What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pineapples Oaxacan Thread

Carraxe

Veteran
Nice work. It seems you are in a parallel path to mine. I've been working with Mextiza for years, to try to get something as good but without all the genetic havoc they had. I couldn't get any Oaxaca '79 seeds, but I believe Mextiza can be a good substitute, since its endogamy is lower and Oaxaca '79 is very dominant.

Have a look at my threads, if you want. They are in the section "breeder's laboratory". There is no way Oaxaca'79 is a landrace, altough is probably a good representation of a hybrid based on the best characteristics of Mexican landraces, but faster and stronger.

I've already crossed several Mextizas with quite a lot of strains, you can find something useful there. I was lucky enough to receive a selected specimen from CBG's original F1 Mextizas.

Sweet smokes

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
Nice work. It seems you are in a parallel path to mine. I've been working with Mextiza for years, to try to get something as good but without all the genetic havoc they had. I couldn't get any Oaxaca '79 seeds, but I believe Mextiza can be a good substitute, since its endogamy is lower and Oaxaca '79 is very dominant.

Have a look at my threads, if you want. They are in the section "breeder's laboratory". There is no way Oaxaca'79 is a landrace, altough is probably a good representation of a hybrid based on the best characteristics of Mexican landraces, but faster and stronger.

I've already crossed several Mextizas with quite a lot of strains, you can find something useful there. I was lucky enough to receive a selected specimen from CBG's original F1 Mextizas.

Sweet smokes

Hello Carraxe, yeah seems i work on something similar. I always wanted the CBG Oaxaca79 without Nep/Jam inside, in a "pure" form.

Yes i also think it's not a landrace, the resin production and fast finishing are suspicious. But we not know much about this line, just that it's coming from a single Seed from that era.(if that's true, i don't know)
It seems even in the late 70's there already some hybridisation occurred in Mexico and other parts. But fast flowering and resin production not must mean that it isn't pure at all. Maybe that line comes from a very high altitude where it has to finish faster?

On Vermontmans Oaxacan line we think it maybe has a connection to old Lebanese lines and maybe was brought to Mexico by Lebanese migrants. The main aroma in Vermontmans Oaxacan line are pine and cedar with slighty fruity undertones as well as a hashi note. Vman told me that in the late 80's he was in Amsterdam and smoked some red lebanon hash which reminds him a lot to his Oaxacan line. Pine, cedar, as well as fruity and hashi notes are also often reported to be in lebanese lines, which are also pretty fast finishing, the high also is reported to be cerebral. And when i look at some pictures of lebanese plants i could swear i see a lot of similarities. The resin production and the big buds look familar as well. :)

In the end we not know much about the CBG Oaxaca79 line, but it seems it's something nice and special and makes nice crosses. Think it's more important to look at the plants and not where it's coming from, as we probably never will know the real story behind it.

And yeah i already looked at your Thread from time to time, nice project you have running there. Hope mine is working out as good as yours.

As i finally have my Seed Collection back, i've already started to pop 15 Oaxaca79Skull today. Have a bit over 100 Seeds left for later use/reproduction.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

elanius

Veteran
sweet thread PP, subscribed!

I read some speculation there is skunk in Oaxacan 79, but as you said, we may never know whats in there. But no doubts this plant is unique in its aroma and flowering time. After growing Mextizas, also wondering how is the Oaxacan 79 without Nepal Jam, this time growing some Oaxacan79xPanama, so far very wide leafs for (allegedly:)) pure NLD line.

Good luck with your project, great idea to merge those lines..

Breadwizard

It could be selectively bred towards faster finishing, I know some Mexicans can finish pretty quickly, especially if selected for it.

I've got a Mexican line apparently from RC Clarke (First Lady from o deli) from the 60s which is short, dark leafed, and finishes in 8ish weeks.

There's also rumors of this line having Indica in there somewhere, but o deli says they were told it's pure.

I think last I checked there was a phylos connection between the tested Oaxacan 79 and a Mexican held by RC Clarke just called "Mexico" so who knows.

Nexus7

Oaxaca '79 heritage

Oaxaca '79 heritage

Oaxaca '79 has already been submitted to phylos for DNA testing. It's directly related to a AfghanxSkunk submitted by Sam and also closely related to a Mexican line submitted by RCC (maybe the delicatessen version?).

Possibly O79 is the Mexican parent of Skunk#1 or possibly it has been hybridized with either Afghan and/or Skunk#1.

When Dubi grew out his s1's seeds the flowering time was quite variable. As quick as 9 weeks and up to 16 iirc. So would suggest to me it's a hybrid of an early flowering variety to a late flowering variety.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
sure guys, about cbg oaxacan, ghani genetics was introduced to Mexico around 1976 so here you go, I think that livers terps are from ghani side, just my speculation.. still gives happy vibe effect which is very unique and remarkable imo.. good luck with project PP.

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
sweet thread PP, subscribed!

I read some speculation there is skunk in Oaxacan 79, but as you said, we may never know whats in there. But no doubts this plant is unique in its aroma and flowering time. After growing Mextizas, also wondering how is the Oaxacan 79 without Nepal Jam, this time growing some Oaxacan79xPanama, so far very wide leafs for (allegedly:)) pure NLD line.

Good luck with your project, great idea to merge those lines..

Thanks elanius!

Yes have read it on phylos a while ago that there is a sample of Afghani#1 x Skunk#1 which shows a relation to the Oaxaca. The problem with phylos is, it's not that clear how to interpret the results. Maybe the Oaxaca79 is a Skunk hybrid, or this Oaxacan line is a building block of this Afghani#1 x Skunk#1 hybrid?!

Have seen pictures of the Panama ACE Seeds is using with some wider leaved plants. So maybe it's from the Panama side?

Thanks! :)

It could be selectively bred towards faster finishing, I know some Mexicans can finish pretty quickly, especially if selected for it.

I've got a Mexican line apparently from RC Clarke (First Lady from o deli) from the 60s which is short, dark leafed, and finishes in 8ish weeks.

There's also rumors of this line having Indica in there somewhere, but o deli says they were told it's pure.

I think last I checked there was a phylos connection between the tested Oaxacan 79 and a Mexican held by RC Clarke just called "Mexico" so who knows.

Well, i also think there can be a lot of work done with selection. Who ever worked the line (if it wasn't nature), i think he did a good work, except the Inbred depression maybe, but yeah we not know exactly how it was reproduced till charlie garcia got it in his hands.

The Oaxaca79 sample ACE has send in shows as relatives:

-Mexico ( RC Clarke)
-Afghani#1 x Skunk#1 (David Watson)
-Mexico Oaxaca79S1 (David Watson)

So it seems David Watson has a own Oaxaca79S1 line in his libary, closely related to the sample ACE has submitted? The Oaxaca79S1 sample submitted by ACE not even is listed as S1, but we know that it was a sample from the S1 Seeds Dubi received from Charlie Garcia.

We know that not everything behind phylos seems to be that nice from reports and articles popped up around the www. Not even David Watson isn't a big fan of phylos anymore and seems to be done with them. What ever was going on behind the curtains, only they know.

I know that Johnny Chicago has submitted a sample of Original Haze a good while ago, strangely it never was published. Who knows why samples got lost or not shows what we think it should look like. Maybe there is a special motivation behind all this? Why the Skunk#1 samples submitted by David Watson not shows a connection to any of the Acapulco, Colombian, Afghani or other Mexican samples? There are quite a few of old Sativa samples submitted which should at least show a connection to one of these samples i guess...but yeah there are 3 pages with relatives to Skunk#1, all hybrids.... Did someone want to hide the building blocks of Skunk#1?

Oaxaca '79 has already been submitted to phylos for DNA testing. It's directly related to a AfghanxSkunk submitted by Sam and also closely related to a Mexican line submitted by RCC (maybe the delicatessen version?).

Possibly O79 is the Mexican parent of Skunk#1 or possibly it has been hybridized with either Afghan and/or Skunk#1.

When Dubi grew out his s1's seeds the flowering time was quite variable. As quick as 9 weeks and up to 16 iirc. So would suggest to me it's a hybrid of an early flowering variety to a late flowering variety.

Are you sure about the 16 week phenos? From the post i read from Dubi the longer flowering phenos were something about 11-12 weeks, most around 9 weeks.

sure guys, about cbg oaxacan, ghani genetics was introduced to Mexico around 1976 so here you go, I think that livers terps are from ghani side, just my speculation.. still gives happy vibe effect which is very unique and remarkable imo.. good luck with project PP.

Hmm, in the report from Dubi i not found something he described as a liver smell. Was it Charlie or Dubi who described a liver smell? Maybe there is a liver smell in Mextiza? I like liver, my mother makes it often, with Onions and mashed Potatoes. :)

Recently i saw some more pictures of the BOEL Oaxaca as well as Cryptic labs Oaxaca, seems there is alot of variation with even some pretty indica looking plants.

Nexus7

So it seems David Watson has a own Oaxaca79S1 line in his libary, closely related to the sample ACE has submitted? The Oaxaca79S1 sample submitted by ACE not even is listed as S1, but we know that it was a sample from the S1 Seeds Dubi received from Charlie Garcia.

Are you sure about the 16 week phenos? From the post i read from Dubi the longer flowering phenos were something about 11-12 weeks, most around 9 weeks.

I'm pretty sure the Oaxaca79s1 was submitted from Dubi via SamS. Initially a lot of Ace submission were under David Watson's name as he would test them free of charge.

I could be wrong about the 16 week s1. I'll have to check that thread again.

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
I'm pretty sure the Oaxaca79s1 was submitted from Dubi via SamS. Initially a lot of Ace submission were under David Watson's name as he would test them free of charge.

I could be wrong about the 16 week s1. I'll have to check that thread again.

Yes, but there are 2 Oaxaca79 samples. One submitted by ACE called Oaxaca79, and one by David Watson called Mexico Oaxaca79S1. Probably it's the same, just under 2 names.

The one by ACE Seeds has the relatives in order like this:

1-Mexico
2-Afghani#1 x Skunk#1
3-Mexico Oaxaca79S1

The David Watson sample has the order of relatives like this:

1-Afghani#1 xSkunk#1
2-Mexico
3-Oaxaca79

But when it's the "same" sample, why the order of the relatives is different? The order of the relatives must play a role. Cause it says there. "The list of genetic relatives is ordered in descending relatedness."

Both Oaxaca79 samples have a different ID as well. That's what i mean with phylos is confusing...

Nexus7

I think the CBG parent would be the Oaxacan 79 and the S1 from a plant from those s1 seeds made in 2008.

Ace seeds don't need to hold the clone to submit the sample just some plant material leaf, flowers or stem.

It is odd that the S1 and the O79 parent are more distantly related to each other than to Afghan#1xSkunk#1 or Mexico.

Possibly selfing induces more genetic recombination making it look less related than a standard male/female mating. Just a wild theory though.

I guess we could always ask Sam if the O79 s1 is his submission or not.

Nexus7

Fyi clones will all get grouped together so O79 and O79s1 are definitely not the same sample.

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
When you click on variety profile on the ACE sample it say's

Oaxaca79
"Floral, perfumey, musky, lemony, incensey, woody, spicy. The main monoterpenes found in Oaxaca 79 are terpinolene, followed by beta pinene, trans ocimene and limonene, then alpha pinene, beta myrcene and linalool. The main sesquiterpene found in the samples is beta caryophyllene, followed by alpha humelene, guaiol and trans nerolidol, then alpha bisabolol (only found in parental plant #8) and oxide caryophyllene (only found in parental plant #24)."

So the both samples maybe are Plant#8 and Plant#24 ?! Anyway, it's a bit confusing, whatever this Oax79 is, it is what it is and im focussing on the one plant i have to work with. Im interested in a happy high, great smell and taste, and of course the early finishing time, if it has all these qualities than im more as happy and not care anymore about the history. Otherwise i would get headache. :D

Nexus7

That would make sense one is plant #8 and the other #24. Still a bit strange that siblings are less related than Afghan×Skunk and Mexico. Unless they are the direct parents ...

Anyway apologies for the headaches.

Happy high, great smell & taste and short flowering time seems like a winner.

Good luck!

Breadwizard

Who submitted that Afghan#1 x Skunk#1? Because name labels are user created, so I take some of the labels with a grain of salt. One look at the labeling mess that all the big purp clusters have is a great example.

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
Who submitted that Afghan#1 x Skunk#1? Because name labels are user created, so I take some of the labels with a grain of salt. One look at the labeling mess that all the big purp clusters have is a great example.

Afghan#1 x Skunk#1 was submitted by David Watson. Dave Watson has submitted 68 varieties, and what i noticed is, ALMOST all these 68 varieties were tested at the same Day (September 21, 2016)

Yeah i know people have send in samples with just a number to hide the strain name etc.

Breadwizard

As we're talking about Oaxaca 79 hybrids, here's another CBG release containing the Oaxaca 79, Purple Mexican which is crossed with thier PCK selection.
picture.php

She's prepping to be pollinated by Zapotec from norstar, which also contains a Oaxaca. Zapotec is 81 highland Oaxaca Gold x Santa Marta Colombian Gold (I'm assuming this is likely from Reeferman originally).

I'm also planning on crossing her with a nice male from my Zacatecas Tribute pack I've got squirreled away, so I'll be crossing both Oaxaca 79 selections as well, however less directly.

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
As we're talking about Oaxaca 79 hybrids, here's another CBG release containing the Oaxaca 79, Purple Mexican which is crossed with thier PCK selection.
View Image
She's prepping to be pollinated by Zapotec from norstar, which also contains a Oaxaca. Zapotec is 81 highland Oaxaca Gold x Santa Marta Colombian Gold (I'm assuming this is likely from Reeferman originally).

I'm also planning on crossing her with a nice male from my Zacatecas Tribute pack I've got squirreled away, so I'll be crossing both Oaxaca 79 selections as well, however less directly.

Plant looks more on the PCK side, let's see what the Oax brings in to this Plant. :)

Heard about this Zapotec, think Reefermans SMCG line in that cross could be nice, sadly the ones i had never made it into flower. I saw some phenotypes of Seedsman Original Haze which were looking pretty similar to some flowering plants i saw on pictures of Reefs SMCG. When you google for "Johnnursery SMCG" you will find the pictures, they are the first which pop up.