What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I agree fully. I like to try the local stuff even if it isn't always the best weed I ever had or the strongest I ever smoked it has character. Like wine people differentiates between different regions and even vineyards, when you are a cannabis aficionado it is enjoyable to widen your pallet and try many, many different things. The best way to really try a variety of course is to try it where it belongs, where I has been grown for generations upon generations. Mix it with the people, the culture and the food and fruits in its natural habitant so to speak. I think I don't have to tell you guys that chili peppers, mango, pineapples and savory local food goes very well with the thai weed. Especially enjoyed sweating in the heat and having a few glasses of Chang beer with ice in it as the locals drink it. Smoking it in bai-jaaks would also be a very stealthy way of smoking it as most of the local male population that smokes tobacco (their local kind grown here) smokes that in something called bai-jaak which is leafs of a special palm tree (bai = leaf, jaak =name of this special palm tree) using it as a kind of rolling paper which has no glue so they sit and smoke it like a stoner would smoke a joint constantly spinning that bai-jaak in their mouth and holding it like some stoners hold joints with the thumb and the index-finger.
that food goes well with anything i think ,
i miss eating it 6 times a day ,, hahahaha ..

i thought they were crazy putting ice in the beer ,
but i got used to it quickly and it makes sense ,
stops you getting any headache or hang over as well as keeping the beer cool ,, little bit of ice water is helpful,

that local tobacco looks rough , the stuff my father in law smoked was quite dark and very dry , id say i would have coughed up a lung if id imbibed any ,

the older ladies out where i spent and spend time like to chew beetle nut ,

they are a lot less messy with it than when i saw them doing it in Papua new guinea as a boy , but i was pretty familiar with the habit from those days ,
some spent ages rubbing their teeth clean afterwards , they are quite fussy about their appearance , well some of them ,, other older ladies had only half a head of teeth and many were black from the habit ,,

id agree that i think there is every chance they have mixed some opium at some time with some gunja ,
for sure they would have tried that ,

i just have reservations about them importing any quantity of said product given the reasons we have mentioned already ...

Stocktont

Veteran
that food goes well with anything i think ,
i miss eating it 6 times a day ,, hahahaha ..

i thought they were crazy putting ice in the beer ,
but i got used to it quickly and it makes sense ,
stops you getting any headache or hang over as well as keeping the beer cool ,, little bit of ice water is helpful,

that local tobacco looks rough , the stuff my father in law smoked was quite dark and very dry , id say i would have coughed up a lung if id imbibed any ,

the older ladies out where i spent and spend time like to chew beetle nut ,

they are a lot less messy with it than when i saw them doing it in Papua new guinea as a boy , but i was pretty familiar with the habit from those days ,
some spent ages rubbing their teeth clean afterwards , they are quite fussy about their appearance , well some of them ,, other older ladies had only half a head of teeth and many were black from the habit ,,

id agree that i think there is every chance they have mixed some opium at some time with some gunja ,
for sure they would have tried that ,

i just have reservations about them importing any quantity of said product given the reasons we have mentioned already ...

You're right Donald, the food goes with most things in life and they sure eat it a lot of times before the day is over hahaha.

The ice thing is also due to some shops (more so back in time than these days) didn't put the beer in the fridge but kept it in a non cooled environment so if you want to drink it cold you have to put ice into it but it sure helps a bit for the hangover too. The neighbor shop here has a little freezer on top of the regular fridge where they have just the perfect temps to keep the Chang bottles frosty on the outside without freezing over inside. Speaking of that, it's time for the first one today hehe. I try to keep it down a bit but it's a hot day and I finished all my work so I could have a beer before I go and try some of the weed another neighbor gave me yesterday. Looks horrible but I know better than to judge it on sight alone.

