What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grape Licorice Cookies (Special Bagseed)

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Hello everyone!

Well, at least that's what I'm calling her for now... :biggrin: The story goes like this. I was in the Bay Area doing some work and picked up a quarter of GSC from a friend. Got to the end of the bag and noticed a dime sized nug that had a seed popping out. So I started breaking it up and all these other beans started showing up. After it was all broke up, I ended up with 13 beans out that tiny little nug!!!! I couldn't believe that it had that many seeds. Very impressive! Someone must have pollinated it and forgot about it. No other nugs had beans.

Anyway, I decided to pop a couple of them and see what happens. The seeds looked a little premature, a bit pale, so I just picked the darkest two beans from the batch. Both sprouted in less in the 24 hours and grew very well and ended up being females!! One of them is a mutant of sorts and a bit more leafy, and gangly and just kinda strange. The buds seem to grow differently on each branch, but it smells pretty damn good. Very sweet smelling and the buds look pretty good now that some branches are swelling up. More of a chunky, foxtaily kinda of structure, with that girl scout cookies look mixed in. It's just not something I would probably keep around though. It doesn't have near the resin production and some of the buds look a little micro for the size of the branch. Its just a weird plant with strange characteristics.

BUT... the OTHER one is... my god... one of the best plants I've ever seen or grown and I've grown/seen my fair share of herbs in my time. This thing is covered in trics and smells like grape licorice. Just insane amounts of resin production from this plant. It is super hearty and just grows really, really well and has tons of bud sites. Its starting to turn purple on the tips of the flowers and around the edges of the leaves. A real dark and deep, rich purple. Almost black in some spots. Pictures don't really do it near the justice it deserves and its hard to see with the orangey lighting I took them under, but its there and I'm sure it will continue as it fully matures. Most of the leaves are still very dark green, so its still doing its thing. Looks like I might be another 10-15 days off and I'm guesstimating I'm at day 57 because I'm REALLY at day 67 from 12/12 but I didn't see any flowers for at least 21-22 days after the flip!! I don't think they were mature enough yet or this girl is just really slow. So I took off 10 days assuming it was still vegging and comparing mine to pictures of others at the same time. I don't know though, its a new girl so I don't know when she finishes, but shes a keeper and I will definitely let her go until she looks damn good and ready. Crazy good plant. Cant wait to sample the goods!!! I wish I knew someone to hand her off to and get her spread around. She's real dreamy.

Enjoy the pics and let me know what you think!! Thanks everyone!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey Sport Farmer, nice looking find you got there. She is looking good but wish we could smell what you are describing also, good job on her so far. Enjoy and with a girl that good looking i'm sure you will make a few friends. Take care 1

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Hey thanks, Kant C Shyt! Appreciate the response. Yeah, I wish you could smell it too. It really is remarkable. Its like that OG smell mixed with grape licorice when you rub a leaf with trics on it. But just smelling the bud with your nose smells like grape licorice. Maybe a slight hint of something soury/bitter mixed in there as well. Thats the best way I can describe it. The buds are so super dense and just encrusted with trics. The lower branches that aren't getting as much light are even more caked with resin!!

Yeah, I knew immediately when she started flowering that she was something special. She was coated in resin within the first week of seeing flowers! :D

usda101

Great job , Licorice is my favorite candy being old school . Got me thinking about Jelly Beans Damn near licked the screen .

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Hey thanks usda101 and A10 for stopping by and commenting. Really appreciate it. Glad you enjoy the pics.

Here she is at day 60 (70 12/12) and shes really starting to orange up and swell in the last couple days. Hairs are dying off pretty quickly now. Fan leaves are starting to turn dark purple at the stem and spreading upwards. As always pictures don't really do it justice at all and somehow the density isn't really translating on the pictures. Whatever, they are super dense. You'll have to take my word for it. The real close up shot is one of the lower branches. Crazy amounts of resin. I think I'm gonna go another 5-8 days because some of the lower buds still need some time. Let me know what you guys think and what you're thinking about how much longer she's got!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Heusinomics

Excilent gro!

That's a lucky find. Esp IF it truly came from a cookie family cut....
And not just a s1 of another S1...

Ether way my vote would b to call it "fortune cookie"
As that's what it is...
I'm seriously NOT trying to b a dick.
I commend you for the desire and fallow through to collect/save and grow out those mystery beans. That def falls into the passion category. And you def did that plant justice as it finished out fantastic clearly.
In your home grows oc you can call your meds anything you want.
But if you were to spread it around n get it out there. As u say you wd like

Renaming stuff just muddies the waters. Esp when you don't know the genetics or the new pheno well.
It my not hav that grape/licorice flavor when done in a dif style.

Just somthing to keep in mind.
You did a great job
Big ups respect and happy growing.

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Hey thanks GSPfan & Heusinomics for commenting. Much appreciated! No disrespect takin! Thanks for your perspective. :tiphat:

Who knows if it will retain the flavor or the smell by the time its dried and ready for smokin. Keepin my fingers crossed!! I hope it does, because it will truly be something unique.

The bag was definitely GCS. From a club I presume, cause thats where the dude "shopped" from what I remember. :biggrin: What version of GSC was it? From what I could tell, It was the usual GSC I'm used to seeing from the Bay. Some bigger nugs are purple, some a little more green. Mine appears to be showing all the same characteristics but the buds seem to be a little more spear tipped. Who knows what it was crossed with. So it could really be anything, but it looks like its showing all the characteristics of GSC, especially now that the big fan leaves are starting to turn that real dark purple/black color... just started doing that in the last day or so, so shes almost done. Definitely a fortune cookie!! :biggrin: I cant stop staring at it. It looks so good I want to eat it. Haha!

I'm not trying to muddy any waters and I'm definitely not responsible for anything that came out of that seed. I just made sure it survived and had adequate living quarters because I am passionate about this, like you said. I really enjoy the hobby of it, just as much as the results. I have so many beans stored up that I want to run from over 20 years of collecting and even a little of my own breeding that I have yet to pop. These just seemed kinda exciting, so I gave them a go and it payed off. :dance013:

Jason Voorhees

Nice find! Looks and sounds delicious. I see what you mean, they definitely resemble cookies but that first pic in the thread show a more spear shaped bud structure.

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Nice find! Looks and sounds delicious. I see what you mean, they definitely resemble cookies but that first pic in the thread show a more spear shaped bud structure.

Thanks for stopping by Jason! Appreciate it.

Yeah, that is the main cola (I didn't top it) and in that particular picture it is day 56, so it hasn't really started swelling or filling out up there quite as much yet like the lower nugs have. Seems like this plant kinda likes less light then your average plant, so things looks different at various levels. I'll get a more recent shot tmrw, and show the progress on the main cola. Its starting to fill out more and swell up and hairs are dying off pretty quickly now, but it is more spear tipped for sure. Not as much that "rose bud" looking structure as others GSC looks. The colors are there for sure, the OG smell is there, the structure of the stems and bud sites is there... and the density is there, so yeah.. We'll see what happens. :)

One thing is for sure, though. It's going to be a tasty treat no matter what. :D

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Hello everyone!

Here's an update from today at day 61.

Things are looking really good and more hairs have continued to die off and the darkening/purpling continues. Should be able to see it in the pics now. I tried to get some better shots showing the coloring. It looks like its finishing up pretty fast now. Doesn't look like its kicking out anymore flowers from what I can tell. Just swelling up and turning colors. Lower buds still need some work, but they are looking pretty swollen too. Sry about the same angles, its just easily accessible with my big ass ipad, otherwise I would cause some havoc trying to get better shots.

How about some contrast and compare? Take a look at her sister I told you about who isn't as hot, but smells really good. (bottom pic) That's from the same batch of seeds . That's the top cola. Completely different looking plant. So you can really see how I ended up with some really special. I bet it will smoke good though... it smells super sweet. Like big league chew or something. Cant quite put a finger on it.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who stopped by and given me rep. I really appreciate everyone's contribution and response. Thanks so much guys!

Enough talk, lets see some pics!!

Main Cola Day 61
picture.php

Purpling of the leaves/flowers
picture.php

Fattening up!
picture.php

The under structure
picture.php

Main Cola @ day 61 of the other girl
picture.php

Sport Farmer

Veteran
The pictures in this post (https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4528541&postcount=4) are EXACTLY identical to the girl scout cookies I got my beans from. Literally identical looking. You can even see how mine will pretty much look exactly like those dried nug shots, or at least I can. I think mine may actually have more resin production then the original. I got the bag in November, so it wasn't that long ago. Still pretty fresh to the memory.

Here's some more shots at day 62. Things are really starting to look pretty much finished on the top canopy. Lower buds still need a little time. Tried to get new angles/different buds.. better side shots showing the density and structure. Make sure to click on the images to get a bigger/better version. This forum really jacks up the quality and detail of my pics and I cant figure out how to negate that. Maybe someone can help.

Thanks again guys!

Bud sites in the back
picture.php

Side structure and density
picture.php

More bud sites
picture.php

Main stem bud sites
picture.php

Frosty lower branch
picture.php

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That licorice / anise smell is likely coming from the Durban in the equation. Nice looking plant for sure. :respect: Gotta love them bag seeds!!

dank.Frank

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Hey thanks for commenting and the info, Dank Frank. Thats really interesting, I'll have to read more up on Durban. Its been a long time since I smoked any and I can't really remember the flavor.

