What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Manipuri

B

Baron Greenback

Got a couple just started, they seem to be doing okay, I idiotically gave them nutrient too early so that set them back a bit. Flushed a lot and they look healthy again so fingers crossed.
I like the idea of them, straight out of the village into my polytunnel - nice.

Genghis Kush

Im surprised there are not more people trying these out.

North East India is at a genetic crossroads, between SE Asia, South Asia and North Asia.

Im very excited about seeing what I find in these

B

Baron Greenback

Me too, this sort of thing might be too unknown and unadvertised, it's not a huge seed breeder or anything.
I just want to try landrace where possible and this one sounded great.
Did you also not go for the other manipuri because it said commercial in the description?

Genghis Kush

The Ukhrul.

Yeah, that and the cheap price made me think that I would need to grow a lot them to find anything good.
But now Im wishing I had just grabbed them.

I got the Malana and Lebanese

B

Baron Greenback

All of them going in or just the manipuri? If these go well, I'll try others.
You going to do a grow diary?

Genghis Kush

probably just the Manipuri if I get it in time.

Im try to make some crosses with the female DP's Durban Poison's that I have.

Im presently growing out some Ot haze, Ot haze/thai, SOAs Malawi gold and to find males to make the crosses with.

I thought I'd order some more exotic sativas strains to add to the mix so I got these and also Double Jam, Sudafrica and Ghana from CBG's site.
I wont be able to start all of these this go round but if they get here quickly Ill start a few up to see.
Im doing this out door

Im hoping to use the Durban to shorten flowering time without disrupting the quality of the effects.

I agree north India is a point of genetic coalescence, I also feel Bhutan is a vital crossroads in this regard. Congratulations on the Manipuri, look forward to hearing your opinions and findings with the Malana and Lebanese.

Lesnah

Supposedly smells minty....makes me think of Keralan but they(meitei) claim Manipuri Ganjah is the strongest in all of India....I'll be glued to this grow as well.

B

Baron Greenback

Mine all died, absolutely everything got that damping off bollocks. Will try again next year.

Charles-scott

Veteran
:peacock:North India is a cross road for Cannabis genetics Amritsar north to the Pakistani boarder .
I found that the majority of the genetics in the region are sativa type much like those found in the South .
There is a serious cultural divide between Sikh the golden temple is nearby , Hindu and Muslim cultures , each has its own subculture of Cannabis and have there own strains .
Hashish of exquisite quality is produced in the region from very nice true Kush strain .
Much of what you will find in India would make you long for Mexican import lol .
Its really that bad the closer you get to Pakistan the better the quality of genetics you will find .
There is some decent hash made in India but nothing like the Awal Namber Garda .
These are a produced by small scale producers all over Pakistan it is cured in the Nut sack of a goat , it looks really dark shiny black and smells like peppery /Sandal wood like .
Much of the Smell of modern "kush" is from Pakistani Landraces not Afghani landraces .
I am certain that Chem Dog for example draws its roots to Pakistan excuse the pun .
Back to north India the best hash from that region I found is from the "happy hindu"
His family's hash is almost Moroccan like its screened and pressed without heat with a golden color and the smell of fruity kush .
Out of all my travel in the region the seeds from this Farm were the best example of true 100% Indica kush types .
I have a strain from Pakistan that look more like a Sativa / Indica hybrid its so Spicy smells like pink kush - Chem D just needs to be grown out and selected as they all have a few hermie issues
Manipur boarders Republic of the Union of Myanmar .
I have not been to Manipur however my Partner was there in the last 6-7 months .
I have to go I will come back :)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Southern India has no indiginous cannabis so everything one finds there originates in northen India. Once you get closer to Pakistan you also get more and more indica dominant plants, so higher potency is to be expected. According to Namkha this Manipuri strain is very potent as well, more so than Kerala for example. I hope that is not because of gene flow from indica hashplants. We shall see.

CoCoSativas

:peacock:North India is a cross road for Cannabis genetics Amritsar north to the Pakistani boarder .
I found that the majority of the genetics in the region are sativa type much like those found in the South .
There is a serious cultural divide between Sikh the golden temple is nearby , Hindu and Muslim cultures , each has its own subculture of Cannabis and have there own strains .
Hashish of exquisite quality is produced in the region from very nice true Kush strain .
Much of what you will find in India would make you long for Mexican import lol .
Its really that bad the closer you get to Pakistan the better the quality of genetics you will find .
There is some decent hash made in India but nothing like the Awal Namber Garda .
These are a produced by small scale producers all over Pakistan it is cured in the Nut sack of a goat , it looks really dark shiny black and smells like peppery /Sandal wood like .
Much of the Smell of modern "kush" is from Pakistani Landraces not Afghani landraces .
I am certain that Chem Dog for example draws its roots to Pakistan excuse the pun .
Back to north India the best hash from that region I found is from the "happy hindu"
His family's hash is almost Moroccan like its screened and pressed without heat with a golden color and the smell of fruity kush .
Out of all my travel in the region the seeds from this Farm were the best example of true 100% Indica kush types .
I have a strain from Pakistan that look more like a Sativa / Indica hybrid its so Spicy smells like pink kush - Chem D just needs to be grown out and selected as they all have a few hermie issues
Manipur boarders Republic of the Union of Myanmar .
I have not been to Manipur however my Partner was there in the last 6-7 months .
I have to go I will come back :)

Hash cured in the goats sack eh? Thats rough... Not surprised someone did it, but still rough. I wouldnt smoke that shit myself even if it was killer. Thats a little to much for me

Charles-scott

Veteran
Southern India has no indiginous cannabis so everything one finds there originates in northen India. Once you get closer to Pakistan you also get more and more indica dominant plants, so higher potency is to be expected. According to Namkha this Manipuri strain is very potent as well, more so than Kerala for example. I hope that is not because of gene flow from indica hashplants. We shall see.
Manipur is one of the few regions of India where there was major attempt to legalize cannabis production for Medical use , this effort was short lived .
I have not seen or grown this Manipur strain , however I have grown Burmese Genetics what we call Burmese in Canada and actual seeds from Republic of the Union of Myanmar .

There exists Indica genetics in the region I was once told that these were From Chinese nomadic tribes .
I traveled China and made several contacts and we have a drug cultivar from Yunan from 05 the Yunan is high in CBD some open pollinated plants produced numbers like 6% CBD and 7% THC the best were just under 10% THC and they were found in about 1 in 30 plants .
The strain smells varies from herb like woody smells to a fairly common plant that smells of blueberry / blackberry .
We found the seeds from Republic of the Union of Myanmar to be much like a hash plant /sativa hybrid .
We did not find the floral scents the Canadian "burmese" is known for , we never had them in the lab so I cant give Specifics but again my guess is the best were around 10-12% THC with no Special terpene profile .
I would not be surprised to learn that Manipur region has imported hybrids as there has been a effort to build a industry in Manipur .
I would really like to see pictures of the Manipuri if anyone can share some ?
Thanks Charles
pics are Golden temple kush AKA happy Hindu

Attachments

• GTK.jpg
    GTK.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 60
  • GTK2.jpg
    GTK2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 59

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Very insightful, I've heard of Burmese and Chinese indicas before but in my mind they're a separate genepool from the Kush type, they're not hashplants and probably not derived from hashplants. Thai and Laotian show this influence as well.

Only Ornamental posted this picture from Clarkes book, I think it shows the relatonships between different varieties pretty well.

attachment.php

Kush strains are an isolate and confined to a small area, it's crazy how widespead they have become since they were commercialized. Looking at the map I think it's very much a possibility that "Kush" is an ancient cross breed of Indian and Central Asian genetics, the short stature might have come from ruderalis and the wide leafs from chinensis but that is of course just speculation from my part. Chinensis however is a separate gene pool.

I can't post pictures of RSC Manipuri but I'll pm you the links. Lots of purples in them, did your Chinese and Burmese plants have that feature?

Latest posts

Latest posts