What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Durban poison 70's

Hempy McNoodle

Greetings All!

I was wondering if anyone has grown or has any experiences to share regarding Tropical Seed Co's Durban Poison 70's? I acquired some of these seeds and am very excited to grow them. Although it may be a year or two until I can get to them.

Hempy McNoodle

I'm under the impression that they are different, but I don't really know, either. The Tropical Seeds Durban 70s is supposed to have very thin leaves and somewhat narrow buds from the pics I've seen. I suspect Ace and Cannabiogen have the same genetics and Tropical's is different, but I'd like to know for sure, if anyone knows the back story here.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
They are not from the 70's, neither they are different... both Aeros from TSC and Nachillo from CBG received the same Durban Poison stock from African Herbman here in the past.

They did their own reproductions and selections of course, and released them, but it's the same source. And it's Durban bagseeds from early 2000s btw, but marketing, u know...

After TSC was sold and Aeros was no longer the leader the things changed a lot and went very commercial (incorporating trendy US hybrids, cbd gear, autoflowering strains, outsourcing the seeds, nice packaging and so on). After that and JGL also left, they didn't really have anyone talented or experiened doing the breeding.

I think the Durban 70s release happened after the company was sold. Aeros really had an interest on doing original breeding works according to his own ideas and interests, not just packing the catalogue with random stuff in fancy packaging that had nothing to do with how Tropical Seeds project started back then.

Original posts from African Herbman and his Durban:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1774176&postcount=22

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1713265&postcount=3500

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1696591&postcount=3463

TSC's Swazi and Congolese Black also came via African Herbman.

Original post from Aeros showing the Durban when he first grew it, he was the true talented grower behind the project.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3565945&postcount=566

Hope it helps.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Musta. How does the Afropips Durban Poison fit in here? It seems a bit sativa in structure for the ones I am running.

baduy

Very informative post as always Mustafunk.
Yesum I can see some similarities between Afropips DP and TSC DP. Looks like they both display a stouter, wider leaves purple pheno and a green one more sativa looking. Those CBG and TSC offerings have more of a tropical look and doubts have been raised about Afropips version being hybridized with WLD but it could be due to different selections

baduy

I've Grown CBG version and Afropips version. Had a poor experience with CBG, runts, bad germination and hermies, nothing but good things to say about Afropips version which is already a staple in my garden

I wood

I've Grown CBG version and Afropips version. Had a poor experience with CBG, runts, bad germination and hermies, nothing but good things to say about Afropips version which is already a staple in my garden

It seems I was luckier than i realised at the time when i got a keeper from the first seed from a canabiogen pack of Durban.
All sativa, finishes at about twelve weeks*, sexually stable, and most importantly pure energetic sativa buzz with no tiring crash.

* Flowered under 600 watt metal halide 11on/13off. I do tend to pick a week or two earlier than some to up the trippy and avoid the tiring aspects

Last edited:

baduy

Maybe I was the unlucky one then. Glad to learn there are some good plants to be found, when did you buy your pack? Mine was bought from CBG as soon as it was on sale on their boutique(early 2017 or late 2016)
Grow some more please not enough reports about that line.

I wood

Maybe I was the unlucky one then. Glad to learn there are some good plants to be found, when did you buy your pack? Mine was bought from CBG as soon as it was on sale on their boutique(early 2017 or late 2016)
Grow some more please not enough reports about that line.

Durban purchased through Ace in june 2018. It was from last few packs before they stopped stocking canabiogen.

Only sprouted two seeds to satisfy curiosity/need at the time.
Reproducing other things took over my plant count for the forseeable future. I am crossing it with whatever interesting males i come across in the meantime though.
It is my goto/get shit done daytime smoke.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Thanks Musta. How does the Afropips Durban Poison fit in here? It seems a bit sativa in structure for the ones I am running.

Hey man, I've had a few seeds of the Durban and Lesotho in the past and gave them to Jahgreenlabel years ago, who reported there were lots of hermies and it wasn't possible to reproduce anything.

I remember someone here who recently did a grow from the Afropips Durban and strangely found lots of compact and purple plants among them, so I wans't really impressed to be honest. It reminded me to a spanish fella who grew Afropip's Nigerian and found hybrid looking plants too. The Durban from African Herman looks much nicer. It kinda resembles to the most extreme phenos of the Ciskei that some people found. That's something if we keep in mind South Africa is packed with hybrids nowadays.

On the other hand I grew Afropips Malawi and Swazi and they looked very legit and interesting. I guess it really depends on the stocks. I remember that Afropips started selling UK made seeds duriong their latest years (or was that African Seeds?). Maybe they just run out of imported P1 seeds eventually and started to produce fresh seeds or even tried to cut flowering time and get more production to please growers...

:tiphat:

Last edited:

ahortator

Veteran
Hello Musta. Afropips was the bank which began to make their own seeds in UK. African Seeds were from South Africa, as far as I know.

About Durban or South African strains, recently they have legalized, or that's what they think because there are still fines and arrests by the police to the smokers or people they catch with some dagga, well most pics I can see are modern hybrid strains. They ask for the latest hit strains in the market and they buy those seeds. Sometimes you can see somebody growing sativa (NLD) looking plants but they actually don't know because they are bagseed of unknown origin.

Even I found a commercial grower who said he was from Zimbabwe but living and growing in Swaziland showing tiny little hybrids pics. Everyone were applauding him for the pics of a field covered of little plants not taller than a person knee and asking him for seeds. I told him about if he could get real landraces he could sell those seeds because they are very sought after. Short later he began to offer those seeds as landraces. I really got angry!

South African NLD were early flowering, so I don't understand why they have replaced them by those teeny weeny indicas with a far worse effects and lower yields. It is a nonsense.

A few days ago police busted some commercial growers here due to the strong smell of the plants. I don't know if it is due to the 5G or the glyphosate in the grain, but people have became really silly in these days.

baduy

Hey man, I haven't grown those personally... I've had a few seeds of the Durban and Lesotho in the past and gave them to Jahgreenlabel years ago, who reported there were lots of hermies and it wasn't possible to reproduce anything.

I remember someone here who recently did a grow from the Afropips Durban and strangely found lots of compact and purple plants among them, so I wans't really impressed to be honest. It reminded me to a spanish fella who grew Afropip's Nigerian and found hybrid looking plants too. The Durban from African Herman looks much nicer. It kinda resembles to the most extreme phenos of the Ciskei that some people found. That's something if we keep in mind South Africa is packed with hybrids nowadays.

On the other hand I grew Afropips Malawi and Swazi and they looked very legit and interesting. I guess it really depends on the stocks. I remember that Afropips started selling UK made seeds duriong their latest years (or was that African Seeds?). Maybe they just run out of imported P1 seeds eventually and started to produce fresh seeds or even tried to cut flowering time and get more production to please growers...

:tiphat:
One of my CBG Durban was a stout wide leaves plant even in flowering the other one was very tropical looking.

Hempy McNoodle

Just wanted to thank you all for your input. I'm so glad that I joined the ICMAG community. There is such a wealth of knowledge here! Part of why I like landrace Cannabis is because of the history and the stories behind the plants. You folks are awesome!

Rastafarout

Premium user
420giveaway
There's still pockets of pure sativas to be had in South Africa , but they are extremely rare and with the legalisation they will be gone
Transkei/ Lesotho has always been the the dagga stronghold of Southern Africa ..not the coast that's been a hippy haven for decades with all the backpacking spots. So those genetics were compromised decades before even Arjan tried his luck early 2000's

ahortator

Veteran
There's still pockets of pure sativas to be had in South Africa , but they are extremely rare and with the legalisation they will be gone
Transkei/ Lesotho has always been the the dagga stronghold of Southern Africa ..not the coast that's been a hippy haven for decades with all the backpacking spots. So those genetics were compromised decades before even Arjan tried his luck early 2000's

Hello.

After legalization?? in SA, I have seen many people there showing pics of their plants in FB groups. I was expecting a lot of unknown landrace bagseed grown there. Perhaps Durban Poison, weed from Pondoland, Ciskey, Transkei, Lesotho or even Malawi, Zimbabwe,...

But sadly most people there only grow modern hybrids, feminized seeds, autoflowering strains and even CBD. It is really amazing why they grow such expensive seeds when they used to have great heirloom NLD seeds far cheaper in the street buds until they have been replaced by modern Kush hybrid stuff. I found it pretty absurd but it is what is happening everywhere.

https://www.groundup.org.za/article/cash-crops-poisoned-pondoland/

Hey man, I haven't grown those personally... I've had a few seeds of the Durban and Lesotho in the past and gave them to Jahgreenlabel years ago, who reported there were lots of hermies and it wasn't possible to reproduce anything.

What a pity I would have paid for those hermie seeds as far as they were real NLD landraces. Believe me, you can get a better smoke from such fully seeded hemies than from any modern sinsemilla BLD. Leave aside CBD stuff :laughing:

Greetings :tiphat:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
been growing a Durban clone that's pretty nice.
picture.php

very terpinolene dominate.
picture.php

Rastafarout

Premium user
420giveaway
Hello.

After legalization?? in SA, I have seen many people there showing pics of their plants in FB groups. I was expecting a lot of unknown landrace bagseed grown there. Perhaps Durban Poison, weed from Pondoland, Ciskey, Transkei, Lesotho or even Malawi, Zimbabwe,...

But sadly most people there only grow modern hybrids, feminized seeds, autoflowering strains and even CBD. It is really amazing why they grow such expensive seeds when they used to have great heirloom NLD seeds far cheaper in the street buds until they have been replaced by modern Kush hybrid stuff. I found it pretty absurd but it is what is happening everywhere.

https://www.groundup.org.za/article/cash-crops-poisoned-pondoland/

What a pity I would have paid for those hermie seeds as far as they were real NLD landraces. Believe me, you can get a better smoke from such fully seeded hemies than from any modern sinsemilla BLD. Leave aside CBD stuff :laughing:

Greetings :tiphat:
Hey there ahortater, yeah after legalisation now even the deepest backwoods guy is going to get pollen contam from all the newcomers that were to damn shit scared to grow.
Everyone wants quick yielders that's where the cash and market is ...
That's been the trend for many years
Thing is these new varieties need plenty water and care( but that's another story)

bagseed in South Africa is the worst kind of seed lol, it's mostly the southern and eastern African vars all mixed with a good lot of Dutch in between and now the last few decades Californian too.

You have to know what you trying and then figure it out if you know the old school southern sativas
Everyone wants the stinky stuff with the body clout .. But mainly for yield = $$$
Most the people on FB are newcomers doing the hype cos they don't know better ...

Those places in the link have as it's said been sprayed since the 80's so they have been importing seed from Lesotho, South Africa , Swaziland
Also if you see that's where simon strainhunter is operating ( port St. John's) they hand out greenhouse hybrid seed like its Christmas ...

Latest posts

Latest posts