What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Guys, during the early 1990s we had big tin cans full of Thai stick washing ashore all up and down the California Coast!

During the eighties we started seeing bigger "Buddha Stick", I was never impressed with the quality.

By the early eighties most the Thai weed we saw in Northern California was not as sticks, but in pounds and kilos.

The buds were fatter, I'd wager they were already being hybridized, probably coming from Mexico?

There were just so many pot smokers by then that they got gobbled up and we seldom saw them.

The first ounce of Thai sticks I bought was in 1973. 28 sticks to the ounce.
I paid $150. The going price for Thai sticks was $15 each back then.

I could smoke half a small joint and be very high for 8 hours.

Fare thee well, Xerb
thai stick in the 90s ,, hmmm sounds a bit unlikely since production was stopped a long while before that ,
the last bit of thai we saw in australia was 85 ,

i think that was even a bit of a stretch ,
it wasnt thai stick either , it was that golden , not on the stick stuff...

the other stuff we got after that was just compressed pot assumed to be from Laos , likely smuggled through thailand and then shipped out as Laos is a landlocked country ..

In 74 a kilo of thai sticks at the source was $3 USD ,
i figure there was quite a few sticks per kilo ,
they were making a killing with that stuff ,

then making up stories it was opiated to capitalize even further, just cant trust those drug dealers , they are quite profit driven wouldnt you say ?? lol ...

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I doubt I would be very high for 8 hours or even 4 hours off of Thai. I have never had anything last like that. 1 hour to be very high is the longest ever for me. I did not get to smoke Thai stick but had a bit of 'Thai' bud, not that super.

I had a Thai Stick in my possession 1978 until the police took it. Hope they smoked it.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
I always thought that it was total Bullshit. Obviously, it can be done. Done it myself with nice nugs covered in Poppy latex, let dry for a few days and it's ready.The smoke was trance inducing just like smoking opium. Surely someone somewhere did the same, but who ever heard of a bust where someone was charged with distributing both drugs in one package. Imagine the poor kid doing hard time for heroin distribution for having some Thai stick. Anyone ever heard of that? Anyone??

Totally a Myth.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
The Thai stick mystery

Attachments

• ThaiStickMystery_1980.jpg
    ThaiStickMystery_1980.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 30

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
haha ,

cool story , but not true and plainly written by someone who never spent any time in thailand, it was fun though ...

Cvh

Supermod
...and he happens to know a professional Thai twine tier a refugee that came to Hawaii.
Want to meet him? 30 minutes later this Indochinese old guy....

Omg, I don't believe a word from this article.

Can maybe anybody back up this story that only that specific tribe made Thai Sticks and then they suddenly quit and only then other people started making Thai Sticks?

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Morning & G'day Wally,

Howzit?

I know there is a book available about Thai stick, that surfers were responsible for the import of Thai sticks into the US, don't know about Oz.

picture.php

But a certain tribe in Thailand like cvh also asked was not involved in the manufacturing of the Thai sticks?

Stocktont

Veteran
well this story puts the production of ”the real” thai sticks in Chiangmai and Chiangrai area and not the north east (Isaan) area. The Meo tribe had the governments eyes on them since the early 60s due to politics and opium production amongst other reasons. Colorful writing though…

picture.php

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
well this story puts the production of ”the real” thai sticks in Chiangmai and Chiangrai area and not the north east (Isaan) area. The Meo tribe had the governments eyes on them since the early 60s due to politics and opium production amongst other reasons. Colorful writing though…

View Image

It would make sense the larger buddha sticks would have come from a completely different production area. So different genetics, different hands working on them etc.

Somebody dig up those vintage thai stick operation pictures! Weren't those taken in Chiang Mai as well?

Cvh

Supermod
Is it true that this Meo tribe produced both Thai Sticks and Opium?

Stocktont

Veteran
Is it true that this Meo tribe produced both Thai Sticks and Opium?

It would make sense the larger buddha sticks would have come from a completely different production area. So different genetics, different hands working on them etc.

Somebody dig up those vintage thai stick operation pictures! Weren't those taken in Chiang Mai as well?

It says nothing about it in the page of a book I posted but also in the 1960s cannabis was yet to be made war upon by governments so it not being one of the points brought up by the one source I posted might not mean much. My point with posting it was that most of the other anecdotes and stories of ”thai sticks” (which the writer of the article is talking about) seem to favor the Isaan region which is just over the river from Laos, in the north-east. Chiangmai and Chiangrai are not in the same province or region. If you occupy the very edge of a border I guess there’s a possibility you’d trade in many illegal things, they mention that the thai government were already looking at that particular tribe due to their involvement with communists and their trade in opium.