The tobacco is really rough. I usually don't smoke cigarettes and the few times my father in-law rolled a tobacco bai-jaak for me I had to sit down. They only put a few puffs worth in to the small leaf rolling papers and then they keep spinning it in the mouth as they smoke a few puffs, have a laugh and talk a bit and smoke the last bit. I really like the fact that they smoke like this as it makes me smoking gan-chaa a bit less obvious to passing people. I just look like a crazy farang smoking their tobacco. It's pretty dark and it's really a strong taste which makes me cough my lungs out. But it's probably much more natural and “better” for you than commercial cigarettes.

They eat those nuts here too and just like you say mostly the older ladies and a few of the men who don't smoke like to chew on those. Many have only half a set of teeth left and I wonder if those nuts aren't the main reason for that. People who don't eat those nuts seem to have better teeth in general.

I agree with you on the last points and like you said, sure some might have smoked opium with cannabis, why not? I tried it myself a few times mixing it with both flowers and hash but it wasn't a good way to smoke either, better to smoke them separately for best effects of both drugs.

Did you ever try the Namtom? It's quite a special experience especially together with some nice thai ganchaa. I usually go on a fishing trip once every year at a place I used to stay for three years. I have some really good local friends and when we go I always bring a lot of weed. My friend with the boat usually have a new bamboo bong for us to use along with a wooden cutting board and a big knife so we can chop up some weed and smoke it at all times. Another one of my buddies who always come along for those fishing trips will bring a lot of Chang beer and one of those huge plastic containers filled with Namtom then off we go for the day. Usually we have to have dinner together the next day as we are so beat when arriving back at the beach at evening time. Good times indeed hehe

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
You're right Donald, the food goes with most things in life and they sure eat it a lot of times before the day is over hahaha.

The ice thing is also due to some shops (more so back in time than these days) didn't put the beer in the fridge but kept it in a non cooled environment so if you want to drink it cold you have to put ice into it but it sure helps a bit for the hangover too. The neighbor shop here has a little freezer on top of the regular fridge where they have just the perfect temps to keep the Chang bottles frosty on the outside without freezing over inside. Speaking of that, it's time for the first one today hehe. I try to keep it down a bit but it's a hot day and I finished all my work so I could have a beer before I go and try some of the weed another neighbor gave me yesterday. Looks horrible but I know better than to judge it on sight alone.

The tobacco is really rough. I usually don't smoke cigarettes and the few times my father in-law rolled a tobacco bai-jaak for me I had to sit down. They only put a few puffs worth in to the small leaf rolling papers and then they keep spinning it in the mouth as they smoke a few puffs, have a laugh and talk a bit and smoke the last bit. I really like the fact that they smoke like this as it makes me smoking gan-chaa a bit less obvious to passing people. I just look like a crazy farang smoking their tobacco. It's pretty dark and it's really a strong taste which makes me cough my lungs out. But it's probably much more natural and “better” for you than commercial cigarettes.

They eat those nuts here too and just like you say mostly the older ladies and a few of the men who don't smoke like to chew on those. Many have only half a set of teeth left and I wonder if those nuts aren't the main reason for that. People who don't eat those nuts seem to have better teeth in general.

I agree with you on the last points and like you said, sure some might have smoked opium with cannabis, why not? I tried it myself a few times mixing it with both flowers and hash but it wasn't a good way to smoke either, better to smoke them separately for best effects of both drugs.

Did you ever try the Namtom? It's quite a special experience especially together with some nice thai ganchaa. I usually go on a fishing trip once every year at a place I used to stay for three years. I have some really good local friends and when we go I always bring a lot of weed. My friend with the boat usually have a new bamboo bong for us to use along with a wooden cutting board and a big knife so we can chop up some weed and smoke it at all times. Another one of my buddies who always come along for those fishing trips will bring a lot of Chang beer and one of those huge plastic containers filled with Namtom then off we go for the day. Usually we have to have dinner together the next day as we are so beat when arriving back at the beach at evening time. Good times indeed hehe
i didnt try and khratom yet or mixes of it ,
but it sounds like something id enjoy ,
some friends that tried it said it was a bit narcotic,
i was always a weed guy , but recently , a year ago i went cold turkey and havent toked since ,
i had a court thing hanging over my head and i can be tested if they want , so was best to hang up the towel ,

but i think a few changs and some of that namtom would be fine,
particularly while fishing and socializing ,
sure sounds like you enjoy the lifestyle there man ,

i think eventually once all things are in place here i will spend more time there also , but likely in the north east where i have family and good friends , plus i love that isaan food ...

