What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollenation Time on a seed Moma

Back in the 80's I did some breeding seed production, all old school, Sunshine . Breed up a super high % Sativa purple job. My Question now being ,how long should I let my plants go before pulling the male , I'm not looking for high numbers just super strong seeds , these are ( Panama red pistol plants, ace gear. ) , I'm into my second week of ample pollen drop and flowering. Thanks in advance .

PolyChucker

I’m no expert but I’m working with hybrids that flower for about 8-14 weeks. The seeds take about 5 weeks to mature. So you can pollinate 5+ weeks before you expect it to finish. The plant will dedicate most resources to seed once it’s pollinated. If you’re trying to have decent buds and seeds, you’d want to only pollinate a few buds with a paint brush. A few pollinated buds will not dramatically effect the unfertilized bud development but if you pollinate the whole plant then flowering stops and all energy goes into the seeds.
You can leave the seeds in the bud as the plant dries for about a week then collect them - they seem to be strongest if you wait another month or two before using.
If you want tons of seeds then you should just keep pollinating. The pistils should turn brown once pollinated and the calyx starts to swell. Earlier pollination is safest because you can make sure the seeds are developing. I’ve used pollen 5 weeks before finish and the male turned out to be infertile - didn’t know that until it was too late.
Looks like Sunshine is 8-10wks flower and Panama red is 10-12wks.. but if you want to be sure to have good seeds I would pollinate now. The only downside to early pollination is you won’t get the full picture of what the unfertilized sensimilla bud would look like because it won’t get as fat when the plant is making seeds.

Thanks, These two Momas are for seed stock only , I let the Widow go 5 weeks before pulling the male, Panama just got started good , 3 days of pollen drop. I pulled a seed out of the Widow that has sprouted already.

Years ago, 80's I breed up a super purple job that I should of kept going, but let time and busy life get in the way. I dried the seed moma in the sun, screened the seed out ( 1000's) from a 6 ft plant . After picking out any light seed ,super smalls I'm betting the germ was 95+% . It was an old school haze type plant that had a lot of pine and citrus smell.

PolyChucker

Years ago, 80's I breed up a super purple job that I should of kept going, but let time and busy life get in the way. I dried the seed moma in the sun, screened the seed out ( 1000's) from a 6 ft plant . After picking out any light seed ,super smalls I'm betting the germ was 95+% . It was an old school haze type plant that had a lot of pine and citrus smell.

Sounds really cool. Sunshine seems hard to find if not unavailable - Panama Red the seeds I found were pretty expensive. So you’ve worked some old school genetics and now may be onto something!
Are you getting some of the crazy looking pink pistils from the Panama?

Sounds really cool. Sunshine seems hard to find if not unavailable - Panama Red the seeds I found were pretty expensive. So you’ve worked some old school genetics and now may be onto something!
Are you getting some of the crazy looking pink pistils from the Panama?

yes on the long white to pink to deep red pistils .

Latest posts

Latest posts