What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Modern S.E. Asian landraces study

I wanted to study modern S.E. landraces and compare leaf size, bud structure, height, and flowering times, and effect. I think its especially interesting considering the rumor that thai stick farmers which also grow in laos, introduced indica to shorten flowering times and increase yields.

Mind you I dont grow, at the moment.I have tried many supposedly pure sativas nepalese hash, unkown african black hash, swazi herb, swazi kind, lesotho herb, thai herb, mangobiche herb, philipino hash.
The two that really stood out were the thai and lesotho. Both had a very euphoric mystical aspect that made me feel like I was living in an ancient temple of sorts, really mystical, it was the perfect trip, shrooms just cant recreate that feeling, other pure sativas may recreate it at high doses if eaten but i doubt it since i have eaten swazi kief and philipino hash, Im convinced such a feeling can only be recreated by the right sativa.

The thai was very trippy and shroomy, with a more pronounced mystical feeling as it really enveloped you into that state of being. The thai was much more potent, though it looked like it was fermented in comparison to the lesotho.
The Lesotho though shroomy and trippy had a different mystique to it, it was lighter which could make you think it was more clear headed than the thai, but rather i would say it was just different, its like comparing two comfortable balck holes in the universe that sent you into a relaxing, deep, mystical, cosmic void, the thai would make you sink way deep down into the cosmic void enveloping you into it so deeply that you lose touch with anything but this cosmic void sending you to the deepest reaches of the cosmos, whereas the lesotho lightly enveloped you into it yet letting you enter the deep end if you wish, though i havent had enough to tell if it can envelop you as deep as the thai, my senses say yes. Both very clear headed, but I would say the lesotho is much clearer depending on how you look at it, both very euphoric, the lesotho I suppose had less of a soaring effect, the lesotho had a particular child like feeling, both trippy, would make you feel like a hippy (woa poetic rhyme) and had a peaceful relaxing effect, the thai being much more mellow as it is enevlops you deeper, both exactly what I would want as a monk in a monestary, or a person anywhere that wants that deep mystical enchanted life.
:smokeit: :bow:
I almost feel like that mystical enchanted feeling, though not as pronounced as such cannabis, was a part of normal life to humans long ago, but modern chemicals in food, water, air etc has took that away. I think eating organic and using these sativas are the best we can do

Next thread will be about sativas from elsewhere

I will start with the longest flowering sativas

From the landrace team:
LAOS DAK CHEUNG 18-20 weeks exceeding 3 metres

"very euphoric effect, long lasting and psychoactive, very good to enjoy a day of walking with your family and your friends without feeling any heaviness. You will feel highly energized in a natural way. It displays a more “wild” appearance compared to the other line from Laos (Champasak)"

"The aroma of these buds is mainly like the one emanating from the Sanguinaria plant (Sanguinaria canadensis). There is no better example to compare it to the aroma of this sweet plant"
great vigour, resistant to fungal pests and humidity.

Probably pure

Attachments

• burma_myanmar_1.jpg
    burma_myanmar_1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 66
  • LAOS-DAK-CHEUNG-02-1-768x576.jpg
    LAOS-DAK-CHEUNG-02-1-768x576.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 65
  • LAOS-DAG-CHEUNG-05-768x934.jpg
    LAOS-DAG-CHEUNG-05-768x934.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 73
  • LAOS-DAK-CHEUNG-07-768x576.jpg
    LAOS-DAK-CHEUNG-07-768x576.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Burma mong hsat

Burma mong hsat

From the indian landrace exchange

Burma myanmar mong hsat 18-20 weeks -End of December / Early January- tall classic equatorial sativa structure

Cerebral, very energetic and psychedelic.

Sweet/spicy, cinnamon, pepper, wood, spices, hash, lemongrass and raw mango

Grows well in most environments, although it's eminently an outdoor strain for warm and tropical climates, showing great resistance against heat, rains, wind and fungus.

