What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I read lots claim opiumated Thai or Thai sticks dipped in hash oil was all myth and yet here is proof of a shipment of imported Thai sticks that were dipped in hash oil.

"Thai sticks" are small bamboo shoots filled with marijuana and laced with opium. The agreed price for these Thai sticks was $21 per stick. The persons who were to deliver the marijuana and the Thai sticks were different people. Hills returned to his farmhouse; shortly after 7:30 p.m., he left and went to the Riverview Bar where he was to meet the agents. Hills stated that the "Thai sticks" had been delivered and the person who delivered them was waiting alone at the farmhouse. En route to the farmhouse Hills stated that this person did not want to meet anyone. Upon arriving at the farmhouse, Hills, the informant and two agents entered. They passed through a limited area in the kitchen. Hills directed the three men into a den. He told the agents not to go into the living room; however, as they entered the house both agents observed the defendant-appellant, Thomas Monahan, seated in the living room. Following a discussion Hills left the den, went through the kitchen and into the living room. Following Hills into the kitchen, one agent observed Hills remove a bag from underneath a couch in the living room directly to the left of where Monahan was seated. In the den the sticks were counted, and after it was ascertained that there were 200, the bag with the sticks in it was returned to the hiding place in the living room. One agent left to get $4,200 from another agent waiting in the car while Hills brought the sticks back into the den. When the agent returned, both Hills and Monahan were arrested.
It was later discovered that the sticks were not laced with opium, but contained only marijuana and hashish.

https://law.justia.com/cases/wisconsin/supreme-court/1977/75-537-c-7.html

sdd420

Veteran
You haven't provided any clear and convincing proof that opiated Thai sticks were anything more than an American stoner fallacy

Dammit nothing worse than an American stoner fallacy!!

sdd420

Veteran
I actually don’t believe this happened, it was,I repeat was just really good weed..there were different one’s ie sumatran, thai, also buddha sticks were excellent and bigger in size. Then the golden or brown Thai that was loose buds not sticks, not as good as the sticks.

Nobody went to the hospital nobody got addicted nobody got opium on there sticks. Sorry it’s all hype not reality. Peace sdd420

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
This is from United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime

In some parts of North America, for instance, the following combinations are found: 'Candy sticks: cannabis herb cigarettes laced with cocaine;'Buddha': cannabis herb spiked with opium; 'Ace' or ' Zoom' : cannabis herb mixed with PCP, etc.; use of cannabis in food items (e.g. in NorthAfrica'); 'Marijuana brownies' (e.g. in North America); as well as frequent use of both cannabis and alcohol (often reported from Europe and Aus-tralia).

https://www.unodc.org/pdf/research/wdr07/WDR_2007_1.4_cannabis.pdf

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There was a black hash in SoCal in the early 70's that had white material tracing through it. The hash was called "Primo", and the white stuff was supposed to be opium.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
I remember in the 70's, Temple Balls that had white streaks through them that the dealers were saying was opiated but it was mold.

Stocktont

Veteran
I was in the pot business starting in about 1973. The opiated sticks were gone by around 1975. He wouldnt have seen them in1978.

There is an old pot documentary I saw years ago, that showed them processing the sticks in the left over waste water from the heroin process. The pictures were black and white

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]How did the opium treated sticks smoke as in how did they burn? Would be interesting to hear if you think it was actual opium or if it was any of this “early water” that DJ talks about. Did it burn easily and was the entire stick, all layers of flowers, soaked/dipped/washed in thie opiate substance or just the outer layer? Have you smoked proper opium on its own? If so, would the experience smoking the treated sticks compare?[/FONT]

Last edited:

Stocktont

Veteran

In some parts of North America, for instance, the following combinations are found: 'Candy sticks: cannabis herb cigarettes laced with cocaine;'Buddha': cannabis herb spiked with opium; 'Ace' or ' Zoom' : cannabis herb mixed with PCP, etc.; use of cannabis in food items (e.g. in NorthAfrica'); 'Marijuana brownies' (e.g. in North America); as well as frequent use of both cannabis and alcohol (often reported from Europe and Aus-tralia).

