What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

Thighland

im friends with a girl who sells seed in thailand ,
she seems to have her shit together pretty good ,
im always impressed with the stuff she posts ,
breeding fish , chickens , plants etc ,
seems to have a good grasp of stuff ...

here are some pictures of some laos plants she sells seed of ,
look bloody awesome if i do say so ,
of course they are growing in excellent conditions ,
but still impressive how little leaf and how foxy those flowers look ..

View attachment 18728940
View attachment 18728941
I showed those pics to a licensed grower here saying I'd never seen outdoor with so little leaf. He was not impressed at all and said it was seeded. I've encouraged him to seed collect, but he says it's pointless. The attitude that it must be indoor and imported is very set with young ppl here.

Thighland

If i was looking for genetics in Thailand the ones i would be asking would be the older farmers.

I would also be telling them just how important those genetics are and how they need to be protected from greedy big Canna.

Andy (rip) told me there was still good old school Thai genetics around but most of the commercial lots being sold did not represent that.

Thais have a long history with cannabis and i dont think an important plant like cannabis would be allowed to just vanish.

Growing tight chunky flowering lines in hot humid environments normally equals failure.
I've been talking to locals about genetics for years, they are just too vague. Plus they were killing smokers 20 years ago, which put a lot of fear into ppl.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
If i was looking for genetics in Thailand the ones i would be asking would be the older farmers.

I would also be telling them just how important those genetics are and how they need to be protected from greedy big Canna.

Andy (rip) told me there was still good old school Thai genetics around but most of the commercial lots being sold did not represent that.

Thais have a long history with cannabis and i dont think an important plant like cannabis would be allowed to just vanish.

Growing tight chunky flowering lines in hot humid environments normally equals failure.
sadly the influence from america was strong ,
many believed it was bad , like they were told ,

and yea hot humid places have issues with chunky buds ,
though there is a dry season in the tropical places , where there is no rain , and the humidity is very low,
good time to take advantage of fast flowering hybrids,
thats what i would be doing there with my undersanding of modern genetics and tropical climates ..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Donald, do the hybrids prefer the cooler months for flowering? You mentioned heat for flowering. We have 6 months dry, with two months around 38-40 every day. How is it for growing in such heat?
yes , this way you can grow two crops per year t ,
plant toward the end of the monsoon for pure sativas ,,
and after it ends and before storm season for hybrids ,

they will handle the heat fine as long as they are established and are mulched with enough water etc .

funkyhorse

This is a video from Time magazine
You can see what they are growing in the fields, I can see rotten bud
It is time to save old genetics thai/lao before it is too late
The younger kids think everything new is better than the old. American and imported is new. It is the same all around Far East Asia. The younger Asian people dont like the old stuff and they all think new is better
They dont seem to have old school thai in the menu
And selling a gram of this hybrid garbage at 555baht/gram...welll the price says it all...ha ha ha, she is just laughing on all of us

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
personally i think there is room for both things ,
obviously we dont way to loose the old stuff ,
but at the same time , we want to allow , embrace , encourage folks to try everything we have been able to do for a long time now ,
the key is knowing when to grow and what to grow as far as the climate there goes ,
this is something i have worked on in a similar climate for the last 20 + years ,
i wish i could move there tomorrow as a consultant , hahaha ,
but i have other things to do for now and this wont happen for at least another year or two ,
maybe that will be worked out by then ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Go to 17 min of this video and you will see a start up canna company talk about there first three crops failing.

The sad part for me when i watched these videos is i am not seeing the old Thai sativas that made Thia cannabis famous.

Thighland

I bought this locally on the side of the road. It's been in the ground about two weeks. There were roots appearing from the trunk, so I planted it deep, which was probably a mistake.

Overall it's healthy enough, it's started flowering and the lower sections are yellowing. Any suggestions for liquid feed8and top dressing? I was going to give it some fish emulsion and seaweed, but don't want to over water as the ground is still wet.
IMG_20221015_090207.jpg

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
they do get some aerial rooting when its wet like that , i see it here too ,
reminds me of mangrove trees ,, lol ,,

you could us a sprayer and fertilize that way if you wanted ,
they definitely take it through their leaf ,
probably best in the morning when its still cool ,
i would do it weekly until flowering , then change what you use and continue with a flowering fert weekly...

Stocktont

Veteran
I've been talking to locals about genetics for years, they are just too vague. Plus they were killing smokers 20 years ago, which put a lot of fear into ppl.

I tried to point these things out before in other threads about Thailand and cannabis but people that never visited the kingdom seem to have a rose colored view of how things go down in the land of smiles. We’d be lucky to find any old master alive from those days in the 60s and early 70s, as late as 2004-2006 there were ”clean-ups” in the northern regions where a lot of farmers of all sorts of illegal things ended up being killed without trail. I also think it is funny how some westerners that never sat foot in the country think they are capable of ”telling” the farmers what they should and shouldn’t grow, lol.

I got a hold of a thai map of their traditional regional varieties and where they were from, I was surprised that there’s one from a little town not too far from where I live and my wife grew up. I don’t live in the traditional regions which people and books first think of when thinking of thai cannabis. I live below the 10th north of the equator. Are you further to the north, northeast?

Nice road-side plant, I bought a few clones from the local market this summer and the guy told me they were females but a huge one turned out to be a male, lol.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I tried to point these things out before in other threads about Thailand and cannabis but people that never visited the kingdom seem to have a rose colored view of how things go down in the land of smiles. We’d be lucky to find any old master alive from those days in the 60s and early 70s, as late as 2004-2006 there were ”clean-ups” in the northern regions where a lot of farmers of all sorts of illegal things ended up being killed without trail. I also think it is funny how some westerners that never sat foot in the country think they are capable of ”telling” the farmers what they should and shouldn’t grow, lol.

I got a hold of a thai map of their traditional regional varieties and where they were from, I was surprised that there’s one from a little town not too far from where I live and my wife grew up. I don’t live in the traditional regions which people and books first think of when thinking of thai cannabis. I live below the 10th north of the equator. Are you further to the north, northeast?

Nice road-side plant, I bought a few clones from the local market this summer and the guy told me they were females but a huge one turned out to be a male, lol.
yea i wonder about this highland , lowland stuff too ,
like how does anyone know where the dope they are toking is from,
of course they dont have a clue,

to my knowledge, there was no export of highland weed ,
where they grew the majority of the crops there is no highlands...

Thighland

There's a guy I know who builds traditional wooden houses, very skilled but really struggles to express himself. Thais are not good communicators, whereas clear, accurate info is important in western cultures.

But Thais are keen gardeners and love to seed swap, there will be interesting strains appearing before too long.

I'm not sure where I am in relation to the equator, it's a 2hr drive north of BKK and more humid than there. Drop me a PM if you like.

Stocktont

Veteran
yea i wonder about this highland , lowland stuff too ,
like how does anyone know where the dope they are toking is from,
of course they dont have a clue,

to my knowledge, there was no export of highland weed ,
where they grew the majority of the crops there is no highlands...

I think the lowland and highland tags come from DJ Short’s colorful writings on weed he smoked in the 70s that was imported to America along with a few other names like chocolate and juicy fruit. These days with the legal situation so changed I can’t see the need for this type of experts from a far chasing stories and words and now literally chasing animal tails, lol. It’s just for anyone to go and have a look and see how much of a cannabis Indiana Jones they really are. I know people went before when we risked money, freedom and even life if serious enough.

I never understood how people could know where their weed came from if they didn’t pick it up themselves but a lot of people believe in stories, I am baffled about this as well. They’re trying to create certainty where there’s none. Like identifying plants from pictures or even better, from someone else’s description of a plant compared to a picture, it’s in the same ballpark to me.

Stocktont

Veteran
There's a guy I know who builds traditional wooden houses, very skilled but really struggles to express himself. Thais are not good communicators, whereas clear, accurate info is important in western cultures.

But Thais are keen gardeners and love to seed swap, there will be interesting strains appearing before too long.

I'm not sure where I am in relation to the equator, it's a 2hr drive north of BKK and more humid than there. Drop me a PM if you like.

Ok, the equator is south of the southern border of Thailand so you’re on about the 14-15th or so I would guess, I get the general area you’re in, I am south of Bangkok.

I totally agree with the communication. I can read, write and speak thai and it only opened my eyes to how little I understand. It’s so easy to make assumptions and then you’re lost. Do you speak the local dialect and/or thai? I guess it’s fairly easy to get around with thai 2 hours north of the angel city, you can down where I am but they have their own dialect and when they speak it, other thais from the north and from Bangkok can’t really understand.

Latest posts

Latest posts