What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding a Cambodian auto

zif

Veteran
That’s rough luck. Hope you get closer to the expected 25% auto in round two!

gorilla ganja

Too bad you didn't find any Autos first batch, but keep looking.

That's the beauty of searching for Autos in your hybrid.
Under 24 hrs of light, you can usually sex Auto plants as early as 2/3 weeks.
I go through a lot of Autos quickly for breeding purposes. I start a hundred seeds and 3 weeks later have narrowed them down to less than 10 of the best females to breed with.

Also, you can cross the best non-Auto phenos you find while going through the F2 looking for full Autos. Even if you cross non-Autos together in the F2 you should still get a higher number of full Auto in F3.

So your crossing the one female you found to a Jack Auto now?

teide

Veteran
Thanks guys.
I agree, nonauto f2s are worth crossing if they have the right traits.
Was hoping to get some auto pollen in f2, but only one female auto and four nonauto females. One hermie was culled. Gave them all auto Jack pollen. So the one female auto and the four nonautos now have cambo x drfeelgood x auto Jack genes. When backcrossed, the cambo output will increase.
This batch will be labeled separately from next f2 round, which hopefully can be intercrossed without adding auto Jack.

teide

Veteran
picture.php

Found a male auto after all.
Had given up on all plants in the first round and was about to cull the last ones when I saw that finally auto balls showed up. This has been under 18 hours of light, so it must be auto, but I assumed photo because of the long wait for preflowers. A Short Stuff Auto Purple Gorilla was planted at the same time as these f2s, it is developing seeds already. It has been more than 40 days, I guess 50. I was just impatient. Slower to start flowering might not be so bad, could indicate more landrace genes? I have one more male in addition to this one, but ut is tiny and will be culled.
So I got two male and one female auto from the first 20 seeds. Not bad.
Too bad the other female f2s are already pollenated with auto Jack herer. This plant will be flowered out and pollen harvested, but I would like to see it fully grown before using the pollen. So far it unfortunately seems very indica dom to me..

herblux

That's an encouragement, herblux!
So if I understand correctly, all the small plants in the photo were ruderalis? The biggest one is not bad looking at all for a young rudi. A shame you didn't get to use it.
My rudi looked a lot like the tinier ones in your photo. I have no more Siberian ruderalis seeds, so I will need to use the pollen I harvested from this weakest plant I ever grew.
Interesting to see if there is anything worthwhile coming up in future offspring.

Sorry, missed your post Teide.
Yes, all small plants are the Siberian Ruderalis. The big one is a RSC Lebanese male.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
View Image
Found a male auto after all.
Had given up on all plants in the first round and was about to cull the last ones when I saw that finally auto balls showed up. This has been under 18 hours of light, so it must be auto, but I assumed photo because of the long wait for preflowers. A Short Stuff Auto Purple Gorilla was planted at the same time as these f2s, it is developing seeds already. It has been more than 40 days, I guess 50. I was just impatient. Slower to start flowering might not be so bad, could indicate more landrace genes? I have one more male in addition to this one, but ut is tiny and will be culled.
So I got two male and one female auto from the first 20 seeds. Not bad.
Too bad the other female f2s are already pollenated with auto Jack herer. This plant will be flowered out and pollen harvested, but I would like to see it fully grown before using the pollen. So far it unfortunately seems very indica dom to me..

Congrats for the male! The sativa side makes autoflowering trigger at a later time than is usual for most autoflowers. What you also might have noticed is the percentage of autoflowering plants in the f2 or the first back cross can be much lower than the predicted 25% or 50%. It can be down to 0% for the f2 if not enough plants are grown out. In the first back cross to the autoflower parent I've had as few as one plant out of six autoflower if long flowering sativas are being used.

Edit: And I though this was a fresh thread. Still haven't let it sink in that the year is 2021..

teide

Veteran
Long time since last update. Now I am finally ready for a new round. This summer I will go through more F2 seeds, the first five are soaking already.

aliceklar

Hi teide, how is your project going? Anything interesting in those F2s?

My AK47 auto breeding project is underway... Had some awful problems this last grow and nearly lost all the F1 plants, but looks like I will get several hundred F2 seed to play with and search through for auto expression to take to F3. I have not yet got round to growing out the RSC Syrian, and ended up using a really nice male from a batch of F1 Medical Mass x White Rhino. Johaar auto will have to wait... for now...

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...0075-ak-auto-rqs-x-medical-mass-x-white-rhino

teide

Veteran
Hi guys, not much new to report in regards to results..
The F2s so far have been really odd.
They all die on me. The males lasted long enough to give me pollen, but the F2s dry out and die, so the females haven't given me F3 seeds yet.
I wonder if it is genetic, as the environment seems to be the same as before, though these have been grown out in my veg room and the f1s were in the flower room, so lights and humidity might make a difference. I read here that one grower had a real hard time keeping one type of NLD plant alive due to what he reckoned was too dry a climate, the other plants were fine, but the tropical NLD was prone to drying up due to what he reckoned was acclimatisation to humid environment. I wonder if this is something similar, or maybe I have lost my skills after a long hiatus :)

aliceklar

Hi guys, not much new to report in regards to results..
The F2s so far have been really odd.
They all die on me. The males lasted long enough to give me pollen, but the F2s dry out and die, so the females haven't given me F3 seeds yet.
I wonder if it is genetic, as the environment seems to be the same as before, though these have been grown out in my veg room and the f1s were in the flower room, so lights and humidity might make a difference. I read here that one grower had a real hard time keeping one type of NLD plant alive due to what he reckoned was too dry a climate, the other plants were fine, but the tropical NLD was prone to drying up due to what he reckoned was acclimatisation to humid environment. I wonder if this is something similar, or maybe I have lost my skills after a long hiatus :)

How many seeds did you plant so far? I just tried a batch of tester F2 seed from my project and only got about 50% germination. Maybe there are some bad genetics segregating out? When you say "dry out and die", you literally mean they go crispy & dry? Maybe the lights arent enough to keep them going in flower? Sounds frustrating :(

teide

Veteran
To clarify, troutman, both the female and male f2s have died on me. The males have shed pollen before they shrivel, the females shriveled before they produced seeds.
I had some fungus gnats flying about in the little veg chamber. I wonder if their larvaes might have been the culprit.
I have disinfected the space and used different soil this time around. This might have solved it. The soil is very light this time around, almost void of nutrients. The previous soil had more nutrients and was kept more moist.
These f2s seem to be thriving in the new soil. They are the most broad leaf pheno I've seen so far.
At least these will make it. Here's hoping they will auto on me.

teide

Veteran
Yes, aliceklar, they literally dried out completely. A few changes in leaf color first, and then gradually drier leaves bottom to top.
Tried to identify the deficiency/bug/disease by comparing photos online, but not sure what to make of it.
I now suspect the soil and not genetics, as I also had two beautiful grinspoon hybrids that ultimately shriveled up in the same grow space. They had the same soil and fungus gnats flying about, so they all probably died from roots burned by nutes, choked in soggy soil, eaten by gnat larvae, or a combination of those.

romanoweed

lets hope its the Enviroment,! And soon we will see Autoflowering Cambodian hopefully! Not forgot this Thread,

teide

Veteran
Getting closer to flowering.
Leaves are thinning out a bit as well.

Attachments

• photo2118314.jpg
    photo2118314.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 38
  • photo2118315.jpg
    photo2118315.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts