What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Ah yes the "jurassic dinosaur jungle food Lao" collected by Bodhi. That one is much better documented than most other SE Asian strains out there and it's very likely to have some Chinese blood. Very different from the green Thais.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Those not in the know might think it's an indica. Pic from RC Colas

Attachments

• picture.php?albumid=67436&pictureid=1602213&thumb=1.jpg
    picture.php?albumid=67436&pictureid=1602213&thumb=1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 32

romanoweed

I stick with it: OLD Thai, Viet, any SEAsian are very colorful.
The Chinese Ancestry in "Muang Sing Lao" is only speculation i thought.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
It's not very far fetched considering where Muang Sing is situated. It's pretty much squeezed in between Burma and China. This isn't traditional ganja territory but Chinese hemp is grown for fibers and food. Sure purple traits are well spread among Thai and Lao strains but none of the strains originate there as afaik there are no indigenous weeds to select from. It all came from some place else. In this case, very likely China.
fetch?photoid=17801310.jpg

musigny23

Last year I grew a RSC "Mango Thai" from a November 2019 order said to be sourced directly from northern central Laos. I also grew the "Muang Sing" from Khalifa Genetics that is offered at the ACE website. Not an Ace strain, just sold on their site. This was originally said to be collected by Bohdi 6 or 7 years ago. It apparently passed from Bodhi to Mitseedco and Khalifa. They reproduced it and did some selection. It isn't clear how many generations of it happened but it seems like it must be several at a minimum.

These two completely different unrelated suppliers had the same strain. The plants were clearly of the same origin. Same leaves, same branching, same growth etc. However there was a clear difference between them in my garden. The RSC version that was direct from farmer fields in Laos was more healthy and vigorous. The other was more delicate and sensitive. That difference was clear and distinct.

These plants did not resemble any other Thai/Lao plant types I've grown. Their leaves were broader, their stems were much thicker and their structure had fewer branches and less symmetry. As they flowered the branches stretched and the leaves got smaller and narrower. The start of flowering was quite late and the pace was slow. The flowers were not full and dense but lean and sparse. Mine did turn purple and had a very citrus fruit sort of smell, I guess you could call mangoish. The high was definitely strong. The yield was low. I'm sure I didn't get their full potential as they went so late that cold temps really slowed their flowering. That was a factor in reducing the yield.

As I mentioned they did not resemble other Thai Lao types, they were sourced from a non cannabis known area and from tribes that don't normally grow drug cannabis for their own use. From my limited experience they looked a lot like central Himalaya types I've grown like Parvati and Nepalese. Considering that the tribes are recruited to grow for Thai syndicates, I wondered whether Himalayan seeds might have been brought in and supplied to them or mixed with Chinese Yunnan types.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Why is it Likely from Chinese Geenes? Cause it grows fatleaved, ANYWAY.

Chinese, as I mean it here is an umbrella term for broad leaf hemp plants from the north of Burma, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. That's where Asian hemp is grown and it originates in China. If they are growing broad leaf hemp in the area it's more than likely that these genes would be present in the local ganja landrace if there is one.

It's not just the width of the leaves but the overall structure (robust) and coloration that are reminescent of Yunnanese plants. I've grown them.

But if it really is the same strain as RSCs Mango Thai then it must be genetics supplied from elsewhere. Muang Sing isn't traditional ganja country so that's very much a possibility.

But Nepalese? I think someone got their Chiang Mai seeds tested on Phylos and they came out as Nepalese. Go figure. I still think the wide leaf trait is "local" and not a sign of western genetics.

romanoweed

Yeah, and when a Chinese Strain is taken further South, to North Laos it becomes North Laos over Time trough Adaption. Not claiming that such a shortly adapted Strain would then BE Laos.. Just slightly lao-ized. And with it logically Un-china-ized. haha.
So, what is it now, is it likely not adapted, or long adapted?

Also, could derivered from Thai-Stick , then adapted to n. Laos. Hence the similarity to Chineese.
Can you imagine there are fat or shortflowering non-hempy Strains from north Laos. I think its possible, and i dint find enough Info wether NorthLaos Northvietnam ONLY grew Chineese. So, could it also have non-chineese Makeup in the Genes? Is/was the north Laos Marihuana free?

