What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Modern S.E. Asian landraces study

vinrusso

The so called "high" from cookies and OG's are cookie cutter buzzes. In other words almost all Indica hybrids today give the same burned out, couch lock stone. Sativa's are so unique. Even landrace type indica's have a much more unique high to them. And THC percentage is not the standard in a high. Cannabis has so many other factors. That is why Sativa's and landrace's are getting popular even with younger folks.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
the high of c99 was similar on some to a sativa high,
bit shorter lived , and easier to build up tolerance though,

if i were to compare it to the thai i smoked recently,
and i was asked too by the folks i was toking with,
id say c99 would get you there faster,
but plateau out a bit fast before reaching the high the thai would deliver,
there was a ceiling on the c99 , where there wasnt on the thai..
and day after day the thai would get me just as high,
that would wear thin with c99 after a couple of days ...

what we sacrifice for early maturation and bag appeal,
by introducing indica ,
is quite noticeable and doesnt enhance the high,
it most certainly detracts from it ,
(the older version of me now realizes what the guys who said the indica was ruining the good pot meant)
the guys toking kush might not agree....

I think this comparison sums it up nicely. you just loose something important for sativa lover when using too much indica into it.. og kush and cookies are wonderful hybrids, unique and beautiful. yet effect of good sativa pheno doesn't build tolerance and is longer lasting, and all in all it is much more complex experience. to find such phenos in landraces seeds is hard work.

funkyhorse

Hi wutwut
I dont think it is just one strain, I believe it is a very dinamical strain which changes production places and strains according to the times
In this video from 2012, you can see what was before the brick. I believe this stuff was coming from Cambodia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozyrW82auTA

But times and strains change and hybridization is taking all over the place
I see this article from the Bangkok Post and I have little doubt this is coming from Laos, it doesnt make any sense if this is coming from somewhere else, a picture from the article:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1874979/183kg-ganja-seized-on-mekong-bank
picture.php

I also found an article in South China Post informing lao weed has been caught in Cambodia. It doesnt seem to be pressed but unpressed buds in vacuum. I have never seen vacuum bags like that. It seems at around 2015 Laos started to compete with the brick from the youtube video and that move probably brought hybridization
picture.php

I am growing at the moment Gypsy Luang Prabang and DCC Northern Thailand 2008. The plants look similar and it also looks similar to what Thaibliss and more people call Thai
I am also growing 3 TRSC Highland Lao #1 which are different looking plants without any similarity between them, and you cant possible recognize any similarity to the classical old thai strains like the ones mentioned, this stuff is probably introduced plants and the seedbank said this is what they are exporting to Thailand today. It is certainly different from the stuff of not so long ago
Wutwut, I am very interested in the seed from the youtube video. I smoked that stuff shown in the video for 18 years, I certainly would like to smoke it again