What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A really interesting text

Starwea

Finally good arguments to tell someone who blindly maintains that "today's marijuana is more powerful"

A really interesting text that I found in a vice article, which while not intended to talk about how potent marijuana was, did finally cast doubt on the belief that potency has been increasing:

By 1995, politics and culture had changed radically, and the war on drugs was inescapable. That year, Bill Clinton’s drug czar Lee Brown was making a similar—but even more explosive—claim. "Marijuana is 40 times more potent today… than 10, 15, 20 years ago."

The following year, current Democratic presidential candidate and pot legalization foe Joe Biden argued that comparing 1990s weed to that from the 60s was like "comparing buckshot in a shotgun shell to a laser-guided missile." By 2002, a new drug czar, John Walters, was warning, "It is not your father's marijuana," and claiming a 30-fold recent increase in weed strength.

Of course, any argument that weed has become more potent (and, by implication, more dangerous) assumes we actually know how strong it was in decades past. But most of the hard numbers on changes in cannabis potency come from the government's Potency Monitoring Program, which has been run by the University of Mississippi since 1971 and is the only major lab focused on studying how it has changed historically. Their data relies on samples seized by law enforcement, which introduces variables that make accurate comparison over time—particularly in the early years—difficult.

For one, the researchers only had access to about 150-200 samples per year in the early 1970s. With so few samples, the data could be based on unrepresentative ditchweed—not what most people were actually smoking. To wit, in yet another potency scare story, this one from 1986, the Times reported on data from the project finding that in 1974, the average percent of THC—the active ingredient that causes the high—was just .5 percent. That is basically a placebo. Indeed, it is legal now to sell hemp that contains just a tad less—.3 percent—because it is so difficult to get high on something with so little punch. Clearly, there was some sort of error.

Fascinatingly, the government actually tracks how high people say they get from taking drugs. If titration weren't occurring, this data should show a rise that corresponds with the true increase of potency over time. But, in reality, pot smokers titrate: while there was an upward trend for some years in the 1990s, the proportion of high school seniors who blazed and said they got "very high" when they smoked pot is virtually the same as it was in 1975. The number for 1975 was 25.5 percent; for 2018, it was 25.4.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pa7anb/why-weed-should-be-legal-its-getting-stronger-more-potent

Cvh

Supermod
And in reality modern day hybrids are lame stoning stuff. While in the old days you had high soaring rocket fueled unhybridized Sativa strains. Many people are now busy trying to revive that ye olde good stuff.

El Timbo

It's a stupid argument anyway - in the old days (in Europe) most people smoked hash, which is obviously way stronger in terms of thc/g than any flower.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I've been toking for more than 50 years...
Spent a lot of time in the hills of Jamaica in the early 70's...
And smoked some of the best weed Mexico, Panama and Columbia had to offer...

If you wanna get trashed and pass out on the sofa, today's weed is for you..

But if you wanna get high as a kite, and enjoy a mind-expanding, cerebral stone, the weed from the early 70's was far superior....

Cappy

Few of these arguments take the users tolerance into account, mostly because it's not measurable. In the end, potency is determined by the individual, not the thc percentage.

Starwea

I just see it as an interesting text, if you ask me for my personal point of view, I would just say that not everything is thc.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Few of these arguments take the users tolerance into account, mostly because it's not measurable. In the end, potency is determined by the individual, not the thc percentage.

It has nothing to do with tolerance. It has to do with the effects.

PDX Dopesmoker

I was taught in high school drug education class that bud was about 5% THC and that was within the timeframe Bill Clinton’s drug czar Lee Brown saying weed was supposedly 40x less powerful, so I guess we must be up to about 420% THC by now since 1995 was 26 years ago.
Trimming bud substantially enhances it's THC%, the old compressed imports and most of the other stuff that used to be available was never trimmed. Seedlessness also boosts THC%, if there is anything that makes today's stuff seem stronger its the trimming & the fact almost nobody sells seeded bud. You can actually get your weed to lab test substantially over 60% THC if you trim it all the way down to trichome heads only, that works even if you had seeds on the plant. Remove the trichome cuticle in a rosin press and dewax the results and you can probably push it to nearly 90% THC

GanjaMisfit

Well here's my opinion not that anyone asked haha. While I don't think that the best weed by todays standards is any more potent than the best weed from back in the day. I do feel that the average person has easier access to more potent weed these days than the average person from back in the day. Which means for the average consumer today's weed is more potent in a manner of speaking.

Latest posts

Latest posts