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Well you can't just read stuff and take it for facts. I would like to know how they laced those cigarettes with cocaine. Sure if you watch TV and movies you might think it's a good idea to dip an unlit cigarette in a pile of powdered cocaine and light it and you will have some sort of effect. But it's not true. I know first hand. Powdered cocaine won't smoke well even in dedicated glass pipes hence they “cook” it making ready-rock, free-base also known as crack. It's not the same as powder cocaine and it too won't burn mixed with tobacco, weed or hash.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]If you don't believe me try it and then come back with some first hand accounts and tell me how you did. Also tell me how that opium laced weed or hash smoked, I am very interested as there are some similar problems with that. How do I know? I tried it myself first hand. It's possible to smoke opium and cannabis but it's not the best way of smoking opium nor is it easy like just lighting a joint “dipped” in it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]There's a lot of these myths going around mixing some drugs with cannabis which are hilarious to read if you tried it. Like meth pills, here in Asia they say the addicts crush the Ya-Ba (crazy medicine = meth pills) and sprinkle them in joints or in tobacco. Go try it and then tell me how efficient it was. It's not a good idea to mix any of the above drugs with tobacco, weed or hash. It's a waste of all those drugs.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you believe all the links you post is my counter question to your question if people read the links?[/FONT]

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Do you guy even read the links and info posted
not one link proved any thai sticks had opium on them ,

if you look around enough you ll probably end up finding something, but its not accurate though ,
zero proof has been provided of this opium , heroin fantasy so far,

you are ignoring testament from people who were actually there in the scene , eye witnesses in fact, in order to cling to a myth and try and prove it by googling stuff ,
thats crazy man , it really is

you guys are just so set on believing a fairy tale ,

you have some idea the whole of thailand was the golden triangle hempy , but if you had a little think on it you would realize that was an area where 3 countries met , tri angle= 3 sides ,
not the whole of thailand ,

as i said in the other thread information about geography and the people is important when u want to debate what happens in a country ...

whats funny is the folks that believe the opium heroin water deal have not even been to thailand let alone go there duing the thai stick days ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
People claim Thai stick was never dipped in hash oil and that rumor was a myth also but here is proof that a shipment of Thai sticks dipped in hash oil was real.

"Thai sticks" are small bamboo shoots filled with marijuana and laced with opium. The agreed price for these Thai sticks was $21 per stick. The persons who were to deliver the marijuana and the Thai sticks were different people. Hills returned to his farmhouse; shortly after 7:30 p.m., he left and went to the Riverview Bar where he was to meet the agents. Hills stated that the "Thai sticks" had been delivered and the person who delivered them was waiting alone at the farmhouse. En route to the farmhouse Hills stated that this person did not want to meet anyone. Upon arriving at the farmhouse, Hills, the informant and two agents entered. They passed through a limited area in the kitchen. Hills directed the three men into a den. He told the agents not to go into the living room; however, as they entered the house both agents observed the defendant-appellant, Thomas Monahan, seated in the living room. Following a discussion Hills left the den, went through the kitchen and into the living room. Following Hills into the kitchen, one agent observed Hills remove a bag from underneath a couch in the living room directly to the left of where Monahan was seated. In the den the sticks were counted, and after it was ascertained that there were 200, the bag with the sticks in it was returned to the hiding place in the living room. One agent left to get $4,200 from another agent waiting in the car while Hills brought the sticks back into the den. When the agent returned, both Hills and Monahan were arrested.
It was later discovered that the sticks were not laced with opium, but contained only marijuana and hashish.

You have the DEA and Court Case on the bust of a shipment of hash oil laced Thai sticks.

You have United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime report clearly saying Buddha': cannabis herb spiked with opium and you have people saying they smoked opium laced hash or Thai you being one of them what more do you need ?.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The opium wash is talked about and why would the UN drug agency have Thai or Buddha sticks laced with opium in their report if they did not exist.

I am sure if i looked back into UN Drug agency reports from the 70s i would find a lot more information on set topic but the proof is there in print now so why bother.

Why would Thailand cannabis farmers dip the Thai sticks in Hash oil makes no seance right but clearly some did do it and then export it.

Let it go this now becoming silly.

Stocktont

Veteran
People claim Thai stick was never dipped in hash oil and that rumor was a myth also but here is proof that a shipment of Thai sticks dipped in hash oil was real.

You have the DEA and Court Case on the bust of a shipment of hash oil laced Thai sticks.

You have United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime report clearly saying Buddha': cannabis herb spiked with opium and you have people saying they smoked opium laced hash or Thai you being one of them what more do you need ?.

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Yea, DEA and UN, not the best sources for accurate drug information... it doesn't say how they differentiated between the cannabis flowers and the cannabis oil that it was supposedly laced with. I read most of that document you posted which is also not going back to the 70s but the furthest back I could see the graphs go was 1985 but far from all of them went back that far. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]To me it sounds even more strange that they would grow much more cannabis to make oil from than to make sticks, as you would need a hell of a lot of oil to lace or soak the stick in cannabis oil. You have made your own oil right? [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]And they state in that court case that “thai sticks are small bamboo shoots filled with marijuana and laced with opium” and then it said it was later discovered that the sticks were not laced with opium but contained only marijuana and hashish. In that long text which is a fragment of that court case they also talk about hashish separately, are you sure that they didn't just mix up the thai sticks and the hash? Doesn't say hash oil just hashish.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]I think they should have written that “it was later discovered that the sticks were not laced with opium and the bust had only marijuana and hashish” as they also seized hash.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Under section 22, quite a bit down you can read that the hashish was delivered to the agents and it seems to me that there was marijuana and hash, not marijuana laced with hash oil.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]"The hashish was not the product of a search or a seizure. It was freely and forthrightly delivered to the agents by Hills as a result of a transaction. The agents did not look for the hashish; it was brought to them and handed to them. They did not seize the hashish; it was placed in their hands in the den where they were told to be by the owner of the house. It was not discovered by any observation of an agent in a place he had no right to be. Such evidence, the rem itself, cannot be suppressed."[/FONT]

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
For the respondent the cause was argued by Marguerite M. Moeller, assistant attorney general, with whom on the brief was Bronson C. La Follette, attorney general.
BEILFUSS, C. J.
On the evening of January 20, 1975, federal narcotics agents received a phone call from a confidential informant who stated a sale of 500 pounds of marijuana could be arranged. The informant then had Richard Hills speak with the agent. Hills stated the "deal" could not be arranged until January 21, 1975. The informant was instructed to contact Hills on the following day. The informant contacted the agents the next morning, stating the marijuana would be taken to Hills' farm between noon and 1 p.m. The agents traveled from Milwaukee to Hills' farmhouse in Dodge county, arrived at 12:15 p.m., and established surveillance. A meeting between Hills and the agents was arranged. During the 5 p.m., meeting at the "This Place" tavern in Watertown, Hills stated that 200 "Thai sticks" would *392 be delivered to the farmhouse at 7:30 p.m., and that he was to meet the party who was to deliver the marijuana at 9 p.m. "Thai sticks" are small bamboo shoots filled with marijuana and laced with opium. The agreed price for these Thai sticks was $21 per stick. The persons who were to deliver the marijuana and the Thai sticks were different people. Hills returned to his farmhouse; shortly after 7:30 p.m., he left and went to the Riverview Bar where he was to meet the agents. Hills stated that the "Thai sticks" had been delivered and the person who delivered them was waiting alone at the farmhouse. En route to the farmhouse Hills stated that this person did not want to meet anyone.
Upon arriving at the farmhouse, Hills, the informant and two agents entered. They passed through a limited area in the kitchen. Hills directed the three men into a den. He told the agents not to go into the living room; however, as they entered the house both agents observed the defendant-appellant, Thomas Monahan, seated in the living room. Following a discussion Hills left the den, went through the kitchen and into the living room. Following Hills into the kitchen, one agent observed Hills remove a bag from underneath a couch in the living room directly to the left of where Monahan was seated. In the den the sticks were counted, and after it was ascertained that there were 200, the bag with the sticks in it was returned to the hiding place in the living room. One agent left to get $4,200 from another agent waiting in the car while Hills brought the sticks back into the den. When the agent returned, both Hills and Monahan were arrested.
Monahan brought a motion to suppress the evidence because it was obtained by an illegal search and seizure. The motion was denied on September 30, 1975. The original felony charge of possession with intent to deliver *393 was amended on October 8, 1975, to possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor. Monahan pled guilty to this charge and was placed on probation for one year on December 15, 1975. As conditions of probation, Monahan was to spend 90 days in jail under Huber provisions, pay costs and a fine of $100. The condition imposing 90 days in the county jail was stayed pending appeal.
The basic issue agreed upon by Monahan and the state is whether the visual surveillance of the living room, where the agents saw Hills remove a bag containing marijuana-hashish sticks from under the couch and identified Monahan, was a search in the constitutional sense.

Stocktont

Veteran
For the respondent the cause was argued by Marguerite M. Moeller, assistant attorney general, with whom on the brief was Bronson C. La Follette, attorney general.
BEILFUSS, C. J.
On the evening of January 20, 1975, federal narcotics agents received a phone call from a confidential informant who stated a sale of 500 pounds of marijuana could be arranged. The informant then had Richard Hills speak with the agent. Hills stated the "deal" could not be arranged until January 21, 1975. The informant was instructed to contact Hills on the following day. The informant contacted the agents the next morning, stating the marijuana would be taken to Hills' farm between noon and 1 p.m. The agents traveled from Milwaukee to Hills' farmhouse in Dodge county, arrived at 12:15 p.m., and established surveillance. A meeting between Hills and the agents was arranged. During the 5 p.m., meeting at the "This Place" tavern in Watertown, Hills stated that 200 "Thai sticks" would *392 be delivered to the farmhouse at 7:30 p.m., and that he was to meet the party who was to deliver the marijuana at 9 p.m. "Thai sticks" are small bamboo shoots filled with marijuana and laced with opium. The agreed price for these Thai sticks was $21 per stick. The persons who were to deliver the marijuana and the Thai sticks were different people. Hills returned to his farmhouse; shortly after 7:30 p.m., he left and went to the Riverview Bar where he was to meet the agents. Hills stated that the "Thai sticks" had been delivered and the person who delivered them was waiting alone at the farmhouse. En route to the farmhouse Hills stated that this person did not want to meet anyone.
Upon arriving at the farmhouse, Hills, the informant and two agents entered. They passed through a limited area in the kitchen. Hills directed the three men into a den. He told the agents not to go into the living room; however, as they entered the house both agents observed the defendant-appellant, Thomas Monahan, seated in the living room. Following a discussion Hills left the den, went through the kitchen and into the living room. Following Hills into the kitchen, one agent observed Hills remove a bag from underneath a couch in the living room directly to the left of where Monahan was seated. In the den the sticks were counted, and after it was ascertained that there were 200, the bag with the sticks in it was returned to the hiding place in the living room. One agent left to get $4,200 from another agent waiting in the car while Hills brought the sticks back into the den. When the agent returned, both Hills and Monahan were arrested.
Monahan brought a motion to suppress the evidence because it was obtained by an illegal search and seizure. The motion was denied on September 30, 1975. The original felony charge of possession with intent to deliver *393 was amended on October 8, 1975, to possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor. Monahan pled guilty to this charge and was placed on probation for one year on December 15, 1975. As conditions of probation, Monahan was to spend 90 days in jail under Huber provisions, pay costs and a fine of $100. The condition imposing 90 days in the county jail was stayed pending appeal.
The basic issue agreed upon by Monahan and the state is whether the visual surveillance of the living room, where the agents saw Hills remove a bag containing marijuana-hashish sticks from under the couch and identified Monahan, was a search in the constitutional sense.