I'm 99.99% sure this, of all the sativas available as seed , this has unadulterated for centuries

Very thin leaves. very long flowering, if anyone mentions 26 week sativas, remember seed banks will give you a minimum when it comes to flowering, clearly these sativas can go 26 weeks if the bank says 18-20. Very tall, though how tall im not sure, the leaves and coloring are enough to convince me.

Again, look at those leaves :plant grow:

Probably pure

Attachments

• burma_myanmar_1.jpg
    burma_myanmar_1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 62
  • burrma.jpg
    burrma.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20200923-190803_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200923-190803_Instagram.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 63
  • burma_myanmar2.jpg
    burma_myanmar2.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thai Chiang Rai

Thai Chiang Rai

Landrace team

Thai Chiang Rai 16-18 weeks ( 2 weeks shorter than dak cheung) 2 metres max in outdoor (god I hope this is a typo)

"Its calyxes are medium and very resinous, the flowering of the main bud is long and massive, it looks compact but the interior of each bud is airy with endings like wheat. The aromas of this beautiful resin are of papaya, dragonfruit and golden berry. It is a fresh and sweet aroma, its flavor is woody and fruity.
Active, energetic, cerebral, euphoric long-lasting effect disappears without leaving any trace of heaviness in the body.

Please note: the presence of hermaphroditic individuals is not to be ruled out"

Not sure how pure it is.
too short

Attachments

• THAI-CHIANG-RAI-1536x864.jpg
    THAI-CHIANG-RAI-1536x864.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 57
  • THAI-CHIANG-RAI-02.jpg
    THAI-CHIANG-RAI-02.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 59
  • THAI-CHIANG-RAI-01.jpg
    THAI-CHIANG-RAI-01.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Lampung, East Sumatra

Lampung, East Sumatra

collected by a member of the Icmag family during a trip to indonesia, mustafunk

Lampung, East Sumatra,

"full South Indian oldschool NLD look, all foxtail, airy buds"

This one looks pure
But probably too short for a pure line :plant grow:

Attachments

• gxZsFwh.jpg
    gxZsFwh.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 67
Unkown indonesian

Unkown indonesian

Unkown. Indonesian .Looks pure but very short for a pure line

Attachments

• C8GHFfw.jpg
    C8GHFfw.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 59
Aceh Indonesia (impure)

Aceh Indonesia (impure)

A clearly indicised Aceh sativa

Attachments

• buGhGqE.jpg
    buGhGqE.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 48
  • gv4VUXe.jpg
    gv4VUXe.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 43
Random indonesian farm

Random indonesian farm

From a couple indonesian farms that got discovered.

Some farms looks very pure. Super thin leaves, probably 1/3 to 1/2 the final height

And the other farms look indicised

Attachments

• aceh-indonesia-marijuana-farm-apr-2016-shutterstock-editorial-7936338i~2.jpg
    aceh-indonesia-marijuana-farm-apr-2016-shutterstock-editorial-7936338i~2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 50
  • images~2.jpeg
    images~2.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 103105-belasan-hektar-ladang-ganja-dimusnahkan-di-aceh-9XA_large.jpg
    103105-belasan-hektar-ladang-ganja-dimusnahkan-di-aceh-9XA_large.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 53
  • ganja.jpg
    ganja.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 4marwIjZX4.jpg
    4marwIjZX4.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 53
  • ganja (1).jpg
    ganja (1).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 56
Vietnam

Vietnam

From the landrace team

Vietnam

Flowering: 11-15 weeks
Latitude: 20°N
Height: 2 – 3 metres
Aroma: Cream, menthol, eucalyptus, fruity, thyme, lemon, coffee/chocolate smell,camphor, vanilla with some sandalwood
Effect: Clear, active and euphoric
Characteristics: Conical and tower structure

Some plants look pure, some clearly indicised, two to the buds here look pure sativa and one looks hybrid. And short flowering time. Tlt mentions these plants dont grow side branches.

Not pure

Attachments

• VIETNAM-05-150x150.jpg
    VIETNAM-05-150x150.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 58
  • VIETNAM-03-150x150.jpg
    VIETNAM-03-150x150.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 54
  • VIETNAM-06-150x150.jpg
    VIETNAM-06-150x150.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Vietnam-cured-bud-scaled.jpg
    Vietnam-cured-bud-scaled.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 61
  • VIETNAM-7TH-FEBRUARY-2020-768x576.jpg
    VIETNAM-7TH-FEBRUARY-2020-768x576.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 52
Mae Hong Song Thai

Mae Hong Song Thai

From the landrace team

Mae Hong Song Thai

Height: Up to 4 metres in outdoors
Harvest: Throughout December in Thailand
Characteristics: Clear purple and red phenotypes during flowering, tall
Effects: active, energetic, expanding and motivating

Collected at an elevation of 2000 metres above sea level in the province of Mae Hong Song.

Big seeds.
flowering ranges from 11 weeks to 16 weeks some phenotypes of long flowering; its floral structure in some plants is spiked and in others is larger and somewhat harder, more compact but also airy. Some phenotypes show a clear hue of clear purple at the end of their flowering, some with red tones. Their calyxes are big and pointed with beautiful resin that emanates aromas of lime, sweets, others emanate carrot scents with a very subtle touch of mint. Its pistils are very small.
resistant to extreme conditions such as lack of water and excess of water, resistant to pests and fungi

Uncertain about purity

Attachments

• THAI-MOUNTAIN-02-1.jpg
    THAI-MOUNTAIN-02-1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 42
  • THAI-MOUNTAIN-03-1.jpg
    THAI-MOUNTAIN-03-1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 47
Laos, champasak

Laos, champasak

Landrace team
Laos, champasak

Regional harvest: From late November through February. 16-20 weeks
Height: exceeding 3 metres in natural outdoor environment
Aroma: Sweet lime,subtle sandalwood undertones, midnight jasmine,carrot,rue,fruit.

Beautiful, slender and vigorous Sativa with great resistance to pests and fungi

Some plants develop loose flowers of large calyx in the form of wheat structure, others form a more compact structure forming in this way fine and beautiful long tails laden with flowers filled with large swollen pointed chalices of chalice bathed in a layer of resin without becoming compact.
Its effect is active, energetic, cerebral and of long duration.

Seems pure. But that dried looks almost too dense

Probably pure :plant grow:

Attachments

• LAOS-SOUTH-03.jpg
    LAOS-SOUTH-03.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 62
  • LAOS-CHAMPASAK-GREENHOUSE-01.jpg
    LAOS-CHAMPASAK-GREENHOUSE-01.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 57
  • LAOS-SOUTH-01.jpg
    LAOS-SOUTH-01.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 56
  • LAOS-SOUTH-04.jpg
    LAOS-SOUTH-04.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 70
Mae Hong Song Thai (lower elev.)

Mae Hong Song Thai (lower elev.)

Landrace team

Mae Hong song thai 15-16 weeks
October/November
Height: 2 metres outdoors

We have named this line Thai Hill because we have sourced it at 500 metres above sea level. Thai Hill is a sativa of great vigour with large serrated leaves of 7, 9 and 11 leaflets of a medium green with intermodal spaces of 5 to 10cm. It has a veg time that goes from 12 to 15 weeks and a flowering of 15 -16 weeks

its flowers are loose with a moderate resin production and large chalice and aromas of sweet carrots and sweet tropical fruits. Its effect is very clear and active without leaving a trail of heaviness in the end. It is meditative and long lasting, it allows you to remain fully focused and energized, it gives you a feeling of great well-being and expansion. It has a woody flavor with fruity and fragrant touches

Probably impure. larger leaves, short height, and shorter flowering

Attachments

• THAI-HILL-4-1.jpg
    THAI-HILL-4-1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 58
  • THAI-HILL-4-1024x576.jpg
    THAI-HILL-4-1024x576.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 57
  • THAI-HILL-01-768x1024.jpg
    THAI-HILL-01-768x1024.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 50
  • THAI-HIL-02-1-768x1024.jpg
    THAI-HIL-02-1-768x1024.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 55
Northern thai

Northern thai

From the real seed company

Highland thai

December, 3-6 meters!

This is an unusual Thai landrace from the highlands of Northern Thailand and the nearby border regions of Burma. It may have resulted through hybridisation of Yunnanese ‘chinensis’ and Thai ganja landraces. This is a process through which some Indochinese strains are believed to have originated.
Seeds are large and stems are hollow, also suggesting a genetic connection to Yunnanese seed and fibre landraces. Planted close or in restricted areas, plants grow to a single stem.

Bracts are large and resinous, with denser bud formation than is usual for ganja cultigens. There are two phenotypes, namely green and purple. Green types often have a musky, citrus aroma, and purple-blue phenotypes can exhibit mango–carrot scents.

The high has been described by a grower in Hawaii as ‘potent but unique in providing a clear conscious expansion with a calm quality.’ This is distinct from the fierce intensity of classic Isan–Lao ganja.

An unusual and rare landrace. Thin leaves, clear high, very tall and long flowering

Probably pure

Attachments

• Highland-Thai-Green5.jpg
    Highland-Thai-Green5.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Highland-Thai-Green3crop.jpg
    Highland-Thai-Green3crop.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Highland-Thai-Green4-1.jpg
    Highland-Thai-Green4-1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Highland-Thai-Green.jpg
    Highland-Thai-Green.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Highland-Thai-Green2.jpg
    Highland-Thai-Green2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 53
Bolikhamsai lao

Bolikhamsai lao

Real seed company.

Highland laos

2-4 meters, december to january

Fruity, peppery, and musky aromas; Sativa-type architecture

Probably pure

Attachments

• Highland-Lao.jpg
    Highland-Lao.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 50
"Mango thai" rsc

"Mango thai" rsc

There are two main variants, one with strong fruit scents redolent of mango and papaya, the other with ‘darker’ and earthier aromas akin to tobacco, leather, spices, and musk.

The mango plants tend to be lighter and softer green in colour. The richer, more tobacco-scented forms typically have darker-coloured bracts, a trait that’s enhanced on curing. Buds are resinous and will coat a joint in oil during smoking. Smoke is thick, flavourful, and smooth.
The real seed company
Mango thai

Regional Harvest: late December to early January
Height: 2 – 4 metres

This particular ganja landrace is most closely associated with Central Laos, particularly Vientiane Province, though it can be found cultivated in Isan, Northeast Thailand. Whether it’s Thai or Lao is open to interpretation. Northern Isan and Central Laos face each other on opposite banks of the Mekong River, which functions to connect the the two regions economically and culturally. The language of northern Isan is Lao, and local people often refer to the regions on both sides of the river collectively as ‘Meuang Lao’.

Impure. Leaves are way too wide. Grows too much like an indica.

Attachments

• Mango-Thai-1-1.jpg
    Mango-Thai-1-1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Mango-Thai-crop2.jpg
    Mango-Thai-crop2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 58
  • Mango-Thai-2.jpg
    Mango-Thai-2.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Mango-Thai-bowl-crop-1.jpg
    Mango-Thai-bowl-crop-1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 60
Northern lao

Northern lao

The real seed company

Lao village
Regional Harvest: December to January
Height: 2 – 4 metres
Characteristics: Fruity, peppery, and musky aromas;

These landrace seeds are from village gardens. Traditionally, Lao families often cultivate a few Cannabis plants around their home for culinary, medicinal, and recreational use.

Ripe or unripe female inflorescences are added to soups as a flavoring and to get high.

Impure. Leaves are too wide

Attachments

• P_20190731_094931_vHDR_Auto-scaled-1.jpg
    P_20190731_094931_vHDR_Auto-scaled-1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 55
  • P_20190629_120309_vHDR_Auto-scaled-1.jpg
    P_20190629_120309_vHDR_Auto-scaled-1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Lao-photo.jpg
    Lao-photo.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 53

'Boogieman'

If you are used to smoking cookies and og's would those strains get me high? I have always been intrigued because no matter what I bring my dad he claims thai was better but they also had no tolerance to high thc strains back in the day.

If you are used to smoking cookies and og's would those strains get me high? I have always been intrigued because no matter what I bring my dad he claims thai was better but they also had no tolerance to high thc strains back in the day.

Thai was way better. Indicas have a narcotic stone with no high . a pure sativa, especially a spectacular one like thai has a high with no ceiling, its a very shroomy/trippy high, but also not mind foggy/dumb/narcotic like hybrids, very clear and clean headed, no burnout, very potent, very euphoric, giggly, mystical, mind expanding, great visuals (things look much more beautiful), relaxing and mellow but still energizing, some are very energizing or just devoid of mellow, stoniess or both mellow and stonieness but still a lovely high. Not to mention things become very mystical.

And its not the kind of trippy you get from some hybrids, like thinking you just heard something, thats not trippy, thats just annoying, trust me I cant smoke hyrbids or indica anymore it's so annoying, it jas a very unnatural effect that I just dont even consider a high, its like trying to be an indica and sativa at the same time but ita stuck and can't have any of the good aspects of indica or sativa.

I assure you, if you grew a pure sativa, and smoked it after fermenting or long curing, you wouldnt want any other cannabis. It really doesnt compare to hybrids or indicas.

And i highly recommend fermenting aka sweat cure aka malawi cobb style. Its basically aweating fresh buda in a bag then vaccum sealing them then putting them a dark place for weeks or months. The best high I assure you. I think cannabis was meant to be consumed that way. Some pure sativas will barely get you high after drying the, but suddenly after curing for months ir fermenting for a couple weeks you get a super potent tripy soaring euphoric high :plant grow:

Kalinga, Phillipines

Kalinga, Phillipines

The landrace team

The landrace team
Its Vegetative stage can go from 10, 12 and 14 weeks. It has a short flowering cycle of 12 to 14 weeks
Kalinga, Phillipines
Regional Maturation: From mid. October through November
Height 2.5 – 3+ metres outdoors
Effects: Great harmony, euphoria, active.
Aromas: Water melon, sweet lime, melon
Chracteristics: Tall plants. Vigorous and fast growth. Green and purple phenotypes

Its effect is clear, clean and long-lasting. It produces a feeling of great harmony with all the environment that surrounds you. It is cerebral, euphoric and active, great motivator

Genetics: Landrace from Northern Philippines
Origin: Kalinga province
Source: Local Filipino grower.
Latitude: 17N

Directly from the Kalinga province in the Philippines. Genetics with great potential. The plants are grown by native farmers in isolated highland locations. They are very sativa dominant plants: vigorous and resistant to extreme drought conditions. Green phenotypes, a purple-green one, fruity aromas; water melon, melon, sweet lime. Its smoke has a woody flavour and a very subtle sweet and sour aroma. Its structure is conical, with long intermodal spaces, leaves with 5, 7 and 9 bright green leaflets. Some plants develop asymmetrical branches, others are characterized by long floral clusters and have a tower in its main branch of 80cm and more.

Probably an example of a pure landrace that doesnt grow like a long flowering, tall, psychedelic sativa

Attachments

• Kalinga-buds.jpg
    Kalinga-buds.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 49
  • kalinga4.jpg
    kalinga4.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Kalinga-02.jpg
    Kalinga-02.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 63
  • kalinga3.jpg
    kalinga3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Kalinga-Philippines (1).jpg
    Kalinga-Philippines (1).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 60

Chi13

ICMag Donor
They are vastly different highs. Cookies and OG effect I would call stoned rather than high. Old sativa's could be anything from intense trippy to euphoric and energetic. Some of it could also produce extreme paranoia and confusion. Of course there was shitty pot back then too.

I used to smoke all day every day in the 70s and 80s. The best strains back then seemed much stronger than the best strains now. I know THC analysis may not back that up, but there is much more to a high than THC level. Most of the pot now is bland and more closely resembles opiates in effect than the sativa's of old.

In my opinion younger folk would not enjoy those old highs as what they seem to be after is more of a sedative couchlock experience.

TheDarkStorm

Actual picture taken towards the early 80's...a line that was kept going at least 15 years before this.

Attachments

• user145783_pic394163_1275434462.jpg
    user145783_pic394163_1275434462.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 57