What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mozambiquen

Rembetis

Hello everyone,

Thought I would document this grow since there hasnt been much written on this particular South African line.

A bit of background,
I had a 12 pack of the Malberry Mozambiquen Poison. They were getting old so I planted them and was lucky enough to get 12 of 12. All were stable with no issues so I did an open pollination with all 7 males on the 5 females.
They were fairly easy to grow for a raw Land Race type. I was able to control height by tying down the tops and also dropped down to an 11/13 light cycle.

The mature buds were what you would expect from this type of strain. Very long strands of flowers stacked on top of each other. It reminds me of Broom Corn. Resin was plentiful but yields are low due to the light airy bud structure.

The high varied from clear and cold to clear and warm with very strong heart racing effects the first 1/2 hour or so. I ended up making Hash out of it. It has a wonderful smell to it. Very minty with a strong exotic fruit smell which I am not familiar with. I love to open the jar and smell it

Rembetis

I would love to hear from you members like Oldbootz that live over there. I found a comment from a guy that said that the strains from eastern Africa are very similar. From what I have seen so far that seems plausible.
This strain has a ton of Red Hairs which looks like the Swazi but other descriptions sound like it could be Black Maconde. I have also grown out Ace Malawi and it was very similar even though the Ace has been worked.

Another reason I want to hear from you guys is that I have the chance to grow out other Malberry strains like Mulanje and Zambezi as well as Swazi. If there really isnt much difference then I wont bother.

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hi Rembetis,

I think Mozamb is more related to Swaz and Malawi but there's relations with Tanzania and Madagascar too. Anyway in itself Mozamb is a true landrace place, not really the same as others. Have fun bro! (mix tropical/equator)

Your open 5 fem x 7 males is nice bravo, without intersex or hermi? Good job by Malberry!

Rembetis

Roms, no intersex or hermie problems at all.

As far as I know Malberry was selling bag seed from the areas where they were collected so it was direct from the farmers. Malberry didnt do any work. They wholesaled out to Holy Smoke and the other seed banks like that that were offering African Strains.

That is why I was asking if I should try out the Zambian or Mulanje. Seems like a last chance to try out some pure untouched strains from the area unless someone new starts making seeds available. These seeds are getting old. I have been thru the African thread and cant find much about Mulanje or Zambian except for the Zambian Copper from a different seed bank. The few photos I have seen look decent. Finding time in the tent to give these others a try is difficult but I am willing to move these up if it would be worth it. I may just have to go for it and see.

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Good game + your fruity good ones find! :D

Your hasch parallel is interesting too, South African strains can be considered as sativa hashplant i think. Did you find special sticky resin properties than usual?

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
As far as I know Malberry was selling bag seed from the areas where they were collected so it was direct from the farmers. Malberry didnt do any work. They wholesaled out to Holy Smoke and the other seed banks like that that were offering African Strains.

Ah ok, anyway good pass by Malberry, seems to be a good line worked by farmers, less wild and hermi i mean...

Rembetis

Good game + your fruity good ones find! :D

Your hasch parallel is interesting too, South African strains can be considered as sativa hashplant i think. Did you find special sticky resin properties than usual?

I didnt find anything special about the resin other than the concentration of flavor in the Hash. I havent encountered anything else like it. The mint and fruit are so strong!

I was hoping that maybe the mint/fruit might help pin point if this was indeed a special Mozambiquen. I will post up more photos as the grow progresses. I am not doing seeds this time. Just having a look and replenishing the smoke supply. I have a very large supply :D of seeds if we need to have a more in depth look at this line

Rembetis

Not much going on here yet. Still sorting thru seedlings but all have shown sex so getting down the the few I will grow out for this round.

The first couple fems are going strong now and starting to stretch. I sprouted on an 11/13 cycle so I am expecting them to stay at a manageable size.

Also have some Ethiopian Highland going. 36 days since they showed pre flowers and were transplanted into 2 gallon pots

I had a nice male that I thought showed more of the Ethiopian character than the others so I used him to make seeds

Rembetis

Sorry man, not on here as much since the format change. I like the Ethiopian just fine. Havent had a chance to try the Mozambiquen yet. It needs a good cure but I expect it to be better since this was the second go round with it.

Rembetis

Smoke update on the Ethiopian. It was chopped early May so still getting the long cure needed for these type Sativas. The flavors are really coming on nicely on this line. The buds have a pleasant spice smell to them. Smoke is very smooth with no coughing. High is as expected, a very nice Sativa high. I would rank it closer to the Lebanese smoke which I enjoy very much rather than a trippy Malawi or Thai. Aftertaste from smoking leaves a nice sweet taste in the mouth for quite awhile. All in all a very nice line from the guys at ACE

Latest posts

Latest posts