What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

male spits out pistils late into week 7 propagation due to stress

watts up

Hey all,

i decided to cross Sensi seeds BIG BUD regular seeds with several of my strains that i have running
3 out of 10 seeds were male so i put this 3 males into flower. Plan was to use the best male to breed with.

i first began to flower the male after clear indication of sex, all was going well at week 4 bloom the males were showing good amount of pollen production and no signs of female pistils.
SO I decided to pollinate my Channel with the big bud at week 4 male bloom and week 4 female bloom in another room (lets say grow tent 1) The Channel female has gone onto produce some good seed stock.

Now here lies the problem.

i went away for 1 week at week 6 bloom ..my pump failed and it caused the coco to dry up somewhat and stress the males out
and with it along came signs of female pistils in ALL 3 male big buds at week 7. However not one of the females which i was breeding with showed any signs of stress nor did they show hermaphroditism

My questions are:

Even though i pollinated tent 1 at the early stage of bloom (week 4) where no female pistils had exhibited on the male
what would be the viability of the offspring TENT 1 (Big bud x Channel) have of showing male and female signs or will this gene fault carry through and all offspring be hermie?

Is is right to assume hermaphroditism will always pass on as a gene no maitter when the male plant exhibits it?

Yes i could grow out the seeds in a few months but i just thought id ask to see if it worth my time or start again. I had taken a clone off all the Big bud males which are labelled and now on idle until i work out what to do.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

watts up

igrowone

Veteran
the intersex trait is not a gene, it's a trait
that said it may pass on this trait, though in what form is questionable
the woods are deep and dark on this issue
the intersex trait is absolutely part of cannabis's character, always there in varying degrees

numberguy

Sorry to intrude, but I have seen this too much lately, this was discussed way back when I first got online. Males from stable lines that have been backcrossed express female flowers late in bloom. And I do not know for how many generations this trait will express, they are not male hermaphrodites.

PolyChucker

I have some F3s I was working on. All the siblings had good frost and interesting coloring and smells. I haven’t had much problem with intersex until this gen, about half of the plants had intersex qualities. 6 plants, 1 “male”, 5 “females” which included one true herm (big pistils on top and male balls under them), two females with some stress type male flowers.
The male was a trileaf which seemed very promising because of his smell and how his sisters looked. I was excited to use this male for sibling breeding but his pollen flowers had almost no pollen, maybe a tiny bit that was sticky inside the flowers, and then started popping out a bunch of pistils from male flowers.

I think you might have used an XX female plant posing as a male for breeding. That makes the offspring all female with herm qualities. Seems like cannabis doesn’t need a true male to breed.

I guess the pistils could be from stress if they are a few coming out of the top cola (stress herm) but if they’re all over you might have used a false male somewhere. There’s a fun long term grow diary on here where a guy is sprouting tons of herm self pollination seeds, most are female and herm female, but like 5 percent look like totally normal males somehow but you know that can’t actually be true because the seeds are from a female self pollination so no Y chromosome. So I interpreted that as there are pretty convincing males that are XX.

watts up

the intersex trait is not a gene, it's a trait
that said it may pass on this trait, though in what form is questionable
the woods are deep and dark on this issue
the intersex trait is absolutely part of cannabis's character, always there in varying degrees

Hgey Igrowone,

Yes like you mention i guess im trying to work if there would be a % increase in hermaprodistism in the later crossed plants rather than the first ones even though the trait was not yet showing....gonna have to grow these out and see

Thanks mate

watts up

Sorry to intrude, but I have seen this too much lately, this was discussed way back when I first got online. Males from stable lines that have been backcrossed express female flowers late in bloom. And I do not know for how many generations this trait will express, they are not male hermaphrodites.

ok cool thanks numberguy, got any valuable links i can do some more reading up on??

Cheers

Watts up

watts up

I have some F3s I was working on. All the siblings had good frost and interesting coloring and smells. I haven’t had much problem with intersex until this gen, about half of the plants had intersex qualities. 6 plants, 1 “male”, 5 “females” which included one true herm (big pistils on top and male balls under them), two females with some stress type male flowers.
The male was a trileaf which seemed very promising because of his smell and how his sisters looked. I was excited to use this male for sibling breeding but his pollen flowers had almost no pollen, maybe a tiny bit that was sticky inside the flowers, and then started popping out a bunch of pistils from male flowers.

I think you might have used an XX female plant posing as a male for breeding. That makes the offspring all female with herm qualities. Seems like cannabis doesn’t need a true male to breed.

I guess the pistils could be from stress if they are a few coming out of the top cola (stress herm) but if they’re all over you might have used a false male somewhere. There’s a fun long term grow diary on here where a guy is sprouting tons of herm self pollination seeds, most are female and herm female, but like 5 percent look like totally normal males somehow but you know that can’t actually be true because the seeds are from a female self pollination so no Y chromosome. So I interpreted that as there are pretty convincing males that are XX.

Hey Poly chucker,

your story is interesting to read. With what i describe all 3 males were from seed ( not clone) all were Sensi seed big bud, i could be right to assume these all came from the same father/mother setup and all were prone to stress. the pistils that the plants exibited were few, the male sex signs were indeed a lot more prevalent from the onset of 12/12, so id be inclined to think they were true Males XX.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Watts up

PolyChucker

Hey Poly chucker,

your story is interesting to read. With what i describe all 3 males were from seed ( not clone) all were Sensi seed big bud, i could be right to assume these all came from the same father/mother setup and all were prone to stress. the pistils that the plants exibited were few, the male sex signs were indeed a lot more prevalent from the onset of 12/12, so id be inclined to think they were true Males XX.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Watts up

Thanks. I had 5 males from last summer, two seemed to be herm so i ended up with three. Only one vigorous male was actually fertile, so all of my seeds were with one male. Started to get paranoid that I had accidentally used herm seeds somewhere in the line because this one grouping had no true males. Now getting some males in other lines - so my suspicion of completely female breeding was unjustified. Still mysterious that my male to female ratio seems way lower than 50% maybe 25% male. That thread about the herm seeds got me going.

igrowone

Veteran
Thanks. I had 5 males from last summer, two seemed to be herm so i ended up with three. Only one vigorous male was actually fertile, so all of my seeds were with one male. Started to get paranoid that I had accidentally used herm seeds somewhere in the line because this one grouping had no true males. Now getting some males in other lines - so my suspicion of completely female breeding was unjustified. Still mysterious that my male to female ratio seems way lower than 50% maybe 25% male. That thread about the herm seeds got me going.

all female lines can produce males
I've had one myself and produced fertile pollen
others here have also seen males in their feminized seeds, not that rare

numberguy

ok cool thanks numberguy, got any valuable links i can do some more reading up on??

Cheers

Watts up

The only thing I could show you is the beginning of the discussion from 99, the consensus that was reached was on a different forum that has been gone a long time.

Latest posts

Latest posts