Amount of Hemp is not the only factor for likelyness. Its also who collected it. A ganjasmoker might automatically make a bow around any hemp. Aswell as the Vendors, and Cannacomunity.
Effect tells same Story. It could also be Thai, or just one of the rarer Lao-collected-Marihuana-Lines .

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Here's my purple highland Laotian from the Annamite mountains close to Vietnam

Click image for larger version  Name:	vietlao.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.7 KB ID:	17805701

It was a bit hot in it's new soil but is growing normally now and starting to show that familiar leaf shape. I'm pretty excited about this plant! It's one of the earlier strains sold by the RSC some 10+ years ago and was called Viet-Lao. Not many reports out there but Angus recalls the bud as being dark purple to almost black in color with a very heavy/heady high. "Stupefying and tripped out." That's not a common description for SE Asian strains so this should be an interesting plant to breed with.

The description still shows up in the search at the other forum:

Pure Southeast Asian Ganja Plant Latitude: 20°N Regional Maturation: December to early February Height: 3m - 5m Aroma: elderflower, musky, light alcohol-like scents (?) Characteristics: extreme 'sativa', loose leafy buds, very heady high

I want to keep this one around in seed form so I'll self it if it's a female but I'm also in search of a suitable mate.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I'm intrigued as well! She showed female yesterday and I think I have her pretty well under control. I bent her down a couple of weeks ago to get some side branching. Growth has been slow so far but I think she is about to blow up soon.

vietla.jpg

The stems look a little unusual being very rounded and shiny. Very long petioles too.

vietla2.jpg

Attachments

• vietla.jpg
    vietla.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 28

sunlite

It is late for me and I just found this thread so have only read the first and last pages. Will read the rest tomorrow. Any advice about pollinating two RSC Mango Thais with two male Super Laos Haze males from Bushman. Out of three Thais one was a too tall male, so he got culled, then out of three SL Haze, two are males and one is female. I'm going to make seeds of the pure Super Laos haze but wonder if it might be a good cross of SLH to Mango Thai.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Here she is now. Did I actually say I have her under control? From this angle you can see she'll probably fill the whole box in the coming months and I neclected training her for the last couple of weeks... She is not alone there, I just took everything out for cleaning day so things are getting veeery crammed here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	laotian.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.8 KB ID:	17836262

I have to admit I wouldn't think 'pure sativa' from the way she looks and she looks nothing like a Thai. Could be pure Laotian though so we'll see this through anyway. I've given up judging strains by their appearances.

That lower stem is the main stem btw. I haven't topped her, just bending.

Mallitlahuani

Here she is now. Did I actually say I have her under control? From this angle you can see she'll probably fill the whole box in the coming months and I neclected training her for the last couple of weeks... She is not alone there, I just took everything out for cleaning day so things are getting veeery crammed here.

I have to admit I wouldn't think 'pure sativa' from the way she looks and she looks nothing like a Thai. Could be pure Laotian though so we'll see this through anyway. I've given up judging strains by their appearances.

That lower stem is the main stem btw. I haven't topped her, just bending.

Looks like a very nice plant, what are the stem rub smells?, I've noticed that when sativas are grown indoors they don't express they're leaf the same it always looks wider.

Perhaps is has to to with UV light I'm not sure

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Looks like a very nice plant, what are the stem rub smells?, I've noticed that when sativas are grown indoors they don't express they're leaf the same it always looks wider.

Perhaps is has to to with UV light I'm not sure

Thanks! I was trying to figure out the stem smells today. It's definitely a new smell. All I could come up with was radish. It's not that though, but something similarly earthy.

Outdoor does tend to come out looking more narrow leaved. Could be intensity related or spectrum. I got a new lamp (Mars hydro 600) a couple of weeks ago and you can see change in spectrum from the pics. They look more blue now. You also mentioned UV which I also started giving sporadically about two weeks ago.

Latest posts

Latest posts