it sure sounds like with opposing affects with cannabis in opium they are better seperated ,

what ive been told by friends and you seem to have the same opinion , the opium will over power the high of the cannabis and ruin it ,
which with the old thai sticks and the sort of soaring high they used to have , would be a darn shame and not desirable at all ..

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Kreteks can be tough for most cigarette smokers as some landraces for daily coffeeshop visitors.

Attachments

• 20200621_142556.jpg
    20200621_142556.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 14

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
true story about thai sticks

true story about thai sticks

m0ng00se said:
Thai Stick - the true story

Okay everywhere I go on the web these days I see all these stories about the legendary Thai Stick from the 70's. I also see Seedbanks getting in on the act and purporting to sell the real strain that was used to make Thai stick.

My research and personal experience indicates that they are all simply making up a whole lot of rubbish.

I live in NZ which was the transit point for Thai Stick all over the world. I was there in the 70's and hooked into the Thai Stick distribution network run by Marty Johnstone and Terry Clarke.

Thai stick was known as "Buddha Stick" and as far as I know it was the Mr. Asia syndicate that coined the phrase. From memory this is actually explained in the out of print book about Terry Clarke. Anyway I have read some seedbank breeders from the 70's claiming all sorts of rubbish about "Buddha Sticks" coming from India which is rubbish. Buddha sticks have always referred to nothing but genuine Thai Stick and the "Elephant Stick" was a cheap Indian knockoff of the real Thai Stick.

Thai stick was the trippiest, most potent weed on the planet. End of story. Anybody who actually tried the real thing will tell you that and they will just laugh at you when you start going on about "White Widow" or some other fancy Dutch strain. The weed coming out of South East Asia at that time was stronger than anything that is around these days. As well as Thai Stick there was also "tripping weed" coming out of Sumatra and Vietnam that .... well you really have to try it to understand. The high is more like an acid trip than a weed experience.

Many people in later years have claimed that Thai Stick was so strong because it was dipped in opium, heroin water or hash oil. This sounds quite reasonable until you look at how much Thai Stick the Mr Asia syndicate was actually moving around the world. Dipping 500,000 sticks at a time is a pretty expensive way to do business. The book on Terry Clarke goes into quite a bit of detail about every shipment and it doesn't mention dipping the sticks in anything. Why would they even bother? They were already moving the strongest weed anyway that was selling faster than they could supply it? Still maybe they did dip it because when the weed dried up (Thailand couldn't grow enough of it fast enough to keep up with demand) the syndicate became the biggest Pacific rim heroin smuggler in the world.

It is generally accepted that the true Thai Stick strain is now extinct. The Mr Asia syndicate was buying all that could be produced and it is said that they were the ones who introduced Pakistani indica genetics to the growers. It was said that real Thai Stick took nine months to grow and mature so they crossed it with hash plant to get two or even three crops per season instead of one. I have no idea if that is true but something certainly did happen that killed Thai Stick stone dead. We started getting inferior sticks that were made up to look like the originals but the weed was different. Less potent, green instead of brown and a totally different taste and effect.

Contrary to popular belief, smokers did not embrace the new Dutch weed or believe it was more potent. That is just good marketing by the Dutch. The hippies complained loud and long about the new "chem schwag" that was replacing their beloved sun ripened golden sweet and spicey strains. We just got sick of complaining in the end.

For the record, the real Thai Stick came from Udon in East Thailand and I have never seen any Thai seeds in seedbanks that originated from this province.

Here are links to the original story of Thai Stick:

https://g-word.blogspot.com/2004/12/brigadoon.html
https://www.nzlistener.co.nz/issue/33...70E4D421455740
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Johnstone
https://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Thai-stick

The last link states that Thai Stick declined in popularity when stronger local weed came on the market. This is rubbish. I was there at the time in the middle of it all. Thai Stick never declined in popularity at all. It simply dried up and you couldn't get it anymore and everybody still wanted to get it and they still want to get it thirty years later. It was the fact that you couldn't get Thai Stick any longer that actually started the weed revolution. People all over the world suddenly started seeking out Asian and Columbian strains and growing them because they missed the Thai weed.

As a side note... after the Mr asia syndicate started falling apart the Australian Police busted one of the biggest commercial cannabis growing operations of all time (outside Mexico and Columbia). A huge Queensland syndicate was growing hundreds of acres (the police suppressed a lot of information at the time) of Thai weed right in the middle of the Queensland sugar cane belt. Many of the plants were reported to be 18ft high upwards. This stuff was almost as strong as original Thai Stick which sort of kills the dipped in opium theory. Not long after that NZ and Aussie were flooded with weed from Sumatra in Indonesia, apparently also grown by a huge syndicate. Once again that was killer weed far stronger than any Dutch strain I've ever tried.

In the last few years the rumours are that Papau New Guinea now has the killer weed. They call it 'Niugini gold' ....

If anybody could actually get their hands on some then we may find out that it is the new Thai Stick?

Now if anybody has any Niugini Gold seeds.... please PM me immediately ....

m0ng00se

https://webcache.googleusercontent.co...20weed&ct=clnk
<br />
<br />

funkyhorse

Opiated sticks were $40, regular sticks were $20.
Not sure about water, or how they were made, don't know, just a kid at the time, but everyone was calling it "opiated". I only got them for a summer and part of a school year, the green sticks were greenish brown and dry.
The brown sticks were wet, like if you handled them your hands would get messy. I remember it took a little effort to get it going in a bowl, once it was going it burned longer. Mostly we smoked the regular sticks. I remember one time the bag on the opiated stick had brown tarry residue bag was finished, so my friend took a rolling paper and collected tar on the bag with paper and then smoked the paper in his pipe.

All the Thai we smoked was the strongest weed we had ever smoked at the time and it was not the happy up sativa kind of high. It was very strong and even the non opiated was intense long lasting and would still make you crash hard many hours after you smoked it.

What you are describing seems to be fermented weed and if this is the case it starts making sense to me the whole thing
Fermentation is a natural process that might occur during transport either by accident or in purpose, this I dont know.

Paraguayan brick from the 80's was like you are describing the "opiated" stuff, very sticky, hard to smoke but would last longer and there was a whole industry of handcraft artifacts designed to smoke roaches. People were keeping those roaches full of oil and tar and 3 hits of it would hit you big time

There is a story of thai weed in South America in the 80's called Fumo da Lata. By the way it arrived to the coast, it went through a very interesting fermentation process that changed the history of ganja in Brazil

Please check Tangwena Malawi cob thread for fermentation techniques

@Stocktont: next time try the Namtom special with a little bottle of Sangsom whisky added to the mix

mexweed

Veteran
what if they weren't imported like that but done domestically by someone also dealing opium and maybe even cooking the opium into heroin

the stories of opium sticks often involve drinking and the resulting nausea being how to tell, vomiting from being a bit too drunk and taking too big of a bong rip isn't the same as experiencing nausea from opiates, so I doubt it was just weed/hash

what if it didn't have anything to do with Thailand, was the 'trip weed' from other countries ever tied and processed in a similar fashion, or what if it got tied like that to try to disguise the origin of it, it could have been Indonesian weed with opium from Afghanistan on it and it just got called 'thai stick' when it hit the streets to offer a familiar name and increase demand

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
What you are describing seems to be fermented weed and if this is the case it starts making sense to me the whole thing
Fermentation is a natural process that might occur during transport either by accident or in purpose, this I dont know.

Paraguayan brick from the 80's was like you are describing the "opiated" stuff, very sticky, hard to smoke but would last longer and there was a whole industry of handcraft artifacts designed to smoke roaches. People were keeping those roaches full of oil and tar and 3 hits of it would hit you big time

There is a story of thai weed in South America in the 80's called Fumo da Lata. By the way it arrived to the coast, it went through a very interesting fermentation process that changed the history of ganja in Brazil

Please check Tangwena Malawi cob thread for fermentation techniques

@Stocktont: next time try the Namtom special with a little bottle of Sangsom whisky added to the mix
hey funky ,
ive always thought the thai stuff was a little fermented also ,

they had to have tied it to the stick when it was still tacky and not properly dried , then they bundled them together ,
otherwise as you know in that climate they would have overdried quite quickly ,
so as a result they did undergo a slight fermentation process which changed the high a little i think anyhow ,
we have played around with that a bit where i live also ,
and tried the malawi cob cure method to see what came of it ,
it certainly changed the high one gets from fresh weed not cured in the same fashion ...

acespicoli

Well Santa Cruz is not tropical. Remember the Haze Brothers? That was pure sativa. It grew fine here.

I heard a pretty wild story recently, that the Haze Brothers was actually Sacred seeds. And that Sacred seeds was started pre prohibition, like in the 1920s. They had a massive collection of seeds going way back

I have also been talking to the guy who designed the Original Haze poster, and printed it up for them. It was 45 years ago, and he said it was actually not a poster. He said it was a label for the hand made wooden boxes they packed the Haze into. He kept 25 posters, but gave most of them away over the years. He lived on California st. in Santa Cruz across the street from R. Leach (Haze Bro). I was going to try and score a label from him. He said his were in immaculate condition. The picture Im refering to is my avatar.

I just thought of something. Maybe he knows exactly what went into the cross

Yup sounds legit, they had that Korean bud from the war and grew it in green houses before the raid

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
haze brothers were sacred seeds , huh ,

dr purps best have a yarn with sam to clear a few things up ,
seems to have gone off left field a little with that last post ,
no wonder he thinks thai sticks were opiated ,
he is easily convinced of wild stories being truth ..

Stocktont

Veteran
i didnt try and khratom yet or mixes of it ,
but it sounds like something id enjoy ,
some friends that tried it said it was a bit narcotic,
i was always a weed guy , but recently , a year ago i went cold turkey and havent toked since ,
i had a court thing hanging over my head and i can be tested if they want , so was best to hang up the towel ,

but i think a few changs and some of that namtom would be fine,
particularly while fishing and socializing ,
sure sounds like you enjoy the lifestyle there man ,

i think eventually once all things are in place here i will spend more time there also , but likely in the north east where i have family and good friends , plus i love that isaan food ...

it sure sounds like with opposing affects with cannabis in opium they are better seperated ,

what ive been told by friends and you seem to have the same opinion , the opium will over power the high of the cannabis and ruin it ,
which with the old thai sticks and the sort of soaring high they used to have , would be a darn shame and not desirable at all ..

The khratom juice or namtom is ok but I wouldn't recommend drinking a lot of it daily due to the amount of sugar and the morphine even if that is not super strong. It's kind of a stimulant at first but when you stop drinking it there's kind of a sedative side coming on and you might fall asleep in the beach-chair, especially if you had a few changs before or during.

Hope you get things sorted so you can smoke again... it's the only drug I found that I can use as much as I want to still it has minimal bad effects. Most of the others have side-effects that intrudes on health one way or another.

I am enjoying the lifestyle and culture. Still learning something new everyday. It's a very different world than our own. Working with them is also a whole new trip, we (westerners) and they (thais) don't have the same idea of communication and planning hehehe but it makes for a lot of laughs, got to keep that smile and always remember not to embarrass the boss and you're fine.

I totally understand you wanting to go where you know people and where you have family. It's really the best way to live here to have locals that are close to you. I know a lot of Isaan people and I like their food too but I spent most of my time in the country further south close to the oceans, on the islands and the mainland and I speak this dialect, the Isaan/Lao I only know a few words.

Yea that is also one of my points that if you smoke the opium with cannabis, it's not going to be as good/strong as smoking it in a proper pipe and if you've done that and had a real opium experience you know it doesn't really matter if you smoke weed after. If you're really lit on an opiate it is kind of overpowering. You can smoke a joint but then five minutes later it's like you never smoked that joint.

ngakpa

Veteran
amazing how this myth keeps going

you can't smoke opium in a joint

1. joints don't burn hot enough

2. opium in any meaningful quantity would clog the joint

also, opium smells and tastes horrible

and 101 other reasons, like the fact opium is way more expensive by weight than ganja, and has vastly more serious consequences for getting busted

nonsense from start to finish

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
The khratom juice or namtom is ok but I wouldn't recommend drinking a lot of it daily due to the amount of sugar and the morphine even if that is not super strong. It's kind of a stimulant at first but when you stop drinking it there's kind of a sedative side coming on and you might fall asleep in the beach-chair, especially if you had a few changs before or during.

Hope you get things sorted so you can smoke again... it's the only drug I found that I can use as much as I want to still it has minimal bad effects. Most of the others have side-effects that intrudes on health one way or another.

I am enjoying the lifestyle and culture. Still learning something new everyday. It's a very different world than our own. Working with them is also a whole new trip, we (westerners) and they (thais) don't have the same idea of communication and planning hehehe but it makes for a lot of laughs, got to keep that smile and always remember not to embarrass the boss and you're fine.

I totally understand you wanting to go where you know people and where you have family. It's really the best way to live here to have locals that are close to you. I know a lot of Isaan people and I like their food too but I spent most of my time in the country further south close to the oceans, on the islands and the mainland and I speak this dialect, the Isaan/Lao I only know a few words.

Yea that is also one of my points that if you smoke the opium with cannabis, it's not going to be as good/strong as smoking it in a proper pipe and if you've done that and had a real opium experience you know it doesn't really matter if you smoke weed after. If you're really lit on an opiate it is kind of overpowering. You can smoke a joint but then five minutes later it's like you never smoked that joint.
im not even sure i want to go back to smoking anything man ,

i smoked gunja for near on 40 years , profusely ....
i rarely even have a beer now either ,, like a bloody monk now ...lol ...

we certainly do things differently , i do note that most people from the tropics do things similarly though ,
i think they dont have to plan around the weather quite as much as folks from colder climates with fairer skin , hence "thai time" comes into play ,
it happens here , and my friend in Tahiti says its the same there too ..

i still giggle to myself about something my buddy prof77 said to me , who live there 23 years before passing ,
he commented they regularly ask "what are you doing" and "where are u going"

but they didnt seem to want an answer to it ,, they were not interested in his reply ,, just liked to ask the question ... hahaha ..

that isaan/laos language is no where near as kind to the ears as the sing song thai language ,,

when i first heard it on my first trip to burirram , i asked what was wrong , why is everyone sounding a bit upset ,
they explained they dont speak thai at home its laos language , certainly harder on the ear than thai , the laos people say its root is not the same as thai either ,,

but im no language expert so i cant comment really ...

amazing how this myth keeps going

you can't smoke opium in a joint

1. joints don't burn hot enough

2. opium in any meaningful quantity would clog the joint

also, opium smells and tastes horrible

and 101 other reasons, like the fact opium is way more expensive by weight than ganja, and has vastly more serious consequences for getting busted

nonsense from start to finish
well another person who has spent enough time there to know whats up , as good as first hand experience imho ,
and the conclusion is the same , thanks for chiming in ngakpa ,

i think its seen as a bit more "old school" if you say u smoked thai stick with opium man ,
true or not ,, sounds like your more cool , to those who dont know the difference ....

plus the dealer got to make some extra coin due to the infusion ,

again whether it happend or not . . lol ...

still cant believe the price americans were paying for thai sticks ,

they were 10 dollars aud when i started , recently up from 8 , thats a far cry from 20 to 40 american dollars ...

Stocktont

Veteran

we certainly do things differently , i do note that most people from the tropics do things similarly though ,
i think they dont have to plan around the weather quite as much as folks from colder climates with fairer skin , hence "thai time" comes into play ,

i still giggle to myself about something my buddy prof77 said to me , who live there 23 years before passing ,

but they didnt seem to want an answer to it ,, they were not interested in his reply ,, just liked to ask the question ... hahaha ..

that isaan/laos language is no where near as kind to the ears as the sing song thai language ,,

when i first heard it on my first trip to burirram , i asked what was wrong , why is everyone sounding a bit upset ,
they explained they dont speak thai at home its laos language , certainly harder on the ear than thai , the laos people say its root is not the same as thai either ,,

well another person who has spent enough time there to know whats up , as good as first hand experience imho ,

i think its seen as a bit more "old school" if you say u smoked thai stick with opium man ,
true or not ,, sounds like your more cool , to those who dont know the difference ....

they were 10 dollars aud when i started , recently up from 8 , thats a far cry from 20 to 40 american dollars ...

Well life is for sure good enough on its own accord I give you that. Not drinking is probably healthier than having the daily Changs. I've had periods in life where I didn't drink at all and some longer periods when I didn't smoke anything as well. As long as one is not longing for it then it's fine. Meditation can be much better than both weed and alcohol for sure. And meditation rarely works with alcohol, usually not with weed either as I already feel like meditating when smoking good weed so I don't sit down for it hehehe.

Yes it's a totally different culture and they seem to be more happy-go-lucky with their Thai time. I found that making plants also can be over rated here, they change so quickly and it's not always the information reaches you once things change. Wife: “we're going at 7 am tomorrow na” me: “ok” then I am ready at 7 am the next day and at about 7.30 I ask “are you ready to go”. Wife: “we decided not to go” me “and when were you planning on telling me” hahahaha.

They sure do ask things like “have you eaten yet” (gin khaow yaang) “where are you going” “bpai nai” and “what are you doing” (tam a-rai).

Yea the languages up north are a bit different to the southern and all those dialects are pretty different from Bangkok thai. I had an easier time with the Lao language as I encountered people speaking it away from their home region so I could just jokingly say “puud lao mai dai” they usually laughed at that.

I don't think any of the surrounding languages are that similar to thai, lao would be the one most similar if any but it's mostly similar to Isaan as they kind of share the dialect. Burmese or the Myanmar language is very different, there's a lot of guest workers from there around the tourist places and the construction sites. It can get confusing for some people who speak holiday thai when they order from a person they think is thai, in broken thai and then get upset when the locals can't even speak their own language. I had a good few laughs about this and told some people “dude that's a burmese and your thai isn't that good to be honest”...

funkyhorse

They sure do ask things like “have you eaten yet” (gin khaow yaang) “where are you going” “bpai nai” and “what are you doing” (tam a-rai).

Chinese ask the same questions thais do with same meaning.

Ni qi fan le ma? kim khao yang? Did you eat?
Ni qu nar? Pai nai? Where are you going?
Once I answered pai ki(go to shit). The answered has upset my thai friend so much I didnt do it again

It is an asian cultural thing

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran

I never saw 8 dollar sticks.It was usually 10-15 bucks, and sometimes 20. The big Buhdda sticks cost more, but they were pretty damn big/ There was never a 40 dollar stick that I remember here in Cali where I live.

Fifty one years of smoking here, and I still love it. Smoked OGMango Haze, and a narrow leaf this morning. Hell, I get up in the middle of night to take a bong hit, and sleep great. Sativas by day, Indicas by night.

Status
Not open for further replies.