If you know Thai history you will know that they didn’t like the communists and they would have defended against communists if they would arise in the kingdom I am sure. There’s still an old army song - they (the men in green) played it before the last election in 2019 - it is about fighting the communists.

I am sure there were and still are weed in the region, I have smoked weed from Chiangmai and it was good, it was way later than the 70s and it wasn’t sticks. The writer of the article seem to say that the ”original” or ”true” or whatever word you would like to use, Thai Sticks came from that tribe. I just pointed out that if he was right - which I am not advocating - then the ”original thai sticks” came from a different area than most other stories including those of old smugglers and cannabis collectors etc.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Morning & G'day Wally,

Howzit?

I know there is a book available about Thai stick, that surfers were responsible for the import of Thai sticks into the US, don't know about Oz.

View Image

But a certain tribe in Thailand like cvh also asked was not involved in the manufacturing of the Thai sticks?
As far as i know the thai sticks came from one specific area ,
it likely covered a few provinces in that area ,
they would be all close to the borders of laos ,
Udonthani , Nong Khai , Sakon nakon , perhaps Roi Et and Khon Kaen ,
the hill tribes are in the north and im not sure they were a part of commercial cannabis production ,
though its likely they grew it for personal use ..

You can be pretty sure no men were involved in making the actual thai stick though , that would most certainly be womans work , its tedious , requires patience , men would have been the growers ...

so yea i doubt much of that article is true ..

mexcurandero420

Veteran
As far as i know the thai sticks came from one specific area ,
it likely covered a few provinces in that area ,
they would be all close to the borders of laos ,
Udonthani , Nong Khai , Sakon nakon , perhaps Roi Et and Khon Kaen ,
the hill tribes are in the north and im not sure they were a part of commercial cannabis production ,
though its likely they grew it for personal use ..

You can be pretty sure no men were involved in making the actual thai stick though , that would most certainly be womans work , its tedious , requires patience , men would have been the growers ...

so yea i doubt much of that article is true ..

Perhaps children too who were involved making Thai sticks besides the women.Men certainly don't have the patience making it, only involved in growing the plants.

Attachments

• thai-ganja-farm (1).jpg
    thai-ganja-farm (1).jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 18
  • D5zH9SyxCKdADBwQ24LVWQkjYo7c2zGNJ6Zp1EHcBH6EnZiTMuK9McGcQazbvJ3GJmbRDqNNr6F3uUGepxGBdGB5bNkCCPR.jpeg
    D5zH9SyxCKdADBwQ24LVWQkjYo7c2zGNJ6Zp1EHcBH6EnZiTMuK9McGcQazbvJ3GJmbRDqNNr6F3uUGepxGBdGB5bNkCCPR.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 26
  • output - 2021-03-01T102911.666.jpg
    output - 2021-03-01T102911.666.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 18

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
for sure mex ,

i saw a clip on a facebook page the other day with cannabis hung up exactly the same as in the pics you posted above from the thai stick book ,
the clip is recent , in a border country to thailand , i guess Laos or Cambodia , im leaning towards it being Laos ,
anyhow the grow was massive , hundreds of pounds , lots harvested and hanging on wooden racks , then a massive tent full of bud ready to process ,
and a heap of plants still to be harvested ,in full flower ,

some great looking bud amongst it ,, looked like traditional south east asian sativa varieties , not hybrid ...

i dont know how to add it on here though , but ill try , it might be a link direct to facebook though ...

Stocktont

Veteran
Some sources seem to indicate that the Hmong (or Mong et-al) also were/are called Meo in Thailand. If anyone wants an easy read here’s one link but I suggest as many sources as one can find to try and find the whole picture. The Hmong probably came from south China and some research indicate that they lived there at least since the last Glacier Maximus (ice age). The people spread out to Vietnam, Laos, Burma and Thailand. Both in Thailand and in Vietnam the governments referred to the Hmong people as Meo. In China 55 smaller tribes were all grouped together and called Miao due to the language they spoke. (Miao-Yao/Hmong-Mien)

https://www.green-trails.com/ethnic-minorities-in-northern-thailand/hmong-hill-tribe/

Status
Not open for further replies.