Well, I finally sorted the pictures quality thing. Heres some shots that actually do it justice!! These show the density and coloring a lot better. Let me know what you guys think!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My new favorite thread to come drool over. I'm going to have to drink grape koolaid, chew a black jellybean, and eat a scoop of chocolate mint ice cream, and swish it all around in my mouth - just so I can get an idea of what this lady might taste like!!! :joint:

She really is a beauty. Can't stop looking!! I'm starting to feel a bit like a pervert starting at a long legged blonde in a short skirt! :nono:

It's interesting the sister plant is still spitting white hairs...and that the lowers on the GLC are significantly frostier than the tops. I do see the very slightest bit of tip burn on the leaves indicating a high feeding / and slight over feeding at one point in the grow cycle. Not a criticism by any means, but it could mean the plant still tossing new white pistils is more sensitive to nitrogen or is going to be overly mature in general. Might be one you have to look at trich color to determine when she is done vs waiting for the pistils to indicate such by browning off. I'd be keeping a close eye on that to make sure that one doesn't start tossing out any nanners in those spots.

I know a buddy has a Durban that ran 18wks and STILL hadn't finished flowering fully...was still tossing white pistils. So you could be seeing such things surface in these seeds as well, even though, it's obviously not a pure Durban or super long flowering sativa, with these likely being S1 (assuming) there is a lot of free flowing genetic information that has been recombined and it's certainly possible to see such traits surface in unusual ways that aren't thought of as typical.

Forum cut in general, would tend to produce better flowers with the lights slightly further away from her than would be considered the norm for other plants. I don't know if this is due to lighting intensity or the marginal decrease in surface temperatures...either way, it holds true. You might find the same to be true with the GLC. In future runs it might be something worth trying.

I'm over here like a cheerleader hoping she will reveg for you!!! Good luck!!! May the canna gods be ever in your favor!! :wahey:

dank.Frank

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Thanks again dank frank. I'm really proud of her. Its getting hard to resist not cutting it down and starting the drying process but I know its needs more time.

Yeah, the burnt tips is totally my wrong doing. I fed them three times in a row and that last time burnt them a little... It wasn't too bad though. The sister actually didn't burn as much as the GLC. That was awhile ago though. They are on a diet of plain ole water right now until the end.

The sister is definitely doing some weird shit. She's all over the place and I don't really understand her. She's still kicking out tons of flowers and fox tailing like crazy, yet some of the branches looks done, while some bud sites look like GSC structure and others don't.. Whatever, shes coming down when the other one does. I'm not gonna dick around with her even if shes kicking out flowers. I think you're right that she just reacted to the feeding. Probably the last feeding i did at like day 55-56. I cant remember now.

She will reveg!! I use the tried and true technique! https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=26290

I see some forum cut GSC similarities. Dark leaves, frost on the fan leaves. Nice job with the bag seed, I see no nanners on any of your pics. I've been running the GSC forum cut for years now and I'm pretty familiar with/like the cut. The thing I first thought was that the lowers on my GSC often like to sneak nanners into hard to see spots and sometimes I get a random bud full of seeds as you describe. Maybe someone didn't purposeful pollinate said nug and forgot, maybe it's simply some hermie seeds... Idk?

I agree with dank frank, try backing the lights off of this one just to see what happens. The forum cut is unique in that she produces a little bit better with the lights a little farther back.

Nice work with the bagseed looking forward to watching it finish.

I'm COorganics on other forums if you are curious.

Subbed up

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Hey thanks for chiming in Skyhigh. Appreciate it. Yeah, its probably more likely to have been pollinated by itself. Who knows...

Yeah, you can definitely see the similarities but also the uniqueness at the same time. The pictures dont really do it justice, this is one you need to see with your own two eyes.

In the last couple days its really started turning a dark purple all over the place like the forum. Mostly around the bud sites and some of the larger fan leaves. It looks like someone spray painted them. Its really trippy looking. Some spots are really rich purple looking. I;ll try and get some good shots showing the purpling... But as i was saying to dank frank, shes super multicolored and the crystal is super white giving her a caked look. Its super mouth watering. It actually looks like some kind of cookie or "treat" ... :biggrin: Yeah i think the lighting is key with this girl too, so it will just take some time to learn her traits, but over all.. a super easy girl to grow. She did most of the work!

How long do you let your forum cut go for? Im thinking I got another 5 days on it.. but it could be a little longer. I'm at 64 tomorrow.

Here's a cool shot of her at day 62

picture.php

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I could pull Forum between 8-9wks...BUT usually let her run 9. Some people like her longer, but it could be slight environmental differences.

Keeping in mind, if a shop had "GSC" that came from the CookieFam - it would have been seeds from Thin Mint pheno. Which means, it wouldn't look like a standard S1 coming off the Forum which we see a lot more of.

Personally, I see bits of both the Forum and the OGKB cut when I look at the GLC - I think it lends credence to the possibility the seeds are S1's of the Thin Mint cut. We've seen a LOT of examples of "cookie"-esque plants and to me this lady certainly looks the part.

dank.Frank