What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Philippines Sagada

Olifant

Very nice thread. Sagada is an easy place for tourists to buy cannabis. Cannabis use isn't traditional to the Philippines witg most of the older genes being brought by peace corps volunteers from Cartagena in the 70's as well as a few very successful attempts at commercial production in the days of Americans traveling to find sweet spots for high quality imports. This looks like a nice line of Colombian origin.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Hey guys... sorry I didn't updated a lot since then, I haven't seen much movement around here either. To be honest I still have the best colas curing, slowly, there is no rush. I will test them this summer in a more detailed fashion.

I smoked a few tops and bits from he seeded buds and I wasn't super impressed, or maybe they simply weren't up to my expectatives. So far the effect was quite mild and not even close from the SE Asian sativa racy and trippy no ceiling effect I was expecting from them. The smoke was still very enjoyable and positive, with a really nice and different fruity and floral smell, yet pungent on the nose. When we sampled the buds I've found this plant to have a zen-style of high. Smiley, relaxed, enjoyable, peaceful, good vibes ganja. Warm and mild effect both on the head and the body, never overpowering or uncontrolable like some strong electric sativas. The other day I was smoking some Angolese/Thai after some months of curing and it was racy as shit, a bit paranoia inducing hide-in-the-closet type of herb lol. I need to find time to run a big F2 selection and maybe find some really nice phenos that are more enjoyable and balanced in terms of smoking. They need to be more easy going with the smokers, although I pretty much like that pure caffeine-stamina feeling!

Apparently the other guys who smoked the Philippines Sagada agreed with this, so I guess it could be the strain's very own character, a true zen strain. I think it still needs to be fully grown and understood in order to be able to retain and preserve its best qualities but now this is the breeder's task, I'll move on into the next preservation project as soon as I have the time and space. There are a few seeds, not many as most the plants were throwing nanners and pistils, this is a problem because I feel this line has the hermie trait deep inside the genes!

Hope someone else will take them into the next level... cleaning up the line and discarding the bad plants should be the priority in order to make the most of it. I shared a few already and I'll be happy to share more with other landrace enthusiasts and preservationists, so the strain can keep rolling.

As soon as I have some time i'll update some pictures of the cured buds and more detailed report.

Vibes!

Last edited:

Gelado`

Veteran
Musta, that sounds like the Vietnamese I was telling you about--some have speculated that Filipino strains were brought over from Vietnam in the 60s and 70s. I actually prefer the zen-like high to anything else...the racy Thai stuff leaves me unable to interact because of all the stuff that's going on in my head! LOL. I suppose there is a time and place for both kinds of high though. ;)

thxcannabis

Nice job, thanks for the update. Would love for some of the seed vendors to carry the Sagada/Kalinga genetics but I assume it is not stable enough to vend. Hope a stable pheno will emerge one day. I smoked a lot of these flowers back in the late 70's in Sagada and really enjoyed the flavor.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Some pictures of the finished top buds, not superb quality pics but enough to get an idea about how this philippino sinsemilla ended:

La Reine de Manille (though this was more like the Queen of Sagada) lol:
P1050479.jpg

Tiny calyxes but still a nice amount of trichomes:
P1050484.jpg

It's a shame that overall, the strain lacks a bit of potency but I'm happy with the result though, the smell was special indeed and very refreshing. It's a beautiful strain and with a bit of selection I'm sure that nice females with breeding potential may appear. I guess can't really expect much more from an untamed landrace strain like this. Now let's keep exploring...

Vibes.

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Thanks for the exploration.
Have you ever came back to those buds again? ;)

Vnsmkr

Have a friend here in his 60's which also says Vietnamese was carried over to Phili from Saigon and to me this looks exactly like some VN I grew last year from S. VN, Mekong Delta. Same friend has been travelling to Phili for ages and will do so again around harvest '16 to collect beans; currenlty in nepal harvest time collecting.

Vnsmkr

Accd to him, the Phili farmer which has had these growing since early 70's says they came from VN. Possibly there are mixes of Vn and Thai inbreeding with Phili Sats...

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Accd to him, the Phili farmer which has had these growing since early 70's says they came from VN. Possibly there are mixes of Vn and Thai inbreeding with Phili Sats...

Yeah probably man... i've read and was told plenty times that most VN weed was grown and imported from Cambodia, just in a similar way as weed sold in Thailand is most likely grown in Lao.

Unfortunately most of those heirloom sats are probably gone nowadays. At least in their places of origin. I don't know much about ganja farmers in Philippines but maybe there can be still found nice strains deep inside the mountains.

Hopefully your friend has preserved those nice strains since then.

Vibes.

hazelover

Some of the really nice strains in the Luzon the purple moroc landrace were brought from Morocco many years ago by a swiss guy who liked them to make hash
the good hash there is more Moroccan then the hash you can buy there now.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Some of the really nice strains in the Luzon the purple moroc landrace were brought from Morocco many years ago by a swiss guy who liked them to make hash
the good hash there is more Moroccan then the hash you can buy there now.

When did this happen if you had to guess? The Sagada was collected sometime in the mid nineties, if I'm not mistaken?

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
When did this happen if you had to guess? The Sagada was collected sometime in the mid nineties, if I'm not mistaken?

Yeah, a local philippino grower looking for new genetics traded them at Overgrow forums. I also remember the Dalat, Vietnam Black and many others.... the good old times! ;)

hazelover

I think its more the early 80s when the oil started news strain were brought for oil and hash production by a well known swiss guy.

Vnsmkr

Unfortunately he has not, but he makes frequent trips to the mtns there and will do some pheno hunting later this year. He has some decent farmer contacts there so maybe we'll find something worth utilizing in a cross

Latest posts

Latest posts