What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RSC's Bokeo

Zero Hedge

Veteran
I was posting info on my Bokeos in another thread, and figured I'd start one just for these. I got these beans as freebies from KwikSeeds. Not much info on the RSC blog:

12 seeds of Bokeo, a ganja domesticate from the Mekong region of northern Laos. Seeds tested c. 40% viability, producing healthy plants with a delicate structure and heavily serrated leaflets.

Also, Bokeo is a province in northern Laos, situated at about latitude 21* N. At it's western border is Myanmar, and southwest of the province is Thailand

I got four to sprout, and they're growing out nicely. Lime green. The roots were crazy-abundant when I up-potted them.
I intend to make some seeds, too. We'll see. It's a long way to go between now and then, but they're doing pretty good so far:

6-25
6-27 Bokeo1.jpg

7-15
7-15 bokeo.jpg

7-20
7-20 bokeo group.jpg

7-20 bokeo1.jpg

7-20 bokeo2.jpg

7-20 bokeo4.jpg

Please post pics, comments, infos.
Thanks and happy growing :D

musigny23

I got two to sprout and got one male and a female. The female is doing fairly well in a 45 gallon smart pot. It's just about 2m tall now. I really like the narrow leaflet slim stem profile of the plant so I'm very curious about what the flower structure will be. Will it be scrawny strings of bracts or more compact and solid? And then also the terpene profile, effects and strength. Finally I wonder how long it will take to finish. Always something to consider with these when. growing them north of their home latitude. I'm at just about 37° N. in a coastal zone so no real frost issue.

Zero Hedge

Veteran
I"m still learning how to upload pics here, seems like I do it different each time :D

That's awesome, musigny23 Post some pics I'd love to see. Here's some updated pictures of my Bokeos:

7-27 bokeo1.jpg

Not seeing any sex, but internodal spacing is has commenced ⚡
7-27 bokeo nodal.jpg

7-27 bokeo2.jpg

Attachments

• 7-27 bokeo2.jpg
    7-27 bokeo2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 90

musigny23

Here is a pic of my one Bokeo female. I would have preferred to be growing it the ground rather than a smart pot but I didn't have a spot left for it by the time it confirmed being a female. I like the narrow leaves and slim stems. I wonder how long it will go.

3M1JKoV.jpg

musigny23

Yours are looking good. Are you organic? That's hard to do well in small pots like that for the full life cycle. Everything has to be just right. Watering and feeding gets very tricky after a while. If they show problems it can be very hard to diagnose. Hopefully all goes well. Can you say where or approximately where you are?

You should see some preflowers soon. My female actually showed before the male. It showed thin pointy bracts without white pistils at first but they were distinct from the pointy tight curled leaves the male put out. You should get at least one male out of 4 and hopefully can make some seeds.

I expect this Bokeo will be worth keeping as a pure Thai/Lao narrow leaf type. I'm very curious to see the female flowers and the experience the terpenes and effects.

Zero Hedge

Veteran
Thanks, I think they're doing well. There are two males and two females. I've up-potted the females into larger pots. Ones in a 45 and the other in a 30 gallon. I think it's the right thing to do, although I hope I haven't stressed them too much in the process. They are showing not many fingers in the leaves. I've come to know this as the plant's not being happy. The majority of the leaves on all the plants is a five finger leaf, as opposed to 7 or nine or more. I think they dont like the smaller pots for sure, unless it's something else, but they look good. I'm leaving the males in the 15s, they'll be fine. I"m located in the semi-arid west at about 33 degrees. I"m not too worried about letting them go till early next year, tho it's gonna get a little chilly in Dec, I know this and will handle it

musigny23

They will surely be happier in the bigger pots. You should be able to make fresh seeds which is great. As long as the process went smoothly without damage or major disturbance to the root ball they. should be ok. I would judge their health mostly by the color of the leaves not the number of fingers. The fingers are more of a genetic expression. An all over even solid green with straight flat fingers is the best indicator of their health.

That sounds like you are in SoCal, Arizona or New Mexico. As long as they aren't exposed to frosts they should be ok. Hopefully they won't need to go that long if they are outside in sunlight. After Thanksgiving the low sun angle and intensity plus cool average temps will slow their flowering to a crawl. I see that here at about 37° N on the CA coast. Even with sunny days, 24 hour average temps are so cool they practically stop. I like to see my long flower types finish by Thanksgiving. That can happen if I don't feed them generously and limit their root zone which pots does.

Zero Hedge

Veteran
The leaflet count was something I was speculating on = the environment playing upon the genetics. It's not in it's natural environment and may be expressing that in leaflet count. I have no idea tho. Just speculating. I do think these plants are very healthy, tho.

I did find this today on one of the gals. The other two males are still solidly male, and the other female is still slow to show too many pistils, but also no balls. I was very ready for this to happen in that I think these plants are very susceptible to environmental stress. It's a very pretty plant tho I might have to give her the chop.
8-29 bokeo herm.jpg

8-29 bokeo herm1.jpg

musigny23

Oh wow, yes that plant has to at least be separated. Presumably the pollen from these flowers would make female only seeds if used to pollinate the other female. Some people would eliminate it and pollinate only from the solid male to the solid female in hopes of building sexual stability. Hard to say if that can really be done completely. If you don't mind a some instability risk and like the idea of
"feminised" seeds you can keep it and use it.

I would say that leaflet count is more determined by the plant sensing its grow space. It will sense the root zone it has and grow in proportion to it. A pot limiting its root growth will cause it to
limit it's fan leaflets. Had those plants been in the ground or much larger container in that same spot the leaflet count would have been higher. It's also possible the genetics are for fewer leaflets but I have found if you give a plant a lot of space and soil it will max out it's fan leaves compared to a limited space.

Hempy McNoodle

Oh wow, yes that plant has to at least be separated. Presumably the pollen from these flowers would make female only seeds if used to pollinate the other female. Some people would eliminate it and pollinate only from the solid male to the solid female in hopes of building sexual stability. Hard to say if that can really be done completely. If you don't mind a some instability risk and like the idea of
"feminised" seeds you can keep it and use it.

I would say that leaflet count is more determined by the plant sensing its grow space. It will sense the root zone it has and grow in proportion to it. A pot limiting its root growth will cause it to
limit it's fan leaflets. Had those plants been in the ground or much larger container in that same spot the leaflet count would have been higher. It's also possible the genetics are for fewer leaflets but I have found if you give a plant a lot of space and soil it will max out it's fan leaves compared to a limited space.

I was just researching this last night in relation to my mexican sativa grow. Somebody wrote that a hermie male crossed to a hermie female will produce all hermies, while a hermie male crossed to a solid female will produce seeds which are hermie and also some which are solid female (no solid males), while a hermie female pollinated by a solid male will produce hermies as well as solid males (no females). Sounds reasonable to me. I plan on running some tests on my seeds soon which were pollinated by a hermie male.

Zero Hedge

Veteran
... well, Hempy McNoodle I"m about to put your theory to the test, or at least part of it.
That one that hermed, I noticed that it only had balls on a few of the branches, so I just cut those branches off (essentially topping her), and now she's just female. Lets see how this goes.
9-11 manapuri 1.jpg

9-11 manapuri 2.jpg

and this is the other "female," who refuses to admit she's a she
9-11 manapuri 3.jpg

An this them both together
9-11 manapuri 4.jpg

musigny23

I'll be surprised if cutting off the branches with balls is the end of the herming. Chances are very good that balls will sprout anew but maybe not. Last year I had a Kerala plant that hermed on some branches. I tried removing the male parts but it kept sprouting new ones. Had to cull it.

In my experience tropical NLD plants that seem to go a very long time without much if any flower action tend to be solid females when they finally do flower.

musigny23

At least you have the other one. I love those super narrow leaflets.
That one is moving right along. My female is just beginning flowering. Seems stable so far.

Lebanizer

Hi Zero Hedge,

It's great that you're growing this strain. I was apprehending the lack of info about it as I happen to have a pack as well and was hoping to grow them next year. Would you say they have a bambu like shape as seen from afar ? I'm excited to read more about your grow ! Keep us posted 😀

Zero Hedge

Veteran
Hi Zero Hedge,

It's great that you're growing this strain. I was apprehending the lack of info about it as I happen to have a pack as well and was hoping to grow them next year. Would you say they have a bambu like shape as seen from afar ? I'm excited to read more about your grow ! Keep us posted 😀

Hi there. I have mine growing next to some palms, and they are not noticeable. The males are viewable from the street, but no one will ever see them because they blend in with the foliage around them so extremely well. I've inspected this as I was a little concerned. I'm not sure if this is what you're asking - how camouflaged they are. Anyway, yes, I think they would become invisible next to some bamboo.

I've started collecting pollen from the males. The one female is juuust starting to show, basically in pre-flower now.