What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vietnamese Cannabis Seeds

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Are there any pure Vietnamese cannabis seeds available? Without sounding flippant or disrespectful, I'm looking for the kind GI's would have smoked in the '60s.

Vietnam Black is not available from ACE Seeds, only Vietnam Black x Thai, and Orient Express (Vietnam Black x China Yunnan).

The Spice Brothers seem to be very hard to find a reputable seed seller for. They used to have Viet Combo Vietnamese x Vietnamese Black.

So my in my quest for the greatest landrace seeds of old, I would love to get a legit source for old time landrace Vietnamese cannabis seeds. Let alone ones with good growth characteristics.

Also, I imagine there is a difference between the Mekong Delta/Saigon area strains, and that the Highland seeds are going to be more like the Cambodian and Thai areas they border? Those seem to be plentiful (although not any specifically Vietnamese ones).

So I guess my questions would be:

1) Are there still good outlets for the Spice Brothers seeds?
2) Is Reeferman's Hoa Bac (Silver Leaf) - Vietnamese Mindfuck still available somewhere?
3) Is there anyone else who has landrace Vietnamese seeds?

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
As far as I know, not vietnamese landraces available but plenty SEAsian strains, both pure form and hyrbids.

I'm sure the Vietnam weed will be pretty similar to the one in Laos, Thailand and the whole emerald triangle area.

GN Thai Stick and Luang Prabang come to mind now and are available to buy and many other thai and shouth asian landraces were available lately like Mango Thai and Red Thai from Isaan, Highland Lao, Highland Thai.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
As far as I know, not vietnamese landraces available but plenty SEAsian strains, both pure form and hyrbids.

I'm sure the Vietnam weed will be pretty similar to the one in Laos, Thailand and the whole emerald triangle area.

GN Thai Stick and Luang Prabang come to mind now and are available to buy and many other thai and shouth asian landraces were available lately like Mango Thai and Red Thai from Isaan, Highland Lao, Highland Thai.
You are right, there are a lot of SE Asian strains around, mainly Thai, and a few Cambodian and Laotian.

However, I'm really intrigued about original Vietnamese weed. Maybe there are people who go on holiday to Vietnam who can send some back or have given some to seed breeders?

Samson4

Veteran
Green Hornet used to have Vietnam Tourist Hemp seeds. I don't know how helpful that is.

idiit

Veteran
hoa boc don't pop! one of reeferman's epic fails. great strain description, 0 germ rates.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Green Hornet used to have Vietnam Tourist Hemp seeds. I don't know how helpful that is.
I hope someone can locate the Green Hornet, because their Vietnam Tourist Hemp sounds great.

There was also Nam Black from Dutch Flowers, but it is hard to find their seedbank online too, only a coffeeshop in Amsterdam by the same name, so I've e-mailed them.

UPDATE (10/02/2012): The Dutch Flowers coffeeshop's e-mail just bounced, so no luck there.

Last edited:
S

sativagrower87

As i know Dutch Flowers not exist anymore and probably Green Hornet... and yeah reef`s hoa bac has some shitty germ rates. There is also Viet Black from Billy Goat but i think its sold out everywhere right now so you have to wait for the new stock. Been looking for viet black for myself but no luck so far. :shucks:

waveguide

Veteran
i'd like a pair of pf flyers grounders as well.

i'd love to see spice bros again.. i think they went under.

grew out their lieu hanh 99, lieu hanh being neville's haze x viet. black. veg had a great food odor like you could have eaten it straight. big, dark leaves the size of a dinner plate (that's a quarter).

had beautiful, heavy buds and habit. nice stuff, not the most potent. one pheno gave me a bit of a headache which was unusual. but beautiful, sweet plants a pleasure to grow.. would have loved the opportunity to breed them but things happened.

Attachments

• 137.6 KB · Views: 160
  • lh2.jpg
    lh2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 116
  • lh3.jpg
    lh3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 108

sso

Veteran
i went to north vietnam 2 years ago, got some seeds, amazingly difficult to pop.

ive gotten 2 plants from 30 seeds, got about 20 left.

even the leaves are quite smokable and delicious, its a trippy weed to boot. seeing lovely colors in shadows and shit.

if you are into vietnam, id just go there.

fantastically beautiful country, very friendly people, everything is Dirtcheap. (200 bucks for a whole month ina nice hotel. 100 bucks for the food.)

and all the vietnamese weed has alot of stems and seeds in each bag.

(10 bucks per bag.)

though personally id make some friends before i tried to buy and id probably go to the south of vietnam, they are more relaxed there.

(cops in vietnam are rather brutal, cant afford jails, so they use fists (deportation for tourists.))

(and seeming alot of people where i was in vietnam, say the weed there makes you nuts, its..somewhat true. :D)

DemonPigeon

Veteran
:bump:

Here's my Ace VB*T

Seems like even the hybrids are becoming less available, having tried the Ace Thai hybrid I'm curious about the original again.

Is anywhere likely to do a purebred or even selfed release?
:prettyplease:

DemonPigeon

Veteran
I'm pretty sure I have a friend traveling in nam right now as well. I'll see what I can do.

That sounds very promising :biggrin:

I'd love to go travelling and post a load of small seed packets back home (seeds can be posted into the UK legally assuming they get out of customs in the country they start off in) but I just don't have the money :-( maybe in the future some time :)

I'll check that site aswell :) thanks :)

Those Dalat plants look awesome :-o almost feral :-D

20 weeks would be a new record for me, my current sativa is 6 weeks in with at least 7 left to go :)

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Is the 76' Thai stick easily available? Does it share much common lineage with Vietnam landraces?

Vietnam Black would really be the ideal but any other new source of genes is good too :-D

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
"Some of a friends stash who did time in Nam early 1971-1972, a Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodian Funky Thai.
Master Thai's "76 Thai" has a respectable flower time and is stable for Indoors too. Does very well in a vented Greenhouse, or humid outdoor locations,loves the chicken poo & seaweed.
For the outdoors, Master Thai suggest Grasshopper to start as early January to succeed with outdoor weather and how it affects flowering time, outdoors this plant can go as far in flowering as to the end of Oct. & known too also maybe the end of the first week of November.
Not suggested for outdoors above the 32 parallel without a greenhouse.
The is the Classic Thai Stick Thai from 1976, a 100% Asian Beauty.

Flowering: 65-75 days
Xlnt head stash
for the skilled grower/breeder."

And there is another one: Wild Thailand

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Found his site, I'm in the UK so I'm not an "approved medical grower or collective" do these guys still sell seeds outside the US?

Thanks for the info :)

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
You mean Masterthai?

Yes you can get his Seeds from a european seed auction site ;)