What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

need4weed

Veteran
Not sure i got what your calling buddha ,
other than what got called buddha sticks and the golden buddha which came after the sticks for us ,
its a big place , so folks likely didnt get the same stuff or at the same time i imagine ..

when you say gold seal and red seal hash ,
is that the stamp , or what it was wrapped in ??

we had lots of black hash with a golden stamp wrapped in red cellophane where i lived , seemed to be a massive amount of it , but that was also after the thai sticks where i was ,
what we typically saw was greenery in the summer and hash in the winter ,
i preferred it when they overlapped and i could mix the hash with the weed ..

as far as i know Melbourne seemed to have more hash than any other city in Australia ,
im assuming it landed there ...

Probably not clear in what I was saying. I was very young and only got in the canna scene at the tail end of thai stcks. Not long after I started smoking hash. A friend of mine dad was a bit shady, he used to have bricks of hash, (assuming 1kg) hidden in his bedroom. Different types over the years. Gold stamp on clear packaging and others like you say wrapped in a red cellophane. We used to wait until it had been unwrapped and we'd shave chunks off and sell it for a pretty penny. We were seeing import that was referred to as buddah, brown seeded crap just before the indoor explosion. Around 1988 if I remember correctly. All the import came to a grinding halt

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Was the seeded thai compressed or loose ??

i liked the hash in the red cellophane , while it wasnt ultra strong ,
it was quite tasty and as i mentioned mixed really well with greenery ,

we were lucky to see those days , i know theres some good weed around now and some homemade hash can be uber potent ,

but there was something special about the stuff we had back then that seems to be missing in todays stuff .

djav59

Back to Thai though I see very few posts on pure Thai strains .
Is this because of length of grow time and achieved results or something else ?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i think u could still get it in some parts of thailand, laos , cambodia, burma etc

its just not readily exported as it once was ,
and not as much grown as a result..

whats ironic is the country that stopped all that ,

now has it legalized in over 20 of their states ... lol ..

djav59

Well I did notice a joint venture in the country for CBD which the King approved of.
If that's a start but it appears they are doing the same thing ass everyone else looking for strains which are most likely gone?

djav59

My findings thus far as not promising the strain I grew out has turned out to be disappointing from what I have read and reading the extreme time and difficulty of these plants make them unusable . My best effort has not yielded anything impressive to even entertain continuation with the strain.

Stocktont

Veteran
Which “strains” are gone? Old thai sticks? Yea I haven't seen weed wrapped around sticks for a long time but there's still south east asian types being grown and seeds made each year and sown again. Things change and the weed with it same as things changed in both America and in Amsterdam. Some of the old names are not the same today as they were a long time ago but I think it's only natural right. I think though that most of the old landrace types are more like they used to be than the indoor hybrids are today compared to say the 90s. At the end of the 90s things changed in Amsterdam and the seeds are not what they used to be. It's hard finding some of those old memories in seeds these days but I think you'll have better luck trying within a landrace population. There's still plants being grown in south east asia that will blow you away. Not all commercial weed is as good as the best memories but some batches are pretty damn good still.

Sadly it seems that this region is doing the same kind of thing that the new legal american regions are doing, a slight push towards the corporate side rather than making it “legal” as we all dreamt of where everyone could grow their own plants. I think this is what is happening in these parts (Asia) with any kind of legalization. It's not going to be every mans dream but a few corporations wet dream which is sad from an aficionado perspective. That is what I see at the moment, a few legal farms that produce for companies, not every farmer being able to plant fields of ganja which would be my wet dream.

djav59

Well Thai sticks were a good reference point I do realize the past is gone but one tends to think that with all the growing going on there would be some supreme offerings .
But the more I see the more I realize that's not the case.

djav59

Out of the six strains I have or am growing out in past 2 years the only thing showing any real promise is Malawi .
Everything else requires work or tuning to say the least .

Stocktont

Veteran
Out of the six strains I have or am growing out in past 2 years the only thing showing any real promise is Malawi .
Everything else requires work or tuning to say the least .

Yes I think the export/import thing changed the most and some people seem to get their seed stock from imported or even domesticated varieties. I think even DJ Short got most of his south east asian stock from America, some grown there for at least a generation. It's hard knowing what you get buying seed bank varieties and I would also think that things like Thai could do with a bit more selection than regular indoor lines if grown indoors. I never tried a south east asian (pure) from any seed bank so I don't know. There are still varieties here that have been grown here for a long time still being grown but it's not the same commercial scale and most of the commercial moved to other regions and countries, even most commercial being sold in this country. There's just something magical that happens when it gets to grow in its natural environment.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Kilos of thai sticks from 1974 in Udonthani , @ $3 us a kilo ...

those were the days clearly ..

picture.php

Stocktont

Veteran
@ngakpa beautiful plant there!

@Donald Mallard I wish I could say that but I never saw those days hehe, too young but sure looks like a fair bit of sticks!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
@ngakpa beautiful plant there!

@Donald Mallard I wish I could say that but I never saw those days hehe, too young but sure looks like a fair bit of sticks!
i would love to have gone to thailand during that era stocktont,
what a cool place it must have been ,

i used to watch heaps of old thai movies with my ex wife ,

one was a very old black and white , footage from the 50 s ,

along a canal in, of all places' Bangkok ,

it was like a paradise , palms everywhere ,

she told me we have been to that very place ,, its under the overpasses in quite a slummy looking spot where i wanted to check out a plant nursery ,

amazing and sad how much places change for what is sometimes referred to as "progress" ...

Stocktont

Veteran
i would love to have gone to thailand during that era stocktont,
what a cool place it must have been ,

i used to watch heaps of old thai movies with my ex wife ,

one was a very old black and white , footage from the 50 s ,

along a canal in, of all places' Bangkok ,

it was like a paradise , palms everywhere ,

she told me we have been to that very place ,, its under the overpasses in quite a slummy looking spot where i wanted to check out a plant nursery ,

amazing and sad how much places change for what is sometimes referred to as "progress" ...

Yea things change everywhere unfortunately some times but that's what the Buddha said right, the only constant is change. There's a few places that were like paradise in the 70s and even 80s but are now so commercial that some people can't recognize them anymore. I met a guy while living on one island in particular that has had a lot of that “progress” with hotels and shops and bars and whatnot. He said he rented a motorcycle in the early 80s and went around the island and then he had come back in like 2015 to do the same thing. He was horrified.

The old country is still there but it's almost covered in this new commercial thing. In some places it's even hard to find nice people as everyone wants to make money and quick where it used to be much more chill.

I live in a much more rural place now which is kind of cool but there's still Tesco stores and seven-11 shops everywhere even here. But still some of those old mom and pop stores that will sell you a beer even if it's during the hours of the day you're not supposed to sell it.

Wonder what is going to happen after this covid thing with places that were riddled with tourists. There's a lot of people that worked with tourists in different capacities that are now out of work and maybe went back to their home provinces and there's a shit load of hotels and restaurants that are just empty now. They're talking about opening up but they're not letting anyone in the country so I don't really see it going back to the new “normal” anytime soon.

djav59

My findings thus far as not promising the strain I grew out has turned out to be disappointing from what I have read and reading the extreme time and difficulty of these plants make them unusable . My best effort has not yielded anything impressive to even entertain continuation with the strain.
Ok maybe I am wrong .
I am just old and cranky plus the work of hauling these baby's in and out is a strain but ,I see that it does indeed take time for full development.Its amazing how the terpene profile changes all along I do appreciate the plant plus the fact I was able to get results at all and with out hermaphrodites .
I need a greenhouse .

smogo

Kilos of thai sticks from 1974 in Udonthani , @ $3 us a kilo ...

those were the days clearly ..

View Image

This stuff still exists! Or similar. It's mostly in isolated/specific places in SE Asia. Maybe it's not THE Thai stick but it's pretty damn close - unbelievably trippy high, almost acid like. Sticky as fuck and smells spicey/earthy, deep and expansive thoughts etc...

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
yes its in thailand too , apparently coming from Laos,

but its not quite as well grown or prepared or presented as it once was ,

still it can make u trip out a bit ,

batches vary in quality in thailand though ,
yours looks good smogo ..

Latest posts

Latest posts