couple Huckleberries in the past that never grew past the Cotyledons. So I'm real curious how yours grow out having 10 years or more on them. I never did refrigerate any of my seeds, and I have read that the cold helps them germinate better. Good luck.

Cheers
                        Parchment Farm
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Cannabis Eruptum:
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Jack Herer... by Gatewood Galbraith

The 'Last Free Man in America' Speaks

He changed my life. Jack was a social and philosophical tsunami; the ripples of his philosophy will reach every shore of every country. He was willing to teach every individual--not only in his own sphere, in language and culture, but in ways that were appealing and inspirational to people. He found a common denominator with everyone: freedom.

Jack gave us the factual information, he gave us tools to be warriors. We had to use the facts in order to stand up to these law enforcement tyrannts. Jack used the information that they presented and told us how to use it as fuel against them. We would not be anywhere near where we are today if it wasn't for Jack Herer. I don't have many heroes--Jack, Willie Nelson, the Chinese man that stood in front of the tanks...people that stood up in the matter of rights.

Comment

Bonzo BoUnCeS back...

FREEDOM for BONZ

"When one objectively acknowledges, accepts, and embraces one's weaknesses; they in fact, no longer continue to be that."(PTD)

Comment

good luck man. bagseed can suprise you. found a few keepers my last bagseed run.

Comment

so has anyone tried Gibberellic Acid and had success using it on old seeds, sounds like a very interesting and useful product??????????

Comment

Originally posted by Friend View Post
                                awesome! i wish there was some way of knowing the exact age of the seeds that germinate.
                                You and me both Friend.

Originally posted by LouDog420 View Post
                                Great idea major! I'm sure we all have a few pill bottles lying around of old bag seed from back in the day.

Congrats on your two sprouts and I'll be tagging along!

Any idea if you kept only the dankest seeds or separated them a bit when found originally?? I have a couple pill bottles with the beaners coming from different grades of chronic. So are we looking at a crap shoot or some beans from some good herb, eh??

View Image
                                Thanks Lou, I kept just about everything so it is definitely a crap shoot when it comes to quality.

Originally posted by BlueCheer View Post
                                Hey Major, I started sowing some 6-8 year old seeds 04/03/12 and some are finally up (14), doing good, and a few others have the two Cotyledons but no First True Leaves. Usually the first true leaves will start to grow, but I've had a couple Huckleberries in the past that never grew past the Cotyledons. So I'm real curious how yours grow out having 10 years or more on them. I never did refrigerate any of my seeds, and I have read that the cold helps them germinate better. Good luck.

Cheers
                                Thanks BlueCheer and it will be interesting to see how they do, mine are being verrrrry slow. If you have a thread for them going post a link here so we can check them out.

Originally posted by supermanlives View Post
                                good luck man. bagseed can suprise you. found a few keepers my last bagseed run.
                                Thanks man and that is great to hear.

Originally posted by cloneX View Post
                                so has anyone tried Gibberellic Acid and had success using it on old seeds, sounds like a very interesting and useful product??????????
                                I have not tried it yet but I do plan to order some and try it out. I will post my experiments with it here.

No more of the original six seeds have popped but the two that did are still alive but growing very very slowly.

All My Children

Comment

Working...
                                X