What's new

landrace strains with excellent flavour and smell

G

GroMore

Curious to know of any landrace strains that have excellent flavour and smell. So many landrace strains I've come across seem to have harsh smoke and little to offer in terms of flavour and smell.

much thanks,

GroMore

S

sweet-dreams

nepalese rulezz i smoke this from my friend grow :) very good strain :)

funkymonkey

Landraces aren't about flavour and smell, they are about unusual and special highs, all this obsession with flavour and smell has only come about because there is little else to differentiate between modern hybrids, they all have such similar highs - pedestrian, boring ones.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I'm feeling what funkymonkey said... but I'm also sure that many of those flavours and smells in the new hybrids, must come from somewhere... I mean, each landrace has its different smell too, for example most indicas use to stink a lot, opposing to some other very floral or citrus sativas.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's common in higher THC strains for the (tastes and smells of the) resin oils to overpower the water soluable flavors. To me, there's often greater variation in the 'water flavors', but they can easily be buried under the more pungent turpenes, especially after selecting for higher potency for a few generations.

Lower potency sativas (like many landraces) often have delicate floral, spicy flavors that don't often make the transition when crossed with stronger strains that have peppery, or pine-ey flavors and smells.

I recently used some Durban Poison in a cross with a much more potent strain. Not only did the DP smells and flavors (and up high) make it through the cross, but they actually seemed amplified.

funkymonkey

Er, I think you're talking out of your arse, sorry to say. Peppery and Piney are very common in landrace sativas.

Also, landrace sativas are not lower potency, that is totally wrong.

It's got nothing to do with resin oil and water soluble flavours either, sativas tend to have lower terpene densities, crossed to an indica (which tend to have high terpene densities) you get plants with a range of terpene densities, some with lots of the terpenes from the sativa, and those ones will have the smell/taste of the sativa just in an 'amped up' form.

Rinse

Veteran
The most amazing smells and tastes I have had are from landraces, what I have noticed tho is that they can burn hot hence the harshness and they need longer curing (esp sativa's)

bodymind

Veteran
i've been really curious about the malana strain from rsc. can you give any more details about it? what it grows like, specific smells and flavours, high, etc.

bun1

I still have to crop this plant, it's 10 weeks into flower now and still has another 2-3 to go.

I did take a bud sample last week and I can say for a for it being 4 weeks early, it was pretty strong. I can't say much for flavor because the bud was not flushed yet. I also used my dirty bong to hit it, witch did nothing for the taste.

The buzz was nice it hits you fast and the buzz creeps higher within the first 15 mins. It's a very clear, energetic and happy stone. It will only get better in the next couple of weeks when shes done. I'm planing on croping when the trichs are 75-80% amber.

The plant grows really fast and you can find yourself running out of space quick. Mine was fim'ed and lst'ed, my space is small though.

In flower it smells very fruity like papaya and mango, it's very sweet.

I'll give you a better idea of flavor when she's properly flushed and cured.

Cheers

GreenSalami

I love the RSC malana high - clear and colourful

This was off some seedy that was not looked after. Can't wait to try some properly grown Malana live hash.

Harpo

Howdy everyone,

Hell, I was there!

Back in the day, 1974-77, we had a regular source of Thai stick that tasted like chocolate, Milk chocolate, not dark.

About that time we had some of the sweetest tasting Nepalese finger hash that one can imagine. It blasted you into orbit. Afgani hash coming in from Germany was OK but the Nepalese was at a totally different level.

The Colombian Red Tip and Gold was outstanding also.
Taste was OK. It was compressed bud. Red Tip beat you down and Gold kicked you into orbit.

Great stuff.

Modern bud, which I have grown that compares in strength and taste to the old school stuff:
-White Widow, Dutch Passion
-AK-47, Serious Seed
-Rez's Sour Diesel
-Dr Greenthumbs Malawi and Acapulco Gold. The gold is how it cures out. It has nothing to do with peeling or cutting the stalks. These equitorial sativas never reach full potential under indoor lights.They take forever to finish and yield is shit. The A.G. high was exactly like I remembered it from 1972, a wierd out of body type of floating high. It's just personal stash.
-Organkid's S1's OG
-Mexican street bud.

Umgawa,
Harpo

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
anything will taste like shit if it aint grown and flushed properly

Anything of cannabis that needs to be flushed wasn't grown properly. You don't flush chemicals out of plants or the human body. You will never see a growth hormone company posting toxicology reports on their products.

FLUSHING IS A STRAIGHT UP LIE!!!

peace farmerlion

meizzwang

I've grown so many landraces over the years, and while many smell great, most taste like hay or not great at all in flower form. Most of the nepali sativas aren't worth smoking in flower form, but are absolutely devastating when concentrated because they have no ceiling. Out of the 3 females I sampled, RSC Nepalese smelled decent, but is definitely not worth smoking in flower form, it tastes absolutely shitty! Here's a pic of Rolpa (aka RSC's nepalese) for reference:
51715802687_f0b68dd3b7_c.jpg

That said, there are a few exceptions:
1) RSC's early Kerala: smells spicy like many of the other equatorial sativas, but is surprisingly flavorful in flower form, so long as you manicure ALL of the non-resinous leaves out
2) Manipuri: tastes just like it smells, heavenly! This is the newest RSC accession, smells the same as the older accessions, but with way larger buds. the 7 or 8 females I got so far all smell the same and look very similar, maybe this round had more selective pressure:
51717470585_4e133618a0_c.jpg

3) Wailing Valley: this is from one female that I got, and there's lots of diversity, so don't expect all plants from this strain to be good. Nevertheless, the individual I got appears to be a good representation of what the strain malana used to be before GHS and others completely ruined the gene pool with modern genetics. Surprisingly, the flowers are worth smoking and taste great! Here's a pic of Wailing Valley:
51636647471_8b2d9ec3ae_c.jpg

I haven't tried mango Thai yet, but it looks and smells outstanding. My plants are probably ripe enough to harvest now, but I got beans developing, so it's going to keep going until those are ripe:
51716601236_b714642d15_c.jpg

There are some other equatorial sativas that I think have potential if pheno hunted, such as Kaala Pathari and Shillong. I have one shillong individual that smells like nothing I've ever experienced, and it's pungently sweet! Thing is, the strain is very diverse, and no two plants smell the same. Will keep you all updated as the buds develop, still have quite a few strains that aren't done yet!
51717260009_41d3443745_c.jpg

Lebanizer

I've grown so many landraces over the years, and while many smell great, most taste like hay or not great at all in flower form. Most of the nepali sativas aren't worth smoking in flower form, but are absolutely devastating when concentrated because they have no ceiling. Out of the 3 females I sampled, RSC Nepalese smelled decent, but is definitely not worth smoking in flower form, it tastes absolutely shitty! Here's a pic of Rolpa (aka RSC's nepalese) for reference:

That said, there are a few exceptions:
1) RSC's early Kerala: smells spicy like many of the other equatorial sativas, but is surprisingly flavorful in flower form, so long as you manicure ALL of the non-resinous leaves out
2) Manipuri: tastes just like it smells, heavenly! This is the newest RSC accession, smells the same as the older accessions, but with way larger buds. the 7 or 8 females I got so far all smell the same and look very similar, maybe this round had more selective pressure:

3) Wailing Valley: this is from one female that I got, and there's lots of diversity, so don't expect all plants from this strain to be good. Nevertheless, the individual I got appears to be a good representation of what the strain malana used to be before GHS and others completely ruined the gene pool with modern genetics. Surprisingly, the flowers are worth smoking and taste great! Here's a pic of Wailing Valley:

I haven't tried mango Thai yet, but it looks and smells outstanding. My plants are probably ripe enough to harvest now, but I got beans developing, so it's going to keep going until those are ripe:

There are some other equatorial sativas that I think have potential if pheno hunted, such as Kaala Pathari and Shillong. I have one shillong individual that smells like nothing I've ever experienced, and it's pungently sweet! Thing is, the strain is very diverse, and no two plants smell the same. Will keep you all updated as the buds develop, still have quite a few strains that aren't done yet!

That's normal Meizzwang, Nepalese strains aren't ganja plants so they're not made to be enjoyed as flowers in the first place but to produce compacted resin. All the pleasant smelling strains you mention are ganja strains ie they've been grown and selected over time to be enjoyed as flowers. I agree about Himalayan strains usually not being the most refined smell wise but really as someone said before the allure of landraces is their unique high really. RSC Nanda devi may smell like hay (it does) but I'd trade it over any great smelling sativa hybrids due to its unique signature.