What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sourcing Seeds in Oaxaca?

RenaissanceBrah

I'll be visiting Oaxaca de Juarez for a few days pretty soon - mostly to visit but was wondering how hard it would be to find some really unique seeds. Any advice on where to look?

I imagine anything bought on the street would just be regular stuff, but was wondering if there were any specific places to ask around.

PS - If anyone has advice on cool nature stuff to see around Oaxaca de Juarez, or things to do, please share as well :)

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Be careful not to get a hole in your forehead man, Mexico is a wonderful country and Mexicans are fantastic people, they give you their heart, I have many friends among them, but not all Mexicans are friendly ....

elchischas

Veteran
Get pure Oaxaca landrace for a Foreigner it is impossible. most Oaxacan growers have hybridized their plants
Finding the old is very difficult because it is still grown in a few places deep inside the mountains.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
A close friend went to a coastal Mexican town for a holiday just before covid the place he went to was said to be a bit risky but turns out the resort they stayed at was owned by the cartel in that area and was the best holiday he had in years very safe he said.

The resort beach area was roped off only for guests but the locals would come up to the ropes and sell tourists any thing you wanted from trinkets to cannabis to ecstacy you name it. They offered him what looked like hybrid types to pure sativas and he ended up getting him self some very nice locally grown sativa to smoke while there.

He made friends with people at the resort and also the boat crew he went fishing out on while there.

My advice would be stay at a resort that's run by the cartel and score some nice locally grow sativa and ask the guy you got it from the next time he goes to sell you some for seed to go with the bag and swing him a few dollars for his effort.

elchischas

Veteran
A close friend went to a coastal Mexican town for a holiday just before covid the place he went to was said to be a bit risky but turns out the resort they stayed at was owned by the cartel in that area and was the best holiday he had in years very safe he said.

The resort beach area was roped off only for guests but the locals would come up to the ropes and sell tourists any thing you wanted from trinkets to cannabis to ecstacy you name it. They offered him what looked like hybrid types to pure sativas and he ended up getting him self some very nice locally grown sativa to smoke while there.

He made friends with people at the resort and also the boat crew he went fishing out on while there.

My advice would be stay at a resort that's run by the cartel and score some nice locally grow sativa and ask the guy you got it from the next time he goes to sell you some for seed to go with the bag and swing him a few dollars for his effort.

Everyone here in México knows that the coastals and mexican beaches are full just of hybrids and any kind of drugs. The cartels do not sell pure mexican landraces,they bring all the indica genes to the country for the same reason until today: make money.
I have spent the last 20 years looking for landraces and I certainly know that on the beaches or with the mafia you will not find the real deal

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Be very careful, a friend of mn was after some weed and nearly ended up dead, robbed him and left him down an ally and he woke up in hospital a few hours later. They beat him half to death, and he was lucky just to have a few broken ribs and a fractured skull. Is that worth finding the odd seed?

Hell yes if it's that rare...lol

I've got few Mexicans, Michoacán and another marked as just Mexican, could be from around Oaxaca or could be Acapulco gold(highly doubt that though) Not grown those out yet as i've got to many seeds, i'm never ever going to grow them all out as i'd be over 1000 years old if i could get that chance..lol The Michoacán is a very nice and in my experience has a little indica in her. I use 1 really nice female which i crossed to a few male lemon stinky. I sent out those as freebies and testers before i lost the mother plant so only have around 15 seeds of those but i've still got the other 20+ Michoacán and you never know i could find that phenotype again, or an even better one. a lot of the pics you see of Michoacán cannabis are most likely from me or people i gave seeds to.

Keep your eye on SEEDBAY as i've got a few things in the pipeline.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Everyone here in México knows that the coastals and mexican beaches are full just of hybrids and any kind of drugs. The cartels do not sell pure mexican landraces,they bring all the indica genes to the country for the same reason until today: make money.
I have spent the last 20 years looking for landraces and I certainly know that on the beaches or with the mafia you will not find the real deal

Hi elchischas my friend told me it was a pure sativa he got and it was the local people not the cartel selling the different things at the ropes some were offering hybrids others were selling pre rolled joints to.

My friends is close to my age and knows the difference between hybrids and pure sativas.

unnamedmike

Hi elchischas my friend told me it was a pure sativa he got and it was the local people not the cartel selling the different things at the ropes some were offering hybrids others were selling pre rolled joints to. My friends is close to my age and knows the difference between hybrids and pure sativas.

Good acquisition then :good: As Elchischas says, in mexican coastal areas its difficult to find Mexican sativas or mexican hybrids. And at least in my area, crops are very rare, a lot of helicopters and planes. Everything is brought by the narco.

elchischas

Veteran
Hi elchischas my friend told me it was a pure sativa he got and it was the local people not the cartel selling the different things at the ropes some were offering hybrids others were selling pre rolled joints to.

My friends is close to my age and knows the difference between hybrids and pure sativas.

Hi Hempy
if someone from outside has contacts and friends it is safer to get the real deal
but now it is dangerous for a foreigner to ask about marijuana seeds
how Unnamedmike says
be very careful, there are very bad people in my country, there are few but they can smell very good the money.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Hi Hempy
if someone from outside has contacts and friends it is safer to get the real deal
but now it is dangerous for a foreigner to ask about marijuana seeds
how Unnamedmike says
be very careful, there are very bad people in my country, there are few but they can smell very good the money.

Hi elchischas my friend didn't plan on scoring flower but had hoped he could but he never expected them coming to him at the resort he really liked and got on well with the Mexican people.

Good and bad people every were mate i think it comes down to being respectful and knowing your limits but your right you need to remember your a long long way from home. Finding out the cartels owned the resorts the clubs was a surprise being a paying guest at there resort owned by them gave them protection as the last thing they want is for guests to go home and tell people not to visit.

He had such a great time he had planned on going back the following year now were talking an 18 to 22 hour flight he told me he prefers to go to Mexico than to Bali or Thailand.

Amynamous

I'll be visiting Oaxaca de Juarez for a few days pretty soon - mostly to visit but was wondering how hard it would be to find some really unique seeds. Any advice on where to look?

I imagine anything bought on the street would just be regular stuff, but was wondering if there were any specific places to ask around.

PS - If anyone has advice on cool nature stuff to see around Oaxaca de Juarez, or things to do, please share as well :)

How was your trip?
Did you score any beans?

Latest posts

Latest posts