What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Some sources seem to indicate that the Hmong (or Mong et-al) also were/are called Meo in Thailand. If anyone wants an easy read here’s one link but I suggest as many sources as one can find to try and find the whole picture. The Hmong probably came from south China and some research indicate that they lived there at least since the last Glacier Maximus (ice age). The people spread out to Vietnam, Laos, Burma and Thailand. Both in Thailand and in Vietnam the governments referred to the Hmong people as Meo. In China 55 smaller tribes were all grouped together and called Miao due to the language they spoke. (Miao-Yao/Hmong-Mien)

https://www.green-trails.com/ethnic-minorities-in-northern-thailand/hmong-hill-tribe/

Thats what springs to mind for me stocktont ,
ive never heard the term meo hilltribes ,
but hmong hilltribes ive seen plenty of ,
their customary clothing is hard to miss ,and there is always plenty of them around the markets in chang mai etc ...

theres a village i was taken too outside of chang mai with a few ethnic groups from across the border living , among them were the long neck people,
that area is quite diverse as far as having quite a few ethnicity s inhabiting it ..

A friend in central thailand shared some seed with me that i noted got called hmong thai ,

though i didnt know it as that , maybe the guys calling it spoke to my friend , he was online here , i dont know , but it is still doing the rounds as far as i know , which is cool ,
except that the story of where it came from has sadly disappeared .. some credit should be given to the original source i think ,, the seeds were free , and as far as i know they are now being sold , with no story of origin .. that saddens me ..

Stocktont

Veteran
Thats what springs to mind for me stocktont ,
ive never heard the term meo hilltribes ,
but hmong hilltribes ive seen plenty of ,
their customary clothing is hard to miss ,and there is always plenty of them around the markets in chang mai etc ...

theres a village i was taken too outside of chang mai with a few ethnic groups from across the border living , among them were the long neck people,
that area is quite diverse as far as having quite a few ethnicity s inhabiting it ..

A friend in central thailand shared some seed with me that i noted got called hmong thai ,

though i didnt know it as that , maybe the guys calling it spoke to my friend , he was online here , i dont know , but it is still doing the rounds as far as i know , which is cool ,
except that the story of where it came from has sadly disappeared .. some credit should be given to the original source i think ,, the seeds were free , and as far as i know they are now being sold , with no story of origin .. that saddens me ..

I have heard a lot of stories and seen a lot of seed stories and lines being called first one of those tribal names with the ”thai” tag at the end and to me it’s always a tell-tell sign of a waffle story.

Their cloths are hard to miss for sure, some westerners buy them and go to all kinds of places like down south wearing those cloths thinking they have some national thai suit on or something, it’s funny. Lots of the tribe people go to other parts of the country and in most of the sources I read now this morning there’s also mentioning of Hmong people (mostly from Vietnam) going over to America after the Vietnam war, they particularly helped US forces in Laos but after 1975 that was no more.

Central Thailand as in just north of Bangkok?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
well this story puts the production of ”the real” thai sticks in Chiangmai and Chiangrai area and not the north east (Isaan) area. The Meo tribe had the governments eyes on them since the early 60s due to politics and opium production amongst other reasons. Colorful writing though…

View Image

So these are the pictures from 1977 that have supposedly been taken in Chiang Mai. That's worlds away from Isaan.

picture.php

picture.php

Those look like classic Thai stick to me. The one at the back looks like it could be an elephant stick..

...CR500AF...

I am also in the camp of no. Adding somthing to a product without getting paid for it, becuse nobody has stated (that i know of) they paid more for the dipped sticks then they did for the regular stick's. Like the saying goes "if you whant to know the truth follow the money" just my opinion.

Stocktont

Veteran
So these are the pictures from 1977 that have supposedly been taken in Chiang Mai. That's worlds away from Isaan.

picture.php

picture.php

Those look like classic Thai stick to me. The one at the back looks like it could be an elephant stick..

I don’t really understand if you are telling me something or asking me something, I have no idea where those pictures were taken, do you? I don’t recall me saying anything about where those pictures were taken, I was talking about the tribes that were mentioned, and I said ”this story puts the production of thai sticks…” I didn’t say I said it was so. And yes, Chiangmai is not Isaan.

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I don’t really understand if you are telling me something or asking me something, I have no idea where those pictures were taken, do you? I don’t recall me saying anything about where those pictures were taken, I was talking about the tribes that were mentioned, and I said ”this story puts the production of thai sticks…” I didn’t say I said it was so. And yes, Chiangmai is not Isaan.

I just dug up those old pictures that would seem to back up the "Thai sticks came from Chiang Mai theory", is all.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I have heard a lot of stories and seen a lot of seed stories and lines being called first one of those tribal names with the ”thai” tag at the end and to me it’s always a tell-tell sign of a waffle story.

Their cloths are hard to miss for sure, some westerners buy them and go to all kinds of places like down south wearing those cloths thinking they have some national thai suit on or something, it’s funny. Lots of the tribe people go to other parts of the country and in most of the sources I read now this morning there’s also mentioning of Hmong people (mostly from Vietnam) going over to America after the Vietnam war, they particularly helped US forces in Laos but after 1975 that was no more.

Central Thailand as in just north of Bangkok?
My buddy prof lived in Phitsonalok , its a nice little city of about 1 million people ,
barely any tourism , so the only farangs are ones stopping in busses etc on the way to chang mai ,
i quite dislike the tourist areas there , i prefer to go where other farangs dont go ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
That's what it said where I found the picture.

i saw that and pondered if its not the grow done by some americans that was mentioned in the book ,
it may not have been sticked up , just been loose bud ,
im reasonably sure its where they say due to the surrounding jungle ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
No idea mex ,
all im fairly sure about is the bulk of stuff grown for export and particularly in the form of thai sticks,
was done in the north east Isaan provinces ,
but im also sure many grew weed in thailand all over the place ,
just not so much for commercial , more for personal use , medicine , food etc ...
not to say some crops were not grown and sold off commercially like the one in the pictures ,
its quite possible , just the bulk was in the north east as far as im able to establish ...

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I think this was one plantation from the Thai military in 1975.

Attachments

• photo2025612.jpg
    photo2025612.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 16

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Judging from the pictures alone, does the strain still exists? Why was it so much better then?

romanoweed

Reuploaded a color-corrected Version. I think those Plants look pretty Realdeal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thaistickkk.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.5 KB ID:	17792479

Attachments

• thaistickkk.jpg
    thaistickkk.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 15
  • thaistickkk.jpg
    thaistickkk.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.