What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jamaican, dub stylee

Rembetis

I will keep doing what I can but it will be as a key board warrior. I have a trip or two left in me to go to Jamaica but longer trips are out I think. My friends in Jamaica are doing the leg work. If they come up with something promising I will go and have a look.

I will keep doing what I can but it will be as a key board warrior. I have a trip or two left in me to go to Jamaica but longer trips are out I think. My friends in Jamaica are doing the leg work. If they come up with something promising I will go and have a look.

As i think of it, it doesnt matter if they arent as pure as the 60s. i realize these sativas like swazi, lesotho, thai, mangobiche which i have tried should be considered as pure sativas, because honestly the high from these are absolutely unique to each other with thai and Lesotho being on a higher galaxy, that feel exactly like what the herb of the 60s 70s are described, I didnt even grasp how for years i have been using a different plant, when i tried these sativas I relaized cannabis is not just one type, it wass either ssh/diesel type "sativa" or indica before, then when the pure sativas came along its like a portal to an amazing dimension and universe has opened, something so spectacular, especially special ones like thai, lesotho, wow. Thank god these are around. Hybrids just cant come close mimicking them even if you just ate it at a very high dose. Thank you god!

As for me I am focusing on the longest flowering sativas except Lesotho and transkei as they are rather unique. And breeding for peaceful, mystical, deep feelings as well as cleanliness and clarity of mind while being psychedelic and soaring wirh euphoria, something you cant find in shrooms thats for sure. Kerala chellatuki, lao dak cheung, burma mong hsat, lesotho, transkei for now. Though there are many more, thankfully the good folks over at the landrace team are preserving many landrace sativas thorugh open pollination free of selective breeding techniques.

Many awesome sativas are available as seeds online like thai, lesotho, lao, burmese, kerala, mauritius, ethiopia, Colombia, Vietnam, Durban, transkei, congo, gambia, mauritius, la reunion, many other African and indian sativas.
And there are still many that are not found online like Indonesia, Papua new guinea, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Peru the list goes on

Also always use uv b c a, many have mentioned an increase in potency. I read many posts about the wonders of sweat and cobb curing. Im not certain but if i understand it correctly, your supposed to put fresh buds in a plastic bag thats open slightly so as to let it sweat in the bag for a few days so as to develop water on the bag, in a warm spot I would expect. then you vaccum seal the same bag and hide it in the dark for weeks probably at least 4 but i suppose more would be better.
Then you dry it.
Eeryone that tried it pretty much says the high became much better, much more psychedelic, and much more potent.

:smoke: :plant grow:

Rembetis

I have several of the strains you mentioned. The thing holding me back is plant counts and possession limits. Otherwise I could get some work done. I retired from decades in agriculture and have extensive breeding experience.
My interest in the Landraces is as a preservationist and while many strains are available as you mentioned most of those are in danger in their homelands. We need people to keep them going even if it is a bunch of small growers.

Rembetis

For you guys that havent looked thru the vintage photography thread. Four Seasons posted this photo of the Jamaican in High Times from the 70's I think.

Rembetis

13 weeks yesterday. Looks like we're going 18 weeks. Still flowering strongly. A few are heavy blue Mountain influence. Most are somewhere in between. One is looking like a decent Lambsbread pheno so i will concentrate on it next time assuming it smokes well.

Blue Mountain type buds. The one in the back is close to baseball size in diameter. They should be monsters in 5 more weeks.

This one has the look of the old Jamaican

Last edited:

Wolverine97

Veteran
That '85 might be fine smoke but is not an original type Lambsbread going by pictures I have seen. Plenty of indica in it. I have been on the lookout for LB with pepper taste to it, if anyone knows of such if you can share where it is. I read in High Times of brown Jamaican with pepper taste around '74 which would add up to my experience with unknown strain. Electric is an understatement of that stuff. Electrocuted would be more accurate, but in a good way, hehe.

I had outer space pot in '74 and think it could have been Jamaican, was pepper and wood taste, all brown in color. It might have been anything like Mexican or Colombian but anyways.

That could also been an early "sinsemilla" line. Not what we know as sinsemilla, but that was its name when brought in to JA in '72 (according to Peter Tosh anyway). That became one of the most popular lines around right away. Not really sure how to determine which is which at this stage.

I've grown out the more sativa stuff I have collected on trips to JA. Only once did I get plants that looked like the one posted on pg 2 by Funkyhorse. Mine didn't finish quite as well, just wanted to keep flowering. Lighter colored pistils, very pale green (very thin) leaves. Potency wasn't all that great honestly, but extremely bright, clear high, very smooth smoke, spicy taste, peppery for sure.

Rembetis

Week 16,

took down several plants. Most showing heavy Blue Mtn influence. We'll see how they smoke after a long cure. This is the top half of one showing the central buds

I still have several of the Lambsbread looking plants going strong in flower. I expect to at least go 18 weeks but may have some go longer. ACE Ethiopian for the next run has sprouted but it will be awhile before they need more space so no problem to let the Jamaican do its thing

RenaissanceBrah

As for me I am focusing on the longest flowering sativas except Lesotho and transkei as they are rather unique. And breeding for peaceful, mystical, deep feelings as well as cleanliness and clarity of mind while being psychedelic and soaring wirh euphoria, something you cant find in shrooms thats for sure. Kerala chellatuki, lao dak cheung, burma mong hsat, lesotho, transkei for now. Though there are many more, thankfully the good folks over at the landrace team are preserving many landrace sativas thorugh open pollination free of selective breeding techniques.

Many awesome sativas are available as seeds online like thai, lesotho, lao, burmese, kerala, mauritius, ethiopia, Colombia, Vietnam, Durban, transkei, congo, gambia, mauritius, la reunion, many other African and indian sativas.
And there are still many that are not found online like Indonesia, Papua new guinea, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Peru the list goes on

Also always use uv b c a, many have mentioned an increase in potency. I read many posts about the wonders of sweat and cobb curing. Im not certain but if i understand it correctly, your supposed to put fresh buds in a plastic bag thats open slightly so as to let it sweat in the bag for a few days so as to develop water on the bag, in a warm spot I would expect. then you vaccum seal the same bag and hide it in the dark for weeks probably at least 4 but i suppose more would be better.
Then you dry it.
Eeryone that tried it pretty much says the high became much better, much more psychedelic, and much more potent.

:smoke: :plant grow:

Learned a lot from this post, thank you for writing it up, saved it in my notes :)

Makes me really want to try those African strains - I've been reading more and more that Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, Colombian Gold are just African sativas that got brought here 100s of years ago and adapted to the environment.

Based on the strains you've smoked, how do you feel the environment changed the effect of the African sativas that got brought over here? (ie a bit colder = more relaxing influence, etc)

Wanted to ask you if you can recommend a good source to get some Lesotho, sounds like something worth trying.

Also, any grow lights in particular you'd say are best for landrace sativas?

Cheers :rasta:

romanoweed

@onlypureSativa

Hard Bottlenecking leads to inbreeding depression i think, an zero selection leads to wilder`isation, strain beoming hempy if done too often in a row.

So, none of bouth is just BETTER.

And i dont think Cob curing was responsible for the mystical oldschool Strains . The trippiest hallucinogenic weed i ever had was 5 days dried

Montuno

...como el Son...
That could also been an early "sinsemilla" line. Not what we know as sinsemilla, but that was its name when brought in to JA in '72 (according to Peter Tosh anyway). That became one of the most popular lines around right away. Not really sure how to determine which is which at this stage.

I've grown out the more sativa stuff I have collected on trips to JA. Only once did I get plants that looked like the one posted on pg 2 by Funkyhorse. Mine didn't finish quite as well, just wanted to keep flowering. Lighter colored pistils, very pale green (very thin) leaves. Potency wasn't all that great honestly, but extremely bright, clear high, very smooth smoke, spicy taste, peppery for sure.

Could it be then that they simply used the Spanish term "sinsemilla" (which does not refer to any variety, but to cultivating by eliminating the males) to refer to any variety that in Jamaica they considered to be of "high quality"?

Wolverine97

Veteran
Could it be then that they simply used the Spanish term "sinsemilla" (which does not refer to any variety, but to cultivating by eliminating the males) to refer to any variety that in Jamaica they considered to be of "high quality"?

Not at first, though it has evolved over the years to mean that. Sort of like Krippy in Florida in the early 2000's.

Rembetis

I think that is correct Montuno. My first trip in the early 80's to Jamaica the term Sinsimilia (Jamaican spelling) was used quite often. Similar to what the term Lambsbread was used for. I havent heard Sinsi used at all in the last several years. High Grade is more often used now to denote the top grades. My friends are from Orange Hill which is the epicenter of High grade if you buy into the Jamaican hype. The place gets mentioned in many songs and you tube videos and has quite a reputation amongst Jamaicans.

Montuno

...como el Son...
Not at first, though it has evolved over the years to mean that. Sort of like Krippy in Florida in the early 2000's.

And what did it mean at the beginning, and what did it mean at the end, "krippy" in Florida (I have also seen it written as "crippy"; do I guess correctly that from the Spanish "cripa" ?

Wolverine97

Veteran
Ah, I wish I could answer those. But I don't know. My best guess is that the "sinsemilla" was just that, sinsemilla that came in from Colombia on its way to USA. Jamaicans have a way of mis-appropriating words, so they probably took that as the name. I would guess that's what happened. But it's a guess.

Last edited:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I don't think around 1985 , there was already bld genes from Afghanistan, Pakistan in Jamaica.I can remember i smoked good Jamaican import in the early 90s which gave you flash backs like acid or shroomies.
Its possible that some Mexican genes were brought to Jamaica which also can have bld genes like Oaxacan.

This is what Robert Connell Clarke wrote in his book Marijuana Botany

Michoacan strains tend to have very slender leaves and a very high calyx-to-leaf ratio as do Guerreran strains, but Oaxacan strains tend to be broader-leafed, often with leafier floral clusters. Oaxacan strains are generally the largest and grow vigorously, while Michoacan strains are smaller and more delicate. Guerreran strains are often short and develop long.

Indentured Indians were brought to Jamaica which could have brought bld genes with them.
According to Chris Duvall in his book Cannabis, he writes that indentured Siera Leonians introduced Cannabis in Jamaica in 1862 and this info was from British archives, but the British empire were also great importer of Indian ganja at that time.The US pharmaceutical companies bought at the end of 19th century around that big quantities for the pharmacies.

Bob Marley said something about Lambsbread in a High Times interview

High Times: What's lamb's bread?

Bob Marley: De ability what de herb 'ave ya call lamb's bread. Some a dem ya call Bethlehem's bread. Dat is when ya really get good herb, y'know what I mean?

Rembetis

Update and interesting smoke reports

I had an interesting experience a couple weeks back while vaping. The only plant I have at this point that has any type of cure is the little 3 week plant. It has always been a very nice smoke. One night I sat down and took a couple hits and it came on as usual but about 10 minutes in it really hit. It started with body pulses starting at my belly button and racing to my head. That was followed by a big wave of euphoria once again starting in my belly and going up and hitting my brain. Then an electrical current started on my left temple. It felt like it was tickling my brain. What a blast from the past! I havent had anything like that since Jamaica a very long time ago. So the Jamaican fire is still alive in this strain! Now to work on finding more of it.

As far as the grow, some of the Blue Mountain phenos have been getting cloudy and small amounts of amber so I have cut them. I have also taken some of the wilder Lambsbread leaning phenos as well at 16 weeks. They were still all clear. After the brain tickle experience I have decided that clear must be where what I am looking for is at. Someone else mentioned clear trich's regarding this strain. One of the 11 week plants left me dragging a bit the next morning like a hybrid so I think going cloudy brings out some of the BLD influence that is in this line. The 11 week plant has very strong power to it but it is not as mentally stimulating as I had hoped but a good long cure may change all of that so stay tuned for updates.

Last edited:

Rembetis

I was going to wind down this documentation of the Double Jam grow but it looks like it will be going on for awhile. I have 3 long flowering Lambsbread phenos still going. There have been at least 50 volunteers pop up in their mothers pots so I have decided to sort thru the seedlings and see if my selections were any good. I have several that show good Lambsbread traits so I am going to go ahead and grow them out. This little girl has already been flowering since early this week

The next run has already sprouted. Ace's Ethiopian Highland at 11 days. 10 out of a 10 pack

I also have some Mozambique Land race seeds in the dirt. I did an open pollination last round and want to have a look at them again. The line needs a bit of work but might be worth it in the long run.

Rembetis

At 19 weeks I still have 3 Double Jams going although they are showing signs of finishing up. The Blue Mountain types make some crazy large buds. Here is one of them that is still going

The Blue Mountain phenos are strong in this line. I didnt get many Lambsbread types in the seeds I made so I dont know if I will mess with this line again. We'll see how the cure goes. I am still holding out hope that one of the long flower plants will have the effect I am looking for. The Blue Mountain types have a heavy effect for me and not really what I am looking for right now. I would still like to find the old Lambsbread and give it a try.

My Ethiopian Highlands have started flower and I also have a Landrace from Mozambique along with some Ace Lebanese from some really tasty Lemon and Sweet Candy Hash phenos I had last time. Those two phenos were super fast and finished in 50 days so I am really interested to see if the mothers passed on those traits.

I will start new threads on those when they get farther along if anyone wants to tag along

Last edited: