What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orissa

gdawg328

Here's an F2 of RSC's Orissa. Interestingly enough I planted the seeds at the beginning of August (beginning of the end of summer) and they started flowering by October. They are in 1-gal pots so I can finish them indoors. I'd say this is the beginning of week 4 of flowering. I used some flower tone and I think I added too much for them. For some reason they always seem to start falling apart when I bring them inside anyway. So I ended up flushing them out after giving them too much blood meal after bringing them in. They were brought in 10/10.

Attachments

• photo2081728.jpg
    photo2081728.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2081729.jpg
    photo2081729.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 43
  • photo2081730.jpg
    photo2081730.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 45
  • photo2081731.jpg
    photo2081731.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 45
  • photo2081732.jpg
    photo2081732.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 42
  • photo2081733.jpg
    photo2081733.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 42
  • photo2081734.jpg
    photo2081734.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 40
  • photo2081735.jpg
    photo2081735.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 45
  • photo2081736.jpg
    photo2081736.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2081737.jpg
    photo2081737.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 47
  • photo2081738.jpg
    photo2081738.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 47
  • photo2081739.jpg
    photo2081739.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 41

meizzwang

out of 12 seeds, all were female! Two so far are hermis, so they were pulled. It's too early to tell how these smell, but with the stem rub, some smell like carrots, while others are rather sweet! For sure, there is a diversity of aromas!

At the earliest, I think two or three of the individuals will finish end of December, this is a pretty long flowering variety. They didn't start preflowering here until mid October. Unlike malana and several of the himalayan genotypes that do well crowded and form a long spear-shaped bud, these do not like to be crowded! They form side shoots all along the bottom of the plant, even in dense plantings!

Here they are outdoors in the Pacific NW, mid September:
51630031052_6c1746ebd6_c.jpg

51631076983_34ce7c899d_c.jpg

51630031607_6cd55a0ea7_c.jpg

meizzwang

some updated pics of the orissas. Unfortunately, not a single male in this batch, and there were around 14 plants! I culled maybe 4 plants that had uncontrollable hermis. On the positive side, there's lots of diversity in structure, armoa, and calyx to leaf ratios, so overall, it's quite an interesting population. Some of these smell spot on spicy like Kerala, but a few have very sweet aromas, but I'm gonna experiment breeding with several of these just to see what happens. Hypothetically, the hermi trouble can be controlled in the first generation by selecting a male line that is sexually stable:

51681997117_62ed02ca0b_c.jpg

51682792121_082ca91646_c.jpg

51682792971_9ca13cfd23_c.jpg

love the structure on these plants!
51682792771_3a4739d913_c.jpg

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hypothetically, the hermi trouble can be controlled in the first generation by selecting a male line that is sexually stable:

Recessivity powa is hard with landrace germplasm, even with stable parents you can have intersex or hermi then with next generations so good luck bro! :)

meizzwang

Very true Roms! another angle is to grow out several plants , keep clones of all the parents, create many different crosses, keep track of which male and which female was used for each seed batch, and grow out several seed batches. When you find a seed batch with 0% hermi expression, you find out which parents produced that batch and create the same cross over and over again, using the same exact original male and female clones. That can and has been done, but it's only good for one generation. If you try to continue to improve the line, the next generation has a high chance of hermi traits. I've never met a landrace sativa line that didn't have hermi traits!

Some more pics of Orissa that showcase the overall flower structure (plants in the background, to the left, in the first pic are different strains/crosses):
51691185218_da2e2a1380_h.jpg

51691594634_d81663fe4f_h.jpg

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Good suite Meizzw' beautiful garden! :)

Ya IBL start is complicated but it needs also simplicity i mean hard selection, like 1x1 optimum and then open poll F3 but again with serious selection and axis clean males etc! In this way the hermi trait should disappear and intersex should not exceed the 10% i guess.

meizzwang

Thank you Roms! I think even with strong selective pressure on landraces, there may still be hermi traits showing up, but not as frequent. CBG's durban is a good example: they reportedly selected it down to the F4 generation, and I still had some plants with hermi traits from their seeds, but they were controllable.

I've had botrytis on almost all of my landrace sativas at this point (many different varieties), but the botrytis doesn't turn into a wildfire and eat up the entire flower. Instead, it stays localized and barely spreads: you can pinch it out and then not even notice it was there! Can't do that with modern genetics, once you get botrytis, you have to chop. It's cold at night, these plants have been heavily rained on, and have experienced countless foggy nights, so no matter how resistant a strain they are, they'll all eventually get some amount of botrytis.

That said, the Orissa is looking pretty beautiful at this stage! It's slightly more susceptible to botrytis than some of the other landraces, but as mentioned earlier, bud rot isn't much of an issue for these strains, even with these stressful conditions. These plants still have a few weeks to go, and it's now the end of November here in the Pacific Northwest!

This tall, christmas tree clone smells spicy like the early Kerala strain. I'm not sure if there's a pattern here, but all the tall, christmas tree looking ones smell similar. Decent sized bracts, great structure, nice sized buds, and seems like there's some decent resin production:
51715801512_0f45e2f08d_h.jpg

Same clone, closer shot:
51717469630_05f17bc760_h.jpg

Zoomed in even more:
51717259339_91551165d7_h.jpg

Some serious buds starting to fill in!
51717467100_9ad8fbfc5e_h.jpg

Here's a shorter, more leafy clone, but it still looks like there's decent resin production. This one has a pungent, spicy sweet aroma, definitely the best smelling one out of all the clones. sad that it doesn't have the Xmas tree structure:
51716600946_9b9944fe31_h.jpg

I'll keep you all posted once these plants reach maturity! It's very interesting having plants still growing even though we are getting near freezing temperatures at night!

achille

Veteran
Superb !
What do you mean by "spicy" ? There are so many different spices, I never understand when someone use this word to describe a smell.

Rajas

Premium user
Superb !
What do you mean by "spicy" ? There are so many different spices, I never understand when someone use this word to describe a smell.
I can only sum up and guess what i have heared. Spicy often is a spicy/hot/peppery touch. It can also refer to kitchen herbs and mixture of it, kind of like curry mixes. But also the mixes of spices can be a sort of incense smell that has similar soothing and spiritual effects as real incense.

Hope to get more details from the grower. Orissa is probably very underrated strain in terms of effect and terpenes. Nobody mentions it's an ancient heritage weed that has probably the oldest tradition we can find on this planet.

Last edited:

Verdant Whisperer

I am planning on getting some orissa i am just scared as i think that the seedstock avialable now is over 2 years old. theres 2 packs left on the site i was looking at, 3 before yesterday, I want to preserve this strain so badly. i sent mt.topseedbank in india a email seeing if there anyway i could get some orissa from theem. TLRT bought its orissa from mttopseedbank under the name malkangiri they even copied there exacts description. I was worried that mt.topseeds orissa was contaminanted b/c they mislabeled and put 14-16% thc but looking at tlrt photos and floweing time it pure malkangiri they have.