What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanoweed

Based on look. I compare smokereports from Strains that were good (and its according Pic) to other Thaipics. This one looks like one with good Reports. So, similarities.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
ThaiSticks_1976.JPG

St. Phatty

Could always Make Your Own ...

When flower mixes are sold at garden supply stores, they often contain Papaver Somniferum, AKA the Opium Poppy.

Sometimes they are "down-bred", they select opium poppies with a low opiate content. The Danish Flag opium poppy falls in this category.

Usually the poppy seeds will be the smallest seeds in the bag.

Speaking of Thai ... the Blue Thai seeds I got from Marc Emery around 2002 were seriously good weed. Vigorous, smelled great, big fat seeds, great for crosses.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I'll try if I can now add the picture from the Pure Thai sativas thread that I'm reading.. There's more pictures of the Chiang Mai grow there..

picture.php?albumid=21100&pictureid=1282729.jpg

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
That's not wispy looking at all "for a sativa". ^^ I'm having a hard time believing the thing just disappeared. Mixed maybe, but not necessarily with anything outside of SE Asia. Who knows. Real seed co's Golden Lao looks quite similar and by looking at the stuff that the mates down in Oz are growing I don't think it's that heavily mixed either. For sure the Aussies have it preserved in some form or the other.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hey thule ,
in its natural setting they grow a better plant than away from it ,
in fact its hard to compare the indoor version to the one grown in thailand ,
this could be one of the reasons for folks assuming something was added to make the imported stuff more potent ...

a lot of what grew where i live in the early days came from those thai imports ,
the buds were not spindly by any means .. and a lot less hit and miss with potency than seed found thesedays ..

a whole bunch of assumptions and misinformation has come from westerners with regards to thai weed ,
and thailand itself ,
many think the country is covered in jungle , when in fact its quite a dry country , with some jungle in the north , and some in the south,
but generally its a little arid ,
they assume because there is a monsoon season there , the cannabis would be very tolerant of rain ,
however they didnt grow the cannabis during the rainy season ,
and when it was flowering it was super dry and hadnt rained for many months ...

sure its humid , but during the dry season which is harvest time for cannabis, humidity is very low ...

Raho

Veteran
I hope this hasn't been posted already.
The Future cannabis project has an interview on youtube with the authors of the book "Thai Stick", Peter Maguire and Mike Ritter.
Mike Ritter was a surfer and one of the original smugglers of weed out of thailand (besides soldiers bringing/sending it home.)
He was one of a handful of guys who made connections there and served as middle men between producers and buyers/smugglers.

In the interview, they are asked specifically about the legend of opiated weed.
Mike said out of all the bales/tons/boatloads he had a part in getting out of the country, he never saw weed adulterated with opium.
He pointed out that opium was WAY more expensive than weed, grown in a completely different part of the country by different people, and the weed itself was already the best in the world, commanding a premium price wherever the boats took it.
He talks about how at first it was mostly hippy/counterculture people making it happen, and that at some point, organized criminal elements got involved and things became much more dangerous and the quality went way down because the size of the operations increased geometrically.
He also talked about the US military transport of large amounts.

Don't just take my summary for granted. listen to them yourself.
https://youtu.be/cOa20IYE5Nw

The title of the video is simply THAI STICK
The account that posted it is: The Future Cannabis Project

Last edited:

romanoweed

that sounds logical some Fail to reproduce Thai Climate indoors, and stuff becomes shitty. However i smoke trippy stuff grown here.
So, i dont disagree, i agree, but its definitly possible to grow it indoors properly. Cause what i smoked was nearly perfection. Highly psychodelic weed.100 percent.

I just wanna inform people that the other Reason why they fail TODAY , might be cause they dont have the old Genetics. Just telling, so nobody gets misslead.. You cant grow perfect thai from degraded Genetics. possibly not.

I see it so rare. And to my knowledge good Thai genetics arent sold anywhere just like that..
I could also imagine longer ago people grew with shitty lights, bad equipment . Today lights improoved.. Im shure i could pull it off, just need the genetic,.. biggest problem

The genetic dissapeard i think, and if not, gets possibly inbreeding depressed all the time.. Thats big problem too.

...CR500AF...

I hope this hasn't been posted already.
The Future cannabis project has an interview on youtube with the authors of the book "Thai Stick", Peter Maguire and Mike Ritter.
Mike Ritter was a surfer and one of the original smugglers of weed out of thailand (besides soldiers bringing/sending it home.)
He was one of a handful of guys who made connections there and served as middle men between producers and buyers/smugglers.

In the interview, they are asked specifically about the legend of opiated weed.
Mike said out of all the bales/tons/boatloads he had a part in getting out of the country, he never saw weed adulterated with opium.
He pointed out that opium was WAY more expensive than weed, grown in a completely different part of the country by different people, and the weed itself was already the best in the world, commanding a premium price wherever the boats took it.
He talks about how at first it was mostly hippy/counterculture people making it happen, and that at some point, organized criminal elements got involved and things became much more dangerous and the quality went way down because the size of the operations increased geometrically.
He also talked about the US military transport of large amounts.

Don't just take my summary for granted. listen to them yourself.
https://youtu.be/cOa20IYE5Nw

The title of the video is simply THAI STICK
The account that posted it is: The Future Cannabis Pro

That is what is aswell.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Mike was one smuggler that used one broker out of Bangkok and he said there were many smugglers using other brokers and no one knew what the other smuggler was up to.

You them had the largest drug cartel operating out of Thailand made up of THE US /AUSTRALIAN MILITARY and other agency's like the CIA smuggling possible more than all of them combined so i wouldn't use Mike who loved smoking purple kush as a expert witness on what was happening all over Thailand as Thai weed went..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Mike was one smuggler that used one broker out of Bangkok and he said there were many smugglers using other brokers and no one knew what the other smuggler was up to.

You them had the largest drug cartel operating out of Thailand made up of THE US /AUSTRALIAN MILITARY and other agency's like the CIA smuggling possible more than all of them combined so i wouldn't use Mike who loved smoking purple kush as a expert witness on what was happening all over Thailand as Thai weed went..

why is it important to make note of his like of some purple weed ??

anyhow this was not happening all over thailand , as some seem to think ,
it was mainly based in one area , the north east isaan provinces ,
and along the border towns there ... (the towns and provinces bordering Laos)

ive mentioned this already , mostly the commercial weed was grown in the isaan area ,particularly the thai sticks ,
thats why several folks have pointed out it was not possible to have opiated thai sticks,
because they were from completely different parts of thailand ....

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Oh, they were real. You could smoke a regular thai stick because you could find them easily enough but when you got ahold of one of the opiated ones, life was so sweet.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Oh, they were real. You could smoke a regular thai stick because you could find them easily enough but when you got ahold of one of the opiated ones, life was so sweet.

did u read the rest of the thread and watch the youtube interview with a major smuggler etc ??
if you had im sure you would come to the conclusion it was just an urban myth ,
and you were simply smoking better weed , not something with another drug on it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts