What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How soon to plant a new seed ? TIA

Guy and gals , I was checking a Moma White Widow that I bred WW X WW , I thought I saw a spot of mold, pinched it out and had 4 fully developed seed , black speckled . My Question being ? How soon can I plant ? These seed were gifted to me by a medical grower. A fast growing 65 /35 % plant. Im a old school Sativa guy back to the 70's.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Many stories of drying and waiting around. I have planted them after a week sat about though. They seem more vigorous if they get a start right away. Though why they would think the end of the season is a good idea, I don't know. They can't have a clock?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I have bad germination rates with fresh seeds. Never tested it but after ~3-4 weeks they should work fine. Have heard that a week in the freezer after the seeds are dry can help with germination. Kind of simulating the winter.

PolyChucker

My limited experience is less than 2mo old seeds are a lot lower percentage that grow into healthy plants than over 2mo sitting after seed harvest.
I think the main idea is that the plants finish in October here - finishing/ going amber trich is near death for the plant. I think the plant naturally would slump over, it’s colas filled with seeds and then they would dry out on the plant. Supposed to be sitting a few months before the seeds sprout for next season. This is my pseudo-scientific of understanding the natural outdoor cycle. Usually the seeds seem to be mature after about 5 weeks from fertilization but sitting for another couple months seems to help a lot somehow - don’t know what’s happening inside the seed that explains this.

FYI, Im getting about 50% germ on seed right out of Moma plant, that said Im doing better soaking, I feel like if I scarified like we do clover seed I would get better yet . Im letting a handfull dry in sun then a trip in the fridge with a pill bottle dessicant .

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seeds need time to harden off. If you plant them to fresh the Perianth will not crack. If there are only a few seeds Id wait for 30 days before you try to germ those.

Cuddles

I have bad germination rates with fresh seeds. Never tested it but after ~3-4 weeks they should work fine. Have heard that a week in the freezer after the seeds are dry can help with germination. Kind of simulating the winter.

I´ve heard that but it was recommended to me if the seeds are kinda old rather than really fresh ones

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Ok interesting never heard that. With old seeds i would try to keep bacterial growth as low as possible. Maybe freezing helps with that.
Or its the wearing down of the seedshell? If u got something like a siberian ruderalis that needs a thick seedshell to survive winter and they don't go through that u get bad germination rates. Some sites that sell them recomend either scuffing or freezing to help break the shell.

Cuddles

Ok interesting never heard that. With old seeds i would try to keep bacterial growth as low as possible. Maybe freezing helps with that.
Or its the wearing down of the seedshell? If u got something like a siberian ruderalis that needs a thick seedshell to survive winter and they don't go through that u get bad germination rates. Some sites that sell them recomend either scuffing or freezing to help break the shell.

I´m not sure about the actual reason. My friend told me this back at college but didn´t mention why exactly. She just said that it helps with germination. It´s definitely to do with simulating winter though.what you say makes sense to me.