What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ideal Traits in Blueberry Lines

I have limited experience but purple stems seem like they are just a phenotype. Some people think it’s a deficiency.

It's a deficiency. People spend so much time worrying about obtaining/creating new genetics instead of growing a normal healthy plant first..

Your plants are the most vocal abuse victims in your household. Cyanidin glucosides contain ph indicators. Where they are in the plant tells us where auxin is in the plant. Their shade tells us why they are there, whether held up by a fungal gate or a plant issue,like did a forklift knock over a bunch of shelves or are the workers protesting and opening all the boxes for themselves?

Where do you want sugars storing up in the plant while it's vegging? Personally I want them in the roots until the very end, then I want them in the buds. I never want them clogging up the phloem. You can predict yields and diminished quality just looking at these Calcium deficient plants online, yet people will still worry about finding a new plant that yields more and has more terpanene. And if they find it, it'll be a plant that has extra genes for calcium uptake.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

PolyChucker

It's a deficiency. People spend so much time worrying about obtaining/creating new genetics instead of growing a normal healthy plant first..

Your plants are the most vocal abuse victims in your household. Cyanidin glucosides contain ph indicators. Where they are in the plant tells us where auxin is in the plant. Their shade tells us why they are there, whether held up by a fungal gate or a plant issue,like did a forklift knock over a bunch of shelves or are the workers protesting and opening all the boxes for themselves?

Where do you want sugars storing up in the plant while it's vegging? Personally I want them in the roots until the very end, then I want them in the buds. I never want them clogging up the phloem. You can predict yields and diminished quality just looking at these Calcium deficient plants online, yet people will still worry about finding a new plant that yields more and has more terpanene. And if they find it, it'll be a plant that has extra genes for calcium uptake.

This is very interesting! I have noticed having to give most plants I like CalMag. I also have many various colors. Is all coloration a deficiency? I could see purple, red stem being a bad sign. Cold purpling of the leaf - probably don’t want too much energy spent on leaf pigment (though it does seem to be a natural response in a lot of plants). But purple calyx just seems like human eye color - variation for some potential advantage - maybe to draw pollinators. Surely not that much photosynthesis energy would be wasted on a purple calyx. I’m OK with plants that are all green but it would be sad if the calyx was a problem too, as I have felt that purple bud has a floral, calming quality that seems beneficial/medicinal.

Thcvhunter

Veteran

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Interesting response

Shame you got banned, i wanted to talk science with ya

therevverend

Veteran
I have limited experience but purple stems seem like they are just a phenotype. Some people think it’s a deficiency.

I guess this guy was banned because he's a moron and a troll. Anyone who thinks all purple stemmed plants are deficient is full of shit and doesn't grow cannabis. It's like saying purple potatoes 'have a deficiency', or purple peppers or purple cauliflower or purple eggplant..

sbeanonnamellow

I mean, painting with broad strokes will leave a certain type of picture. I have seen some plants stems when neglected turn purple, and go back to green when being taken care of better. Apart from the broad strokes, were there any inaccuracies in what was said with respect to the pH of the glucosides being responsible for purple pigment in some varieties under some forms of stress? Anyone know about that? At the least it is something new to lookup in the index of some of my gardening books next time I am flipping through. Much love

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Yeah i had never heard that before, thats why i wanted to ask him more.

But ive also had some Goji throw out purely purple stems while being qbsolutely healthy.

While this year is tumultuous and nowhere near ideal, when I have had a perfect season I have had purple stems on some of my plants. So its not a defiency. Though, sometimes, it can be a sign of defiency.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Blueberry Parfume #13

Looks like the dad to this one was Flo - I used multiple males.

Floral, perfume scent
20210831_193641.jpg

George

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
100%. It’s deficient. You can tell by how lime green it is and the dead leaves falling off the bottom. I mean these should be dead give away guys. The purple stems aren’t the genetic trait, the genetic trait is the food requirement you’ve discovered across the strain. This is insufficient food supply.

With that said, I’m interested to see where you take this.

George

This is very interesting! I have noticed having to give most plants I like CalMag. I also have many various colors. Is all coloration a deficiency? I could see purple, red stem being a bad sign. Cold purpling of the leaf - probably don’t want too much energy spent on leaf pigment (though it does seem to be a natural response in a lot of plants). But purple calyx just seems like human eye color - variation for some potential advantage - maybe to draw pollinators. Surely not that much photosynthesis energy would be wasted on a purple calyx. I’m OK with plants that are all green but it would be sad if the calyx was a problem too, as I have felt that purple bud has a floral, calming quality that seems beneficial/medicinal.
Purple is sign there MAY be a problem. Other visual ques will either confirm or deny it. Usually purple stems are deficient IMO, red, purple petioles are not. Most purple stems plants will fox tail in late flower due to the stress.

quiescent

100%. It’s deficient. You can tell by how lime green it is and the dead leaves falling off the bottom. I mean these should be dead give away guys. The purple stems aren’t the genetic trait, the genetic trait is the food requirement you’ve discovered across the strain. This is insufficient food supply.

With that said, I’m interested to see where you take this.

100%

I think that people see how their plants are and think, "There's no way this is my doing, must be genetics!". Plant health, pests, diseases, herms, etc. I've seen it all.

I dunno if it's kindness or genuine ignorance but there's so much bullshit that goes unnoted. Most times I don't have the energy for the aftermath. I'd assume that is others' issue with giving fellow growers a nudge in the right direction.

/off tangent post

George

100%

I think that people see how their plants are and think, "There's no way this is my doing, must be genetics!". Plant health, pests, diseases, herms, etc. I've seen it all.

I dunno if it's kindness or genuine ignorance but there's so much bullshit that goes unnoted. Most times I don't have the energy for the aftermath. I'd assume that is others' issue with giving fellow growers a nudge in the right direction.

/off tangent post
Absolutely. I feel you too, sometimes I say something and just wait to get reamed for it or sometimes just won’t say shit. I’m not trying to offend, just see things I’ve dealt with too, but I do expect to be “told off” and I got bad anxiety so I don’t like the consequences of even offering a different viewpoint sometimes.

therevverend

Veteran
DJ Short has purposely selected for purple plants, with purple stems, as one of his selection criteria. This year I grew out an Oregon Cutthroat. A strain bred by DJ's son. JD Short. Blueberry x Black Rose. Selected for extreme purple colors. It had a purple stem from the day it sprouted. Throughout veg and through flowering until harvest time, just about now. She's around 12 feet tall. Here's what she looks like.

20211011_164254 (1).jpg

Donkey Dick Colas half way down the middle.

20211011_164232 (1).jpg

The big top.

20211011_164236 (1).jpg

Has a nice blueberry smell. I'm not in love with the structure, too narrow and gangly. I'd certainly top it and let it bush out more if I grew it again. If you're looking for a beautiful naturally purple stemmed plant it's well worth growing. However if you believe purple stems are a deficiency and not genetic you'd spend a lot of timing trying to correct it. Give it Cal-Mag or ethylene maybe. It does have yellow-purple droopy leaves,,

Attachments

• 20211011_164232 (1).jpg
    20211011_164232 (1).jpg
    200 KB · Views: 37
  • photo2078381.jpg
    photo2078381.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 43