What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

@Green - Buzzard's Hawaiian Hashbud

Anon-A-Moose

Hey @green. Angus @RSC gave me your name. I don't have enough posts to PM you, so I thought I'd hit you up here. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

I recently got some freebie seeds from Angus @RSC, called "Buzzard's Hawaiian Hashbud". I asked Angus about its history, and he said it was an Afghani Heirloom that was brought to Hawaii 30+ years ago, apparently by a guy called Buzzard. He indicated that it had never been crossed, and was still a pure Afghani.

If I wanted more info about this strain, He suggested I talk to green at icmag. I'm going to proceed as if you're the real @Green and pick your brain a bit.

Are you familiar with this strain? If you are, What are your thoughts about in general? How hard is it to grow, is it suitable for a n00b grower? Also, any growing info like flowering times, yield, and potency, along with any growing tips/tricks, please let me know.

If you aren't THE green, then I'm sorry to bother you, and for hijacking your thread. 🖖

Thanks.

BlackBart

Veteran
Dam I'm so pissed I missed this offering . I collect Hawaiian genetics and wanted to try this one out since Hawaiian indica's are so rare .

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
yeah Green is member here. grows in heart of Puna. I think he collected it from some hawaiian old fart..
The last old timer I talked to has been growing in Maui and Big island for 50 years. He said he didn’t have any of his earlier mex/lumbo lines. The only line he had been growing for the last 35 years was this acclimated Puna hashplant. Inbreeding it the whole time. He happily traded beans with me.

Anyways lots of interesting things grown in Puna...

p59teitel

Just started germinating my bonus Hawaiian Hashbud seeds (received 6 so there was a bonus to the bonus!). Does anyone here have any additional info on these? Curious to know what the "short season" description might mean in terms of finish time here in Massachusetts, among other things.

It's really great smoke! unfortunately I lost all mine aside from one nice female I had, the person I had take care of my seedling starts while I was on vacation messed up and let them die. I did however pollinate the one beauty I had with a nice deep chunk male. Got those seedlings going.

really killer mellow and relaxing stone, with slight euphoria. not an ass kicker, which I love.

BlackBart

Veteran
P59teitel I hope you will make copies of this cultivar and keep it going . If you ever want to do some trading please let me know . I'm up in Maine.

I have a old Hawaiian indica from 1980 that finish's the second week of Sep Bohi has done some work with it and made copies

p59teitel

Not having great luck germinating the Hashbud seeds; so far only one seed popped a decent root and the others cracked and then stalled - planted them all anyway, and hopefully something comes of it other than the one verrrrry slow seedling so far. Did go 5 for 5 with the RSC Balkhi, 4 for 5 with the RSC Waziri and 1 for 1 with a solo Afghan Kush seed I found in last year's grow, so the garden will not be completely barren.

ngakpa

Veteran
Had mixed reports of germination with the Buzzard's freebies from Green - some people had more joy than others

I hope people keep them pure - or at very least cross them to another pure Afghan like above

No sign of Green though, he seems to have vanished

musigny23

I can add that I had difficulty with the Buzzard's seeds. I think I tried two attempts with 6 to 8 seeds in total and from that I have one good seedling going. No complaint, they were free, but disappointing. I won't be able to produce fresh pure seeds even though a reproduction from a single male and single female would be less than ideal.

It probably made more sense to try them all, rather than hang on to 3 or 4 but I have a lot of other stuff going on.

p59teitel

The only one of six seeds (hey it was a freebie so not complaining). And what exactly that is, God only knows - quite the weird little sucker!

musigny23

Had mixed reports of germination with the Buzzard's freebies from Green - some people had more joy than others

I hope people keep them pure - or at very least cross them to another pure Afghan like above

No sign of Green though, he seems to have vanished

I hope that if someone did get a number of plants, that they make seeds and share some back to you.

ngakpa

Veteran
I hope that if someone did get a number of plants, that they make seeds and share some back to you.

some people reported getting around 50% germination

but they were freebies given away in iirc packs of 5 seeds, so who knows

fwiw, we had success resurrecting an Afghan heirloom from a batch of seeds bought in Amsterdam in 1990

the seeds were in long-term storage for 30 years

we've made them available under the name 'Afgaan 90'

we also insolated the BLD var. afghanica variants, and from the first test it seems they could well breed true

BlackBart

Veteran
I have some of the Afghan 90 going Angus There quite healthy . I will see if I can get some pictures up tomorrow . I also have some Balki going as well

I have some of Buzzards hashbud seeds germinating and hopefully will get a few .

BlackBart

Veteran
One Buzzards popped I'm hoping I can keep it going . Sometimes old seeds pop and the die out because there is not enough nutrient in the seed to keep it healthy .

ngakpa

Veteran
I have some of the Afghan 90 going Angus There quite healthy . I will see if I can get some pictures up tomorrow . I also have some Balki going as well

I have some of Buzzards hashbud seeds germinating and hopefully will get a few .

great - even if you can keep the Buzzard's going in some way by crossing it, that's better than nothing

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
collab’ed w/ Greens as he sent pollen so I could hit up the HI Citrus Molokai Kush cut......up and rockin’......

ganj on........

musigny23

great - even if you can keep the Buzzard's going in some way by crossing it, that's better than nothing

Ok, I'm still waiting for my one plant to sex, it's rather a slow grower despite appearing in good health. I have Tashkurgan and Neelum
valley going so depending on what the genders turn out to be, something can happen between them.

The Neelum valley plants appear to be potentially closely related, the Tashkurgans less so but still very broad leafed and dark green.

BlackBart

Veteran
Hood luck with that Mountain Nectar

I have two more seeds that have cracked . I'm hoping I can keep them going .

Latest posts

Latest posts