What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High temperature cloning

El Timbo

I have a question for anyone with experience of successful cloning in high temperatures...

If high ambient temperature is unavoidable, which cloning methods/techniques help alleviate the negative effects of the high temperature?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Cuttings in water, I have close to 100% strike rate.

The grow is in a non climate controlled warehouse,
and i stumbled across the method looking at websites
that promote water cuttings of hard to root plants.

Do it, some cultivars root in a few days, some a couple weeks.

Change the water every couple days and rinse the container and plant.

asilsweater

Soon as the water warms up u invite pythium. Best thing ive found is cuttings in soil in the shade or low intensity light. Dome for two days and then start the hardening process.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
how warm are we talking? rooting in warm water sounds like a recepy for disaster. maybe you can counteract the problem with a few drops of bleach in the water.

i find the least problems using eazy plugs. cut back the leaves so they don't sweat too much, open the cloning box 1 x a day to change the air by fanning some fresh air in. this way even with ambient temps of 30° you will get roots.

best to use hormone tablets diluted in water so you can just dip the stem in a glass of the stuff and stick it in the plug. powder and rooting gel are a pta in comparison. i do also make my razor 45% cut while the stem to be cut is under water in a soup plate. its not rare for me to get 99% success rate this way. i can produce about 70 to 80 clones in 3 hours this way.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
thats warm for sure, not sure how it would go at that ambient temp.

for me the problem in summer is the quality of the buds, i don't really have trouble making the cuts. maybe put the cloning trays on the floor to help a bit with temps?

Reactions: Gry

foo dog

But still change the water as often as possible. And use a glass bottle with a narrow opening so the cutting doesn't slide down into the water.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
How many cuts. Do you have electric. Do you have a budget.

I'm picturing something between a mini fridge and a full size one. It will need a stat for ~25c and a plug in style one is a tenner. The lighting might be inside or might be shining in through a hole you cut. 40c or more shouldn't be a problem done properly.

30c is a typical summer peak here. I just take typical cuts. Around 35c they start to poach in the high humidity those temperatures call for

Edit: This should turn on a TEC based fridge. The sensor is remote. Keep the fridge door open, and make a bubblewrap window. That will let LED light in.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-...060636?hash=item1cdfdfa69c:g:6oMAAOSw2QVfFrSV

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I take a cut at a leaf node,
scrape off the base by putting the stem between my thumb and scissors,
dip it in Stim-Root,
then stick it in a hydrated jiffy plug.

Works for me. I did a couple hundred like that this season.

El Timbo

This year I turned on the A/C to keep temps around 24ºC and I have rooted clones - I then turned off the A/C and note that the root development seems very slow now that max temps are around 30ºC again. Would this be down to the high temps?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Plants we grow do well 24-28C, higher temps will demand your focus and lowered expectations.

Sub24ox7

Temperature totally! I run my aero cloner 24/7 with it off long enough to clean it/change the reservoir. I have found I get 100% success if the temp is cool enough. If it’s too hot then you get no roots or loose the ones you had. I have grown a plant from the ez cloner to completion for fun and just like with deck or nft temperature matters anytime roots are in straight water. I ran a table with hydroton flood and drain except I let it pump 24/7 while lights on and I had good success with the chiller keeping the reservoirs at 64 degrees Fahrenheit. Was an experiment, it works as long as it’s cool enough. Alternatively you can get a timer for so many minutes off and then on etc..

El Timbo

I've had some success trying again with no A/C - temps up to 32º - I think the key might be making sure the medium is not too damp. I'm thinking maybe pure perlite might be worth trying.

st0ric

Temperature totally! I run my aero cloner 24/7 with it off long enough to clean it/change the reservoir. I have found I get 100% success if the temp is cool enough. If it’s too hot then you get no roots or loose the ones you had. I have grown a plant from the ez cloner to completion for fun and just like with deck or nft temperature matters anytime roots are in straight water. I ran a table with hydroton flood and drain except I let it pump 24/7 while lights on and I had good success with the chiller keeping the reservoirs at 64 degrees Fahrenheit. Was an experiment, it works as long as it’s cool enough. Alternatively you can get a timer for so many minutes off and then on etc..

Switch to a 1 minute on 9 minutes off cycle in aerocloner and you will see amazing results regardless of temps.

sneezydog

I made a bucket bubble cloner and wasnt too successful, but will try again. I get fairly high temps. didnt know about putting a timer on the thing... used a bit of h202 and still lost most of them