What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landrace experiment in Alps

Rosomah

Hello internet,

I try to keep it simple, safe and light on my back.​
Simple: under 10 visits/year​
Safe: minimal work, no trails, fences and water runs are out of the question​
Light: under 10kg in the backpack

My goal is to test out landraces/semi wild populations suitable for our climate and make populations for future projects.

picture.php

Homemade tools, the hook thing is really usefull for pulling out huge rocks. Wood is from Laburnum alpinum, iron is recycled car spring.

picture.php

Working with terrain for minimal effort

picture.php

2kg fertilizer (1-2-3) per hole plus wood ash (K and Ca) and horse manure

picture.php

Humus and mulch get added too (A LOT)​

Last edited:

Rosomah

2019 Mulkharka

2019 Mulkharka

Cannabis sativa subsp. indica var. himalayensis seeds collected in Mulkharka village at about 1700m asl on 5. november 2016. Probably escaped cultivar, near path, 3m tall and very branchy.

picture.php

1.7. 2019

picture.php

Water stress, 3-4weeks no rain

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
Bees collecting cannabis pollen
First time seeing something like this. Cut top off, left lower branches for bees :D

I've seen it before and these were my plants in 2018. I've never seen so many Bumblebees in my life.
At times, there were over 30 in the patch on a daily basis until I got rid of the males. They would get
upset when I shook the male plants to make the pollen fly to pollinate the females.

Bumblebee Pollen Thief

picture.php

Another Bumblebee Pollen Thief

picture.php

Koondense

Veteran
Hello alpine neighbour,

good to see someone experiment with himalayan landraces in the alps, i ttied once some years ago but had different goals. Your plants look lovely and i hope you can grow them even better in the next season.

Cheers

Rosomah

Hello alpine neighbour,

good to see someone experiment with himalayan landraces...

Cheers

Thanks, they are growing quite well this year, start of October was cold but now it is warm again. I will cut a few down at start of November, leave others for later in the month if weather permits.

Will try to keep this thread up to date as we go :tree:

Rosomah

Plants doing fine in autumn sun
picture.php

picture.php

We are more on mercy of atmospheric winds, Himalayas weather is much more stable

Rosomah

Water stress experiment

Water stress experiment

Short case study on water stress:
Soil is Rendzina (shallow hummus rich soil type)50/50 hummus/rocks. Surrounding vegetation indicates lack of moisture in hotter months.

picture.php

picture.php

Doing excellent, rains once per week, really warm microclimate (7.7.2020)

picture.php

Drought starting, 8.9.2020 Leaves curling and turning yellow.

picture.php

Basically no rain for a month, funniest thing is few of them survived and have micro buds on few upper branches. (9. 10. 2020)

The most interesting observation was that stems from 2 of them turned completely red and the plants survived much better. Something i will keep in mind for years to come

picture.php

meizzwang

Very intriguing and outstanding report, thanks so much for sharing this info with us Rosomah!

I was reading a report by bodhi from 2008, and he described the population of plants in Mulkharka as having a "spicy citrus menthol fading into jasmine/neroli." What sort of aromas did you get from your plants?

Rosomah

meizzwang thanks, happy i can do this in my spare time. Smell was bit floral, bit hashy and i joke you not some Tagetes in there at the end.

very good daytime butter stuff

2020 here we go!
was a wierd year, had plants rootbound because of the whole you know 2020 thing, weather was nice. Did a mistake of adding organic fert at the start of flowering and they did not like it, next year bigger dose at start and this is it.
Grew Cannabis sativa subsp. indica var. himalayensis seeds from Mulkharka and Pisang from Nepal. Some was wild, some was cultivated. They finished 14-20 days too late, some didnt.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sunshineinabag

Hello internet,

I try to keep it simple, safe and light on my back.​
Simple: under 10 visits/year​
Safe: minimal work, no trails, fences and water runs are out of the question​
Light: under 10kg in the backpack

My goal is to test out landraces/semi wild populations suitable for our climate and make populations for future projects.

Homemade tools, the hook thing is really usefull for pulling out huge rocks. Wood is from Laburnum alpinum, iron is recycled car spring.
Working with terrain for minimal effort

2kg fertilizer (1-2-3) per hole plus wood ash (K and Ca) and horse manure

Humus and mulch get added too (A LOT)​

I have fam from alsace- lorraine......many thx for doing this....I got goosebumps! Subbbed

Rosomah

Sunshineinabag thank you! So glad i was privileged enough to grew my own smoke from the start. Had more luck than brain 10 years back :D

You develop a different perspective than if you buy stuff from black market imo. A plant is just that- a plant. Different types of high is just different THC/CBD/terpene ratio.

Growing out in the woods has its ups and downs but you really get to appreciate traits like mold, cold and drought tolerance, growing patterns, branching, bud density,..., and above all quality of the smoke (or butter, right now i am having edibles phase)