What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

authentic real durban poison?

grayeyes

Now you guys have me wondering. I bought some seed from a local. I bought SSH as a 12 week strain and it was. I also bought DP which I was told was a 14-16 week strain. Going to grow it this year and find out.

T_bone

TSC durban poison 70s special pack

Seems legit. Plenty of runts, low germination, but consistent appearance and growth patterns among the ones that have sprouted. Ultra thin leaves. Absolutely no smell to the plants (yet) besides "green grass" at 1 week flowering.

Pictured is a female at 2.5 months. Probably half a meter so far.

Attachments

• photo2071446.jpg
    photo2071446.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 77
  • photo2071447.jpg
    photo2071447.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 90
  • photo2071448.jpg
    photo2071448.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 85

grayeyes

I traded seeds for some Durban I haven't gotten around to growing. The guy I traded with had grown the seeds himself and let me know it takes at least 14 weeks in flower to mature. I used to think that was too long but after 21 weeks of my Malawi Gold I am starting to think it is doable.

grayeyes

Can someone give me a reasonable explanation why you would take such a nice landrace strain and pollute it with some indica crap? To me it is like taking a beautiful girl to the plastic surgeon so she can look like Donald Trump.

If you want quick results go to the dispensary and buy that instant crap. You know its crap but it is now, now, now. Just as you wanted.

I'm glad I have seeds that are the real 14 to 17 wk strain.

Last edited:

Rastafarout

Premium user
cannabiogen durban

cannabiogen durban

First two are the original seed plant grown under 600 watt metal halide 11/13 light to dark cycle. Second two are of clone currently growing in between 600 watt hps and mh in a 12/12 cycle.

last one is of dry untrimmed bud picked a bit early because that is the way i like this one.
That’s very similar DP to my Transkei , where most of DP came from , that’s why I say you can find a good DP in old Transkei seeds , check these photos of mine

Attachments

• 9BC4C991-A703-43BA-A30A-D33F7BCABC60.png
    9BC4C991-A703-43BA-A30A-D33F7BCABC60.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 61

ahortator

Veteran
Can someone give me a reasonable explanation why you would take such a nice landrace strain and pollute it with some indica crap? To me it is like taking a beautiful girl to the plastic surgeon so she can look like Donald Trump.

If you want quick results go to the dispensary and buy that instant crap. You know its crap but it is now, now, now. Just as you wanted.

I'm glad I have seeds that are the real 14 to 17 wk strain.
You are absolutely right!

Nannymouse

Well, most of the world isn't equatorial, for one reason that there were crosses. Another reason would be that back in 2000 and before, the lighting wasn't so great as we have now. I, too, love some of the pure sativas. But, i like hybrids, too. And some 'pure' indica.

Dunno why you guys have to rub everyone's noses in your superiority complexes. You would have 'known better' than the earlier breeders...that's what you are saying, right? You were around collecting and seed-making 'pre internet' and managed to keep everything 'pure', since then, right? If that's true, then let me know, i shall certainly apologize and bow to your ethical high standards.

Patting yourselves on the back for hindsight, in this case, would be rather insulting to those who got this ball rollin. But, i guess that was the point.

Rastafarout

Premium user
Lesotho , I should clarify he said all come from the same small area , so implying the the same ? If you look on the map you will see how close Lesotho /Transkei are sharing a border but different tribes and different selection criteria’s , different weather ect
166D23F2-A573-486D-937B-C21036D87637.png

Last edited:

ahortator

Veteran
Well, most of the world isn't equatorial, for one reason that there were crosses. Another reason would be that back in 2000 and before, the lighting wasn't so great as we have now. I, too, love some of the pure sativas. But, i like hybrids, too. And some 'pure' indica.

Dunno why you guys have to rub everyone's noses in your superiority complexes. You would have 'known better' than the earlier breeders...that's what you are saying, right? You were around collecting and seed-making 'pre internet' and managed to keep everything 'pure', since then, right? If that's true, then let me know, i shall certainly apologize and bow to your ethical high standards.

Patting yourselves on the back for hindsight, in this case, would be rather insulting to those who got this ball rollin. But, i guess that was the point.
My complaint is there are not many pure sativas available as most people may think. It is possible to get some but in most cases the price of the seeds is very expensive and not easily afordable. In some cases you realize that your wonderful sativa landrace or supossedly 100% sativa cross resembles more a common modern commercial hybrid than what you may expect, as some seedbanks are only well hyped scammers.

Of course most of the world is outside tropics. But it is a bit sad to realize that people living in tropical countries are currently growing overrated commercial tiny hybrids instead their wonderful sativas they tend to look down.

Due to that it is completely useless to travel to some zones or even whole countries looking for a good old sativa because you can only find the same modern hybrids you can get in your town. They may have still some unadulterated sativas, but it is very unlikely you will be so lucky to get them as even locals only get that weed rarely and in very limited suply.

A friend recently told me he got a very good hybrid that it is a Colombian Mangobiche x Critical Mass. Actually the cross adds nothing to the real pure Mangobiche as it grows very tall with a huge stretch, and the flowering time is almost as long as the pure one. It only dilutes the sativa type high of the real one.

In my country most people have never smoked a real sativa, only tons of completely devoided of any kind of psichoactivity Moroccan soap bar and Dutch hybrids as Super Skunk and Critical Mass. They got so used to such things they even feel scare of true sativas.

My point isn't ethical. It is only I preffer something it is dissapearing fastly.

Rastafarout

Premium user
@StickyBandit the only thing I would want to see is the pictures of the buds they said were lying round the house ? Why no photos of that ? I mean you would definitely take photos of buds that are allegedly 30yrs old …. I would .. so I take that story with a pinch of salt

Rastafarout

Premium user
@Far_out When I grow them out I'll post some pics. I'm keen to see now
Maybe they smoked some buds and forgot to take the pics :p
Nah I doubt it as he mentions he is a strain hunter so 🤷‍♂️ no Picts is strike one lol … it’s probably a Transkei as it looks like Transkei but that’s just my opinion .. very curious to see you grow them 🍿

Last edited: