What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Info on The Real Seed Company?

Dentex

Kalamata

DSC_0386.JPG
DSC_0392.JPG

Mango Thai
DSC_0624.JPG

Lao Sa
DSC_0627.JPG

Lao Gold

DSC_0623.JPG

Dentex

I need a smoke report on the Kalamata.
I've smoked Kalamata when I was young .It was the trademark name for primo weed among others.It wasn't always the same .Some batches were lime green,some were reddish.Some were incensey ,some were piney.Some were laughing weed,some were trippy ones.Of course ,low tolerance back then played a big role.If I indulge it s not gonna be the same experience my wife will have who only partakes every few months or so.
I have seeds from the area (taygetos mountain ) but there is a huge possibility of dutch genes mostly in there.

Lebanizer

Well I did grow Kalamata Red last summer. A pack of five, 3 males 2 females. What can be said for sure about this plant is that it's not a Greek landrace by any stretch of the imagination, but then RSC does tag it as heirloom not landrace. The plant has "tropical" written all over it !. In one way or another, tropical genes are absolutely part of its makeup. It does have short internodes though. It's probably one of the following scenario:
  • Greek landrace x Tropical plant
  • Greek landrace x Tropical strain based western* hybrid
  • Pure western hybrid acclimatized to the Greek climate
Not only is it huge and has booming vigor, it also doesn't flower before equinoxe which pretty much says it all. You don't see much Levantine features in it, so...

As for the high, definitely an up sativa high but balanced and centered, floaty relaxed and warm. Definitely NOT a Panama sort of high. Mildy "mentally" trippy if no tolerance (which was my case) but not (sub)hallucinogenic per se. Aroma in veg and in bloom was very hashy and aromatic. I don't plan on repeating on short terms although it was a pleasant toke. I would glady use it if I was given some but not interested in growing it again. Good stuff but maybe lacking a bit of character by my standards (very inferior to Nanda Devi for instance). C+. Bear in mind though that's only my view and I only had two plants.

* ie American/Dutch hybrid.

Last edited:

RobFromTX

Dentex

that it's not a Greek landrace by any stretch of the imagination,
So what would a Greek landrace be like according to your book and what book is that ? :D
Landrace doesn't mean indigenous by default.

Same way Colombia landraces evolved from Africans .

From Wiki
"A landrace is a domesticated, locally adapted often traditional variety of a species of animal or plant that has developed over time, through adaptation to its natural and cultural environment of agriculture and pastoralism, and due to isolation from other populations of the species.Landraces are distinct from cultivars and from standard breeds.["

I'm not saying that it is a landrace for sure,but it definitely doesnt need imagination stretching to be assigned as such.Although could match the heirloom definition too.

Last edited:

GreenAndFast

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Does the smell live up to its name? I know thais can have some wild fruit aromas
It's certainly does my friend. Spicy, woody and most importantly mango-y haha. Sadly smoked the last of the original seed plant a few weeks back. Been in it's jar for 2.5 years and still great. But I still have the mother clone in a pot with a load of clones ready to go in pots. She takes forever to root from the clones but gets there in the end. It will always be with me I hope.

Well I did grow Kalamata Red last summer. A pack of five, 3 males 2 females. What can be said for sure about this plant is that it's not a Greek landrace by any stretch of the imagination, but then RSC does tag it as heirloom not landrace. The plant has "tropical" written all over it !. In one way or another, tropical genes are absolutely part of its makeup. It does have short internodes though. It's probably one of the following scenario:
  • Greek landrace x Tropical plant
  • Greek landrace x Tropical strain based western* hybrid
  • Pure western hybrid acclimatized to the Greek climate
Not only is it huge and has booming vigor, it also doesn't flower before equinoxe which pretty much says it all. You don't see much Levantine features in it, so...

As for the high, definitely an up sativa high but balanced and centered, floaty relaxed and warm. Definitely NOT a Panama sort of high. Mildy "mentally" trippy if no tolerance (which was my case) but not (sub)hallucinogenic per se. Aroma in veg and in bloom was very hashy and aromatic. I don't plan on repeating on short terms although it was a pleasant toke. I would glady use it if I was given some but not interested in growing it again. Good stuff but maybe lacking a bit of character by my standards (very inferior to Nanda Devi for instance). C+. Bear in mind though that's only my view and I only had two plants.

* ie American/Dutch hybrid.
“As for the high, definitely an up sativa high but balanced and centered, floaty relaxed and warm. Definitely NOT a Panama sort of high”
@Lebanizer do you find panama the oposite of it? I never try it, I know is very tropical and colombians and panameñas are electric, but whats your view on this?

Dentex

It's certainly does my friend. Spicy, woody and most importantly mango-y haha. Sadly smoked the last of the original seed plant a few weeks back. Been in it's jar for 2.5 years and still great. But I still have the mother clone in a pot with a load of clones ready to go in pots. She takes forever to root from the clones but gets there in the end. It will always be with me I hope.
Mine has a pretty acrid smell,somewhat sweaty/spicy...
Lao Sa is smelling lemonyish and the Lao Golds are more buttery with a touch of lemon.

colombians and panameñas are electric
Ace Panama is not electric,at least the vast majority.Colombians aren't really the choice for electric herb,they are more on the psychedelic side.Electric comes from SE Asians mostly.

Mine has a pretty acrid smell,somewhat sweaty/spicy...
Lao Sa is smelling lemonyish and the Lao Golds are more buttery with a touch of lemon.

Ace Panama is not electric,at least the vast majority.Colombians aren't really the choice for electric herb,they are more on the psychedelic side.Electric comes from SE Asians mostly.
Yeah Dentex, electric was a not an appropriate adjetive, you are right.

Lebanizer

So what would a Greek landrace be like according to your book and what book is that ?

:D
Given Greece's cannabis history and its geography that would be a hashplant that flowers before equinoxe. There are interesting offerings in the catalog now that possibly better fits the bill. I haven't tried them yet.
  • Cretan: this one doesn't sound very interesting to me as it seems very close to KR. It does have interesting properties though, the description makes it sound like an awesome no-fuss guerilla genetics. Maybe later.
  • Moliotiko: by its description it sounds closer to a genuine Greek landrace, notably its earlier harvest date suggesting it starts flowering before equinoxe. Unfortunately it's out of stock. Hopefully a repro will be run so we can have the opportunuity of trying it.
  • Arcadia: a new offering, that seems even more interesting because of its shorter build and early flowering time, exactly what would makes sense for a genuine Greek landrace.
You seem triggered or bothered by my questioning the Greek landrace character of KR. Are you Greek yourself ?

Dentex

Given Greece's cannabis history and its geography that would be a hashplant that flowers before equinoxe. There are interesting offerings in the catalog now that possibly better fits the bill. I haven't tried them yet.
  • Cretan: this one doesn't sound very interesting to me as it seems very close to KR. It does have interesting properties though, the description makes it sound like an awesome no-fuss guerilla genetics. Maybe later.
  • Moliotiko: by its description it sounds closer to a genuine Greek landrace, notably its earlier harvest date suggesting it starts flowering before equinoxe. Unfortunately it's out of stock. Hopefully a repro will be run so we can have the opportunuity of trying it.
  • Arcadia: a new offering, that seems even more interesting because of its shorter build and early flowering time, exactly what would makes sense for a genuine Greek landrace.
You seem triggered or bothered by my questioning the Greek landrace character of KR. Are you Greek yourself ?
Yes I am Greek and been living here forever .Sorry if I came out roughly,was not my intent.But speculation was too much man.I finish ohaze in greenhouse and can be finished outdoors too.It starts to flower in October... I have tried legit Greek weed for all my life and I am growing here,far northern than Kalamata.Also know that in Crete s climate you can grow anything tropical,period.

I do not know your growing experience but you sounded very deterministic on the matter,but what you say isn't totally accurate.there are /were plenty old lines around,not all have been hashplants.Maybe it s a line from later years.

I am not arguing, I am explaining my "triggering" .I had no intent to offend you:) I just post the way I talk and it can seem rude,I get it.
Peace.

revegeta666

Yes I am Greek and been living here forever .Sorry if I came out roughly,was not my intent.But speculation was too much man.I finish ohaze in greenhouse and can be finished outdoors too.It starts to flower in October... I have tried legit Greek weed for all my life and I am growing here,far northern than Kalamata.Also know that in Crete s climate you can grow anything tropical,period.

I do not know your growing experience but you sounded very deterministic on the matter,but what you say isn't totally accurate.there are /were plenty old lines around,not all have been hashplants.Maybe it s a line from later years.

I am not arguing, I am explaining my "triggering" .I had no intent to offend you:) I just post the way I talk and it can seem rude,I get it.
Peace.
Nothing rude about your answers mate (y) thanks for the explanations.

Lebanizer

How was the Nanda Devi better? What are some of your favs?
Nanda devi has a very special kick. I'd say that it has a lot of character. Many ways to describe it : upbeat, positive, benevolent, zingy. Stronger phenos can have a genuine mystical quality that makes it really stand out from the rest of the crowd. Potency varies because it's a hash plant but I don't care, the character is absolutely unique and is what I'm looking for.

Some of my favs ? Originally I'm a hashish person and still to this day I hold high grade Nepalese hash as the creme de la creme of cannabis : spacey, euphoric, slightly drunk with a mystical touch and subhallucinogenic effects. Aroma wise : velvet smooth woody incense. I'm a sucker for the Himalayan high because of its balanced character that just seems to fit my personnality. RSC original Nepalese release was very good too, I smoked it as bud so it felt like a coarser and lighter version of high grade Nepalese hash but very enjoyable: baked, lush body high and very trippy experience.

Good Lebanese hash is of course fantastic and high grade lemon scented Moroccan very nice.

ACE/CBG Panama was a blast but a bit too much for me. Extremely energetic and stimulating even manically exhilarating. It made me crazy in a fun way. Really good but I may be too old for that now :ROFLMAO:
Aroma was reminiscent of nepalese hash: velvet smooth incense with an extra touch of sage. Very nice too.

More recently I discovered ACE Ethiopian which essentially felt as I was expecting KR to be but wasn't. I've grown quite fond of this plant, it's a warm centered up sativa high with a the right touch of energy (Panama was too much).

Basically a balanced high between "warm blissed out effects" and "minor psychedelic/trippy/subhallucinogenic effects to make it interesting" is my fav. Too psychedelic isn't good for me because I'm prone to anxiety and too stimulating/energetic, well I'm too old for that.