What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinrusso

I've always had a theory that the old Thai sticks were bound up so tight and sealed so it almost had a cob like cure to it by the time it hit the streets. With the already electric high of the Thai it made it that much more spacey. That era I smoked Kona, Mauwi, Columbians, much of the local Cali/Ore bud, some that had thai in it, but Thai stick was always somthing special that you had to grab while it was there.

mack 10

Veteran
The only time I saw what was called opium washed , was like you dropped your hash in the sea, white streaked, it had a strange texture too. Different from any other hash I've encountered. But this one in a good way. (When ya 16 anyway?
Have heard since that it was mold ?
But that stuff light you up..super dreamy.
Only got it once in the early nineties.
At the same time the first oil dropped on my scene. Came in plastic straws if that rings any bells?

HAZENACIOUS

I too have heard the stories, and many at that. Hash said to be laced with opium was called "Seife" in Germany in the 90s.

But here's something to consider: Whenever opiates are involved there are overdoses and deaths.
Are there any stories about poeple od'ing on Thai weed or strange deaths after smoking hash? It's probably not super potent coming from "opium water", but if you can feel the effect, someone at some point is likely to od on it...

I'm thinking prohibitionist propaganda would have made a big deal out of it, but I can't recall hearing anything about it?
Any thoughts?
CC
I heard Bruce Lee's official cause of death was "hashish overdose" on a documentary...
Not sure if this helps,

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bruce Lee died from brain edema possibly caused by a reaction to a prescription painkiller(meprobamate and aspirin). Meprobamate treats anxiety not pain?. I'm not a Dr lol..

Veggia farmer

mix opium with hot water and you can spray or dip that on to sticks or hash chunks. Raw opium burns pretty bad yes, but it do burn. Opium does NOT necessarily make you couchlocked. It can but, yes.. high dose. I have never been, you can also just use the same cooking method with whole pods or seed and make opium. When you collect on live plants you can collect multipletimes.

When I was a kid we collected some in the gardens of old ladies. One times we felt quite a lot.. First me and a friend smoked some hash than afterwars this black brown gele stuff.. then we didnt feel so different just that we were stoned longer than if we would smoke hash alone.. Then I walked home in the sunshine totally at peace, grateful and very happy. My friend went to some other people later that evening and was asked way he was glowing with so nice energy. They didnt know what we had smoked. and I also made teas from pods and seed. A mild stone, good when your sick. Fever.

Thats my experience with the plant. Long time since. Have some outdoors flowering now but thats ornamental:)

ngakpa

Veteran
yea i think we covered that already in this thread ,
highly likely those two substances have been mixed at some point ,
humans tend to try everything ,
chances of tonnes being dipped in anything and exported,

(with the amount of reports from usa to australia , it would have to have been tonnes)

was quite unlikely though according to the majority for a range of reasons including cost , logistics etc etc ...

don't see why a myth necessarily has to have a basis in truth tbh

far more likely explanation:

very few people in the States in the late 60s had ever smoked strong cannabis

suddenly Thai stick and hashish turn up

inexperienced people start looking for explanations of why they're so high

fwiw, there's a lot of nonsense being talked about opium above, but whatever

ngakpa

Veteran
The only time I saw what was called opium washed , was like you dropped your hash in the sea, white streaked

white streaks = mold

not uncommon in hand-rubbed charas, not least because water content can be fairly high in the fresh resin using this method

ngakpa

Veteran
I smoked a lot of the black afghani gold sealed or gold stamped as we used to call it, never saw it being laced with anything. When was it you got it with opium? Was it laced like a coating of opium or was it bits inside the hash? That's a nice boss that is kind enough to discriminated favorably towards some drugs hehe

thing is, unpack that opiated Afghan hash story:

export hash from those regions is imo all bulked out with tree resins, henna, powdered plant etc.

that was the case in the 19th century, and Howard Marks even describes the Afridis doing it, though he didn't seem to realize

all the Afghan hash I have seen in the UK, including Gold Seal and Red Seal, and the stuff with the Nothern Alliance stamps etc. --- all substandard, nothing like what you can get at source in Afghanistan and northern Pakistan

but according to the claim, we're meant to believe that producers and smugglers are adding opium to this hash

opium, a vastly more expensive product even at source, never mind how much more expensive relative to hash it is in Europe

total BS

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
In 2006 (or perhaps early 2007) we smoked very good Afghan blacks, one day a girl smoked too much, and she felt bad, (nothing serious, white face, shaking legs, Hehehe) but someone called an ambulance and in that school chaos .... However, they analyzed a piece of that hashish, and in addition to the classic henne and paraffin, they found a significant amount of opium (it could also have been a derivative of opium, or a waste), therefore at least in a case it was not bs ...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im sure there's 1 off where some have added something. It wasn't added when the hash or Thai stick was made. Those that did that are asshats if they didn't tell any what was in it.

Stocktont

Veteran
thing is, unpack that opiated Afghan hash story:

export hash from those regions is imo all bulked out with tree resins, henna, powdered plant etc.

that was the case in the 19th century, and Howard Marks even describes the Afridis doing it, though he didn't seem to realize

all the Afghan hash I have seen in the UK, including Gold Seal and Red Seal, and the stuff with the Nothern Alliance stamps etc. --- all substandard, nothing like what you can get at source in Afghanistan and northern Pakistan

but according to the claim, we're meant to believe that producers and smugglers are adding opium to this hash

opium, a vastly more expensive product even at source, never mind how much more expensive relative to hash it is in Europe

total BS

I used to look with a loop at weed that was grown to see the color of the resin heads and I looked at things like the black afghani and really good moroccan. Couldn't ever see anything but resin heads. The moroccan was usually lighter in color where the afghani black had a darker, amber color. If you looked at something of a bit lower quality like what went around as “super moroccan” you could clearly see plant material mixed with the resin heads. It was also pretty clear smoking it that it was some pieces of the plants (cannabis) that went into those lower quality shakes from Morocco. I certainly believe that you'd find the best of the best afghani in Afghanistan as you would with the very best of moroccan, it's in Morocco. Though some high quality hash were exported across the straight and north. Never did I see it laced with anything like opium though. I always had the same thoughts as you, why would they lace it with a more expensive and pretty different kind of drug?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
How old are most of you that live or visited Thailand or the Golden triangle because i would highly doubt any of you were there in the 70s and how much do you think opium costs in its raw form coming from farmers be it from the golden triangle or Afghanistan.

Farmers get very little for the opium they grow and unless you know the right people your not about to make your way into the areas controlled by war lords.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
How old are most of you that live or visited Thailand or the Golden triangle because i would highly doubt any of you were there in the 70s and how much do you think opium costs in its raw form coming from farmers be it from the golden triangle or Afghanistan.

Farmers get very little for the opium they grow and unless you know the right people your not about to make your way into the areas controlled by war lords.
sam skunkman says he was there hempy in those years ,
and asked the growers , he posted in this thread and or your one about it ,
there was someone else also , so yes some of the posters were there ,
what year did the sticks you toke come in?? if it was the 70s it must have been the very late ones given your age ?

several have posted that the sticks and the opium were not grown near each other , the thai sticks were not grown in the golden triangle area , they were closer to the laos boarder away from burma/myanmar ,
leaving an issue with the logistics of one having to be transported to the other , in large amounts , by people who typically , and still today do not cooperate well together and certainly dont share the same businesses ,
also while im sure the opium from a farmer is cheaper than it would be retail , it is still a lot more expensive than the $3 a kilo for the thai sticks ,
lastly the guys that maintain there was opium mixed , seem to agree it was via a wash of some sort , not the pure opium itself as it would have been very visibly present ,
you added that quote yourself from dj short about the heroin wash right??

Stocktont

Veteran

What year did you go there @Hempy?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I highly doubt Sam went into areas control by war lords and the first Thai sticks i smoked was 79 the opiumated Thai sticks i saw were around until 82 i think and you had to know the right people to get them we got them from a mates uncle who was a biker.

Your post at MrNice were you posted you had smoked opiumated hash a post before that you posted saying you only smoked bricked Thai and never Thai sticks.

I saw the brick Thai also some was good but most was not as good as the sticks and the last lot of brick Thai i saw was 85 or 86 and it was real poor quality.

In Thailand Bangkok at the same time period you could still find quality Thai to smoke if you knew the right people i know this for a fact as a close friend went there monthly on business and the first thing he did after dropping his bags off was to go see his local mate and score his weed.The same friend collected the Golden Buddha line (named by the Thai guy he got it from ) just encase that is a problem to.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I highly doubt Sam went into areas control by war lords and the first Thai sticks i smoked was 79 the opiumated Thai sticks i saw were around until 82 i think and you had to know the right people to get them we got them from a mates uncle who was a biker.

Your post at MrNice were you posted you had smoked opiumated hash a post before that you posted saying you only smoked bricked Thai and never Thai sticks.

I saw the brick Thai also some was good but most was not as good as the sticks and the last lot of brick Thai i saw was 85 or 86 and it was real poor quality.

In Thailand Bangkok at the same time period you could still find quality Thai to smoke if you knew the right people i know this for a fact as a close friend went there monthly on business and the first thing he did after dropping his bags off was to go see his local mate and score his weed.The same friend collected the Golden Buddha line (named by the Thai guy he got it from ) just encase that is a problem to.
no i said i only saw thai brick weed in thailand ,, i said i smoked thai sticks in australia because i did ,in the early 80s

and later after the sticks dissipated we got golden thai that was not on the stick, just buds of golden goodness , very strong , more than the sticks which were a brown color ....

and with reference to the hash , we were told thats what it was , but i dont think so myself , i think it was just good hash and folks said it was something other than that because it was more potent than they were used too ..

i just repeated what i was told , but in hindsight i think it was simply hash stronger than the average ..

the brick weed was more likely from over the border of thailand and not grown in thailand ,, it is still there but not grown in country , it ranges in quality , some is quite good ...

we also saw it in melbourne in the early 90s ,
the guys called it wheat bix because an ounce was about that size,
it was exactly the same as some i saw when i went there years later , i knew the smell ...

if sam was looking at cannabis , which is what he said he was doing,
there was no need to go to the golden triangle hempy ,
he went to Udon and the provinces around there like sakon nakon , nong khai etc

the same places i spend time in when i go ,
they are not near where the borders of thailand , laos and burma meet , aka the golden triangle area ,
though there is no reason why he couldnt have traveled there , it was not illegal , one would have to simply watch where they went is all,
the same as anywhere really ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts