What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TRSC Nepalese 2020

Hi,

I want yo know if anybody has tried the current TRSC Nepalese strain.

Myself I have tried a former RSC Nepalese strain that was very strong.

I'd love to have more input of any kind (grow logs or reports from their present offering.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can contribute.

achille

Veteran
Nepalese from Rolpa, should be an interesting strain ! No experience but I've put some in germination yesterday.

herblux

Nice one achille. I’ll be planting a few of these seeds as well in the next few months, once my current run is nearing it’s end.
Good luck, hope you’ll find some keepers!

ngakpa

Veteran
I have tried a former RSC Nepalese strain that was very strong.

glad you found some strong plants

"strong strain" is a bit misleading for Himalayan landraces, where it all depends on the specific individual plant (some high CBD, some high THC etc.)

Rolpa is one of the most famous regions from the era of the Hippie Trail

there should be more interest in this accessions from Rolpa that there appears to have been - these are far more significant plants than the crap in Parvati and Malana these days, for example

musigny23

I had a Rolpa female this year. It was late to confirm as female so it went to a secondary garden spot. It grew with I would call classic Himalayan traits. Very tall with medium branching and very stout stems. Given suitable conditions and going by this one, these plants can attain very large size, so keep that in mind.

On this plant the flowers were mainly on the branch ends, not much lower down the branches. Fairly dense flower structure and a sort of strong sour apple/lemon/ginger scent. Still drying so I haven't tried it yet.

achille

Veteran
I started three Rolpa seedlings, discarded two plants because they were runts but the third, a female, is wonderful, I think I am falling in love.
The Nepal Rolpa plant's leaves have a rough texture, it seems made for severe weather indeed. It has a very sativa atmosphere. Under my leds it keeps a reasonable size but it looks like it would be very lanky under other lighting or a monster outside. The stalks and veins are deep red and purple. It it bleeds red when cut.

My female doesn't smell anything at all (very nice for discretion) but when you rub the leaves the smells are very strong: at first a whiff of carrots, a legumy freshness then you are hit by a strong mix of earth and artificial cherry-violet (it's not exactly that but I can't find any other existing smell to describe this) and of course the rubbery tones of hash. It's awesome and really vulgar in the same time !
The resin on the preflowers turns cloudy very quickly. I am surprised by the amount of trichromes: it even has stalked trichomes on the underside of fan leaves and on the petioles. It should be very interesting when I'll start the flowering period.
picture.php

Preflowers:
picture.php

The stalked trichromes visible on the petiole if you zoom:
picture.php

I've germinated more seeds in search of males, it would be a shame to loose those genetics.
picture.php

I am always battling deficiencies because I don't know what I'm doing but they are tough plants:biggrin:

herblux

Looking good Achille, that makes me look forward to popping them in a few weeks. Thanks for your detailed photos!

achille

Veteran
I realized today what is this strange smell from the Rolpa: Japanese grape soda !

I am from Europe and the grape juice tastes are very different from what you commonly find in Japan (because they use a different cultivar). When I went in Japan and tried the grape juices there I was quite surprised. I am not sure if you can find the same taste elsewhere but the grape Fanta has this taste as well, at last in Japan.

achille

Veteran
Actually, I've discovered that I have a PH issue !
I prefer keeping it restricted in little pots during this phase, it's easy to manage this way, with bigger pots I'll have monsters ! I put my final selections outside in bigger pots when the outdoor season starts.

herblux

How are the going achille, please?
Have a couple going, but just germinated a week ago, so nothing of much interest to show yet.

achille

Veteran
I have toped the female for cuttings, it is a very vigorous grower, long internodes, typical Himalayan traits.
The other younger plants have started to show the same wide leaves, long internodes and vigor. One has some variegation. No sexing yet. It is going to be challenging to keep those plants in my cramped little tent until spring !

herblux

I have toped the female for cuttings, it is a very vigorous grower, long internodes, typical Himalayan traits.
The other younger plants have started to show the same wide leaves, long internodes and vigor. One has some variegation. No sexing yet. It is going to be challenging to keep those plants in my cramped little tent until spring !

Thanks. Hahaha yeah they will definitely be trouble indoors, we're in the same boat. Got Kumaoni, Nanda Devi and Rasoli as well. Tent will explode lol!

herblux

Had two Nepalese girls. Both are topped once. The one on the left had slim slightly darker leaflets, a purple stem and more fluffy buds. Light-medium resin coverage, went about 16 weeks (was not completely finished at "harvest", would have needed another week). The one on the right obviously looks like a runt compared to her big sister, but it actually still grew taller than many modern hybrids would. It was completely green, no colour to be seen anywhere, slightly wider leaflets and the stems seemed to have a higher fibre content. I would say a little better resin coverage. Went about 15 weeks.
I'm saying "about" and "harvest" as I had to leave for holidays at the end of week 14 of flower. So I watered them one last time, set the lights to 9 off 15 on (hoping to get them to mature more quickly) on and let them dry out in their pots. Not the best way of doing things, but still better than throwing them away. Guess they might have survived a week, as they were not using much water at this stage anymore.

Both had similar smells "malty, fruity, floral hashy, earth" as it says on the website was the case in terms of smells. The malty side being dominant I would say. Sampled both by now. The taller one had a very clear high, slightly introspective, but not too much. Low-medium potency. The shorter one is most likely a CBD dominant plant, as I have a low tolerance and could feel absolutely 0 psychoactive effects. I use CBD a fair bit as medicine and I could feel there was a bit in there.

This should be about week 12 of flower. The half dead looking lower branches are pollinated.

NepD116.jpg

Tall one close up

N7D116.jpg

Shorty close up

N1D116.jpg

Only two ladies, so cannot really judge them too much. Compared to the other Himalayan's I had in the same grow, these produced a lot more bud. Only one Rasoli did produce about the same. Still not that much, as they are yielding little compared to their size. Yield is not really an issue when growing these anyways. Indoors it wasn't easy to keep them happy, as you're walking a thin line between too much nutrients and too little in small pots to keep the size at bay. If grown straight in decent soil untrained, I'm sure most of these would grow 4m+. I have some cuttings outside and they grew from 40cm to 2m in poorish soil in just 4 weeks lol. Definitely harder to control than most pure equatorial NLD's so be warned. Very fun grow though, with a lot of variety!
If you're in a suitable climate with enough space, all of these Himalayan's would be super fun to grow outdoors!

Side notes including Nanda Devi, Rasoli & Kumaoni:
- Don't expect high potency from Himalayans
- Expect extreme vigour and a lot of variation between plants
- Rasoli threw a lot of nanners indoors
- One Rasoli which also produced balls late in flower and subsequently harvested a little early, had the best high imo. Clear, clean, happy, goofing around fun type high.
- Kumaoni are more stable indoors. The high of the 5 females I tried is not super clear though. Some people like it clear, others don't. Still very enjoyable "sativa"-like effects, particularly one pheno which had a nice sweet lemon smell & taste and decent potency. This is with just a short cure, clarity of the high might still improve.

meizzwang

Regarding potency with Kumaoni, it's true, good luck getting devastated from smoking the flowers, it's almost a waste of time. However, if you do a rosin squeeze, this stuff has no ceiling and can get you completely devastated! I suspect Rolpa will do the same, will report back later on this year if I get a female. I grew Rolpa last year, but a freakin rabbit ate my only female.

achille

Veteran
I did a seed run this winter, behind a window without artificial lights, harvested in spring.
It was easy to manage maybe because I kept the roots constricted. During flowering the leaves are quite fine, typical sativa atmosphere displayed. It keeps a low profile as a houseplant and blends in with the domestics.
This does not apply to the outdoor at all where it quickly grows tall and proudly makes huge elegant leaves of deep green hues.
Flower structure typically airy. Very discreet smells, only emited when touched. The live flowers have a tropical fruit smell that I never smell elsewhere than In cannabis flowers. Upon drying however, a somewhat unpleasant herbal smell appears. It will attenuate with curing to acceptable level, giving a dried wild plant touch on a malty background. When manipulating the smell becomes strong: artificial red grape and earth.
I need to put a lot of buds in the vaporiser, the material is not strong, it is indeed a plant for producing haschich.

This specimen has a typical and wonderful Himalayan high. It is like entering in a warm bath, a serene feeling washes over the body but not in a narcotic way, a calm euphoria dominates. Not one trace of anxiety nor paranoia. It doesn't seems possible to not feel happy. This is not debilitating at all, you can perform human tasks, use your brain, and go outside. Very clear mind and spiritual disposition. It does remind me of a Parvati hash I smoked in India in 1998, a warm, balanced, clear and mystical high. This nepalese is the Himalayan I was looking for ! It is quite weak and short lived however, I hope this is because of the growing conditions and poor lighting, I'll compare with the next harvest.
I think that this nepalese from Rolpa has a great medicinal potential.

Lebanizer

This specimen has a typical and wonderful Himalayan high. It is like entering in a warm bath, a serene feeling washes over the body but not in a narcotic way, a calm euphoria dominates. Not one trace of anxiety nor paranoia. It doesn't seems possible to not feel happy. This is not debilitating at all, you can perform human tasks, use your brain, and go outside. Very clear mind and spiritual disposition. It does remind me of a Parvati hash I smoked in India in 1998, a warm, balanced, clear and mystical high. This nepalese is the Himalayan I was looking for ! It is quite weak and short lived however, I hope this is because of the growing conditions and poor lighting, I'll compare with the next harvest.
I think that this nepalese from Rolpa has a great medicinal potential.

That's fantastaic Achille. Just so you know, your description of the Nepalese high closely matches what I experienced with the Nanda Devi.