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Where does it say “hash oil”? And what about the hashish that they delivered? I think you missed my point but never mind, you're right about one thing... getting silly[/FONT]

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
You asked for evidence you got it now the DEA and the UN Drug Agency are now not credible souses give me a brake all i see is excuses.

Service men that were in nam that smoked opium laced cannabis not credible and people posting they smoked it not credible .

Opium in not white by the way it can be brown or black.

Stocktont

Veteran
You asked for evidence you got it now the DEA and the UN Drug Agency are now not credible souses give me a brake all i see is excuses.

Service men that were in nam that smoked opium laced cannabis not credible and people posting they smoked it not credible .

Opium in not white by the way it can be brown or black.

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Dude you're mixing things up here... where did I say that opium is white? I have made no reference to the color of opium, trying to get a point for free are we?[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]And evidence? It says hashish and I pointed out that it seems they are mixing up the hash under section 22 that got delivered and the sticks or rather lumping it together. Did they wrap hashish around the sticks? It doesn't say anything about it being delivered from thailand wrapped in hashish does it? [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]I am not saying anyone is not credible. I asked you how the opium laced cannabis smoked or rather burnt before but you seem to pick and chose a bit what you want to talk about. Like I said I have first hand experience smoking cannabis with opium, How did it come? Dipped so all of it was soaked or was it just the outer layer that was soaked. How did it burn for you? Simple questions and I am not saying it didn't happen, just curious how it was for you. You seem to assume my stance on things and because I don't see the evidence you see in a report from the DEA and UN doesn't mean I don't believe people have ever smoked opium and cannabis together... come on man, do better than that.[/FONT]

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Dude you're mixing things up here... where did I say that opium is white? I have made no reference to the color of opium, trying to get a point for free are we?[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]And evidence? It says hashish and I pointed out that it seems they are mixing up the hash under section 22 that got delivered and the sticks or rather lumping it together. Did they wrap hashish around the sticks? It doesn't say anything about it being delivered from thailand wrapped in hashish does it? [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]I am not saying anyone is not credible. I asked you how the opium laced cannabis smoked or rather burnt before but you seem to pick and chose a bit what you want to talk about. Like I said I have first hand experience smoking cannabis with opium, How did it come? Dipped so all of it was soaked or was it just the outer layer that was soaked. How did it burn for you? Simple questions and I am not saying it didn't happen, just curious how it was for you. You seem to assume my stance on things and because I don't see the evidence you see in a report from the DEA and UN doesn't mean I don't believe people have ever smoked opium and cannabis together... come on man, do better than that.[/FONT]

What game are you playing Stocktont ?.

When the agent returned, both Hills and Monahan were arrested.

Thai sticks dipped in hash oil surely you can work that out ?.

Time to move on.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]playing this game
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Stocktont

Veteran
What game are you playing Stocktont ?.

When the agent returned, both Hills and Monahan were arrested.

Thai sticks dipped in hash oil surely you can work that out ?.

Time to move on.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]playing this game
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Playing games when not agreeing such simple technique, like projection is it? Moving on after realizing I never said opium is white but I am playing games. I just asked you some questions but those you can't answer and that's all fine. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]You make the assumption that it's hash oil, not me. Still sour about that thai walking stick incident are we? Don't take it so personally... I will refrain from commenting on your posts if it makes you so uncomfortable, it's not really important to me and I don't think I can ever add anything to your “knowledge”. The glass sure seems full already. Have a real nice day and chock dee khun Hempy![/FONT]

Last edited:

bigpeter

I'll just say this, I'm old enough to have had real thai sticks back in the 70's. As far as I'm concerned it was top quality very strong weed, about 2 grams tied onto what looked like a sliver of bamboo with twine probably from the stem. It had a sweet taste in the mouth as I remember taking a nibble, no bitter opium flavor at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts