What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Bag Seed test grow

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I am so excited :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Two of the six have popped ground are looking good so far. I am really shocked, I almost posted in here earlier tonight that nothing was happening but I figured I would dig them up first and when I went into water tonight those two were sticking their heads up.

L

LouDog420

Great idea major! I'm sure we all have a few pill bottles lying around of old bag seed from back in the day.

Congrats on your two sprouts and I'll be tagging along!

Any idea if you kept only the dankest seeds or separated them a bit when found originally?? I have a couple pill bottles with the beaners coming from different grades of chronic. So are we looking at a crap shoot or some beans from some good herb, eh??

dance013.gif

BlueCheer

Hey Major, I started sowing some 6-8 year old seeds 04/03/12 and some are finally up (14), doing good, and a few others have the two Cotyledons but no First True Leaves. Usually the first true leaves will start to grow, but I've had a couple Huckleberries in the past that never grew past the Cotyledons. So I'm real curious how yours grow out having 10 years or more on them. I never did refrigerate any of my seeds, and I have read that the cold helps them germinate better. Good luck.

Cheers

cloneX

so has anyone tried Gibberellic Acid and had success using it on old seeds, sounds like a very interesting and useful product??????????

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
awesome! i wish there was some way of knowing the exact age of the seeds that germinate.

You and me both Friend.

Great idea major! I'm sure we all have a few pill bottles lying around of old bag seed from back in the day.

Congrats on your two sprouts and I'll be tagging along!

Any idea if you kept only the dankest seeds or separated them a bit when found originally?? I have a couple pill bottles with the beaners coming from different grades of chronic. So are we looking at a crap shoot or some beans from some good herb, eh??

View Image

Thanks Lou, I kept just about everything so it is definitely a crap shoot when it comes to quality.

Hey Major, I started sowing some 6-8 year old seeds 04/03/12 and some are finally up (14), doing good, and a few others have the two Cotyledons but no First True Leaves. Usually the first true leaves will start to grow, but I've had a couple Huckleberries in the past that never grew past the Cotyledons. So I'm real curious how yours grow out having 10 years or more on them. I never did refrigerate any of my seeds, and I have read that the cold helps them germinate better. Good luck.

Cheers

Thanks BlueCheer and it will be interesting to see how they do, mine are being verrrrry slow. If you have a thread for them going post a link here so we can check them out.

good luck man. bagseed can suprise you. found a few keepers my last bagseed run.

Thanks man and that is great to hear.

so has anyone tried Gibberellic Acid and had success using it on old seeds, sounds like a very interesting and useful product??????????

I have not tried it yet but I do plan to order some and try it out. I will post my experiments with it here.

No more of the original six seeds have popped but the two that did are still alive but growing very very slowly.

G

gloryoskie

Old seed are cool. I had some saved unintentionally in the folds of some LPs.
2 out of 7 popped and are in flower now, they like classic rock music, natch.

Cheers on your old school grow!

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
So the two that popped are still alive, sort of. They look really funky and I don't expect them to make it. I ordered some GA-3 today and I will be trying it on some seeds one I get it and I will post my results here.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
They have a growing shoot coming up, be it deformed, but I think they will make it. Good luck and will be waiting - I am interested in this thread.

TGT

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
You have inspired me.. I have a bunch of seeds in an old humidor that's been sealed for the most part of the past 20 years.. I'm gonna have to dig some of them out and see if they'll pop..

mgk :tiphat:

monkey5

Veteran
Try to use a nail file. Use it on the pointed end of the seed. File away that point & sides of the seeds. I use distilled water..very weak b vitamins.. keep a close eye on them as they may not have the energy to get out of the shells & up & growing! You may have to "help" them out..I have used a magnifier to see exactly what I am doing with an exacto knife..carefully "help" them out! I hope this helps you out! I have had very good results with some old seeds from Reefermans older selections!! Humboldt Select seeds were from his best days. Enjoy! monkey5

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Here they are today. I got my GA-3 but my veg area is pretty full right now so it will be a while before I try to pop some more. I hope these two get big enough to take clones off of and that those clones grow normally.

picture.php