What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snow High Seeds' Double Acapulco Gold

Hempy McNoodle

Greetings All,

I am in the beginnings of my newest project and one which I have been really looking foreword to; Snow High Seeds' Double Acapulco Gold! I'm very excited to share this grow report and smoke report with all of you. This strain is said to be a cross between seed stock from 1968 X 1972. There is very little info available other than the parents were red and/or purple stemmed. These are the most expensive seeds I've ever purchased, by far. But, this is a legendary strain and I've always loved Mexican bud as a youngster and since once I have it, I can reproduce it and have it forever and share the beans, I felt it was a worthy investment and could be a very rare chance to obtain this strain. I've done my research and to the best of my knowledge, the only commercially available sources of this strain in it's authentic form are the Liquidkid/Bodhi variety (which is said to be very mild in potency) and the Snow High Double Acapulco Gold. I have never seen a review of the Snow High, so I am happy to share the experience with all of you. I decided to make this a separate thread from the "Acapulco Gold" thread simply because that is a vast thread and I have doubts that people would find the info very easily if someone were to do a keyword search for this particular variety. I started with a 10 pack and tried growing one plant last year, but the plant was stunted from my first (and last) time use of azomite as a soil amendment. Also, the plant Phylos tested as a male and was discarded. So, this current grow started with the remaining 9 seeds. I germinated them in moist paper towels in open zip-lock bags over a heating pad and insulated from the pad on a folded washcloth. All 9 seeds germinated within 3 days and were planted in organic soil in 2 gallon fabric pots. Before I germinated the seeds, I tried an experimental visual technique to determine the gender of the seeds (I will share a link to this method). I determined that 3 looked male and six looked female and I marked the three males fabric pots with plant tags. Ultimately, 8 seeds emerged from the soil (2 males [?] / 6 females [?]) The third probable male seedling has yet to emerge and I dug around and see that it has not grown or developed, but is still alive. It will probably be discarded. Going forward, I plan to grow all of them without pinching the tops or encouraging branching. I plan on pollenating all of the females with both males, by hand pollinating the lower branches only, leaving the tops seedless (hopefully). I will mark each branch so I know which seeds were pollenated by which male. This might be helpful for future selection. But, my main purpose is to get as much genetic diversity as possible into the reproduction. And, of course, I can't wait to smoke the buds!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good luck. I grew the Suroeste/AG x Michoacan and it leaned heavily to the AG side. It was about twice as potent and resin coated over the Bodhi AG. I do not feel it is real AG but it is good and from Guerrero I would think. I am going by satva and his knowledge of AG. Most people that had AG, did not have AG. Snow is too young to have had AG or Bodhi for that matter.

Growenhaft

Snow is too young to have had AG or Bodhi for that matter.

it's sensational where the old genetics suddenly appear again. completely undiscovered land races can be found.

but if you look at the herb accordingly, you cannot tell it apart from the mass of average hybrids that 100th are on the market.

in many places marketing is heading in the direction of fairy tale books.

I don't mean that referring to this thread in general.

but only on the statement quoted above.

I wish the topic starter every success

RingtailCanyon

I’ve had some Acapulco gold that was possibly from the same source as the Bodhi line. It looks spot on to the plants from Bodhi. Potency/resin and terpenes were very low and flower time was extra long. The aroma was great, but it was very quiet and didn’t have any taste. As special of a line as it may be, it didn’t have enough high to it to make it worth growing again. I even tried in a hybrid and the high didn’t improve enough to try again.
Snowhigh’s acapulco could have some potential.

Hempy McNoodle

I am very excited to see what comes of it. As far as authenticity, it's just one of those things where you can't know for sure, but I hope for some nice old school classic southern Mexico bud! As far as the 'original real deal', my understanding is that, more or less, Gold was a marketing term for 'top shelf' at the time and also probably pertained to the color of the traditionally produced buds. And, in theory these buds would have been purchased in or around Acapulco, but in theory, could have come from just about anywhere in the mountains of southern Mexico to be sold in touristy places like Acapulco. So, if that is true then Oaxacan buds and acapulco 'gold' buds could be interchangeable. Any thoughts? I wonder about the variability in plants in the region spanning from between Michoacan and Oaxaca. I'm glad that there are so many fellow growers on icmag who specialize in the Mexican landraces.

Hempy McNoodle

001.JPG

Latest posts

Latest posts