What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant with 2 different phenotypes ?

xerb

Wow, this is something I don't see very often, how about you guys?

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0543.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	17830214

The two small buds in the front smell and look completely different from the rest of the plant.
Notice the size of the shade leaves versus those little buds?
On the rest of the plant buds form differently, throwing many long foxtails out.
These little buds have much smaller leaves and a much higher leaf to bud ratio.
I was going to suggest there might have been an Indian in the wood pile - but they are the same plant.

BREAKING NEWS - On closer exam, it turns out the tiny buds in question are actually the main stem crown.
Due to all the bending and tying down I did, there are now many other growing tips that have become more dominate.

Another stunning realization, the next set of buds down the main stem have a growth pattern between the two
extremes, and the smell is a cross of the two. I have never noticed such a range of smells in one plant! Live and learn.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0548.JPG Views:	0 Size:	117.6 KB ID:	17830215

This is what the rest of the plant looks like. It has 10 huge, cola sized buds on it. Tops out just under 3 feet tall.
The big buds smell very sweet, some tropical fruit - a total lack of anything piney or woodsy, no solvent smell,
just a sweet and sour, exotic tropical fruit smell. Whew, I think I got a headrush from smelling my fingers!

The smells are incredibly different, the tiny buds are very funky and skunky, overall very delicious smelling.
This one would be a keeper on smell and pungency alone.

It looks like I might get a joint of the great stuff and a sack of the more common.... XERB

Last edited:

zaprjaques

My uneducated guess would be maybe different hormonal levels.
Also did you transfer them to bigger pots later on after bending the tops down?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Mutations during mitosis. Unusual for them to produce such significant variances, but there you have the evidence.

xerb

My uneducated guess would be maybe different hormonal levels.
Also did you transfer them to bigger pots later on after bending the tops down?

I usually start my seeds in their final container - as I did this time.

I am unhappy with the pictures I uploaded, maybe this one is better?

DSC_0561.JPG

Everything in this picture is the same plant. The bud in the upper right is more typical of the bud structure
on the rest of the plant.

These two buds are TINY, even the bracts are much smaller.
They are filled with leaves and look like a nightmare to manicure.
They kind of remind me of another strain, Northern Lights maybe.

They really stand out, and are unlike anything else in the room and yet they are all siblings. XERB

zaprjaques

Yes, it is Pure Burmese IBL

Its probably just a coincidence but my Manipuris from TRSC show different budding structures as well.
But i have had them rootbound, bent down, pollenated twice, and then up potted again with crazy night day temperature swings and 9/15 light cycle under not so many watts of SILs ...

​​​​​​

xerb

Wow, 9/15 ? Must be some stubborn gals eh? I'd love to get a look...

I have been in love with the VISC Burmese since I acquired it about 20 years ago.
She has adapted extremely well to indoor growing.

Outdoors I have seen her produce tall lanky plants with wispy, thin buds more typical of pure Thai.
The perfume she puts out in the evening is unlike cannabis, but more like some exotic tropical flower.

She deserves a better name, something like "Angel's Trumpet".

Just my 2 cents!

Wake and Bake Everybody! XERB

xerb

Wow, check this out - same plant, but this is the lowest branch on the plant, coming out at soil level.
The rest of the plant is just about ready to harvest when I spotted this

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0750.JPG Views:	0 Size:	39.7 KB ID:	17839064

What is going on with this plant?
It appears to be polyploidy - but just this one branch?

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0748.JPG Views:	0 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	17839065

Looking at it with a magnifying glass it appears to have from at least 4 and sometimes 10 white hairs out of
each bract ! WTF ?

Has anybody seen this on their plants ?

These plants have not gotten anything but water for many weeks, all this growth looks very new.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0752.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	17839066

Should I keep it growing until I can sample it?
She is very aromatic and the trichome coverage seems to be off the wall !
Better keep it going just to be safe. XERB

PS Note to self - this is plant #9 - What do the seeds look like?

Last edited:

xerb

DSC_0771.JPG

So this is the entire plant, She had 10 big colas, I just cut 2 off - the ones that I had pollinated.
The were starting to drop their seeds.

Take a look at the two branches in the lower right with tiny buds - these should have been the
very top of the plant, but because of the training, other branches became dominant.
The branch in the center of the picture is the next branch down and is not a cola.
It has a growth pattern half way between the dominant colas and the tiny buds.

At the top of the picture, all 8 of those big colas are this same plant.
Those tiny buds are no more than 1/4 inch across, while the colas are 3-4 inches across.

How bizarre, XERB

xerb

And the story gets even stranger.....

I pollinated two branches on this girl. Imagine my delight when I realized one was on each of the different phenos!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0814.JPG Views:	18 Size:	69.6 KB ID:	17842421

Even the colors are different. Then I went looking for the main cola.
Trimming off the few fan leaves to better see her structure, I could really smell the difference.
This tiny bud is the main cola, and smells super sweet, moderately fruity with a mild skunkiness.
This tiny top smells incredible, and is almost loud, the rest of the plant was more subdued.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0821.JPG Views:	18 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	17842422

Yes, that is the main cola at top !

When I pollinated the two branches they looked about the same, and they got hit with pollen 3 or 4 times,
every other day for a week or so. They were about 5 weeks into flowering at that point.

I was really eager to check out the seeds, and see whether there were any differences.
Surprise ! The 2nd pheno is sterile ! Not a single seed !

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0845.JPG Views:	18 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	17842423

Although the main cola is tiny, the lower branches produced 10 big colas, and a heavy yield for Burmese.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0832.JPG Views:	18 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	17842424

Super Freak! XERB

PS my favorite, plant #4, also seems to have been mostly sterile, so far I have only found
4 seeds - but huge ones, I have her re-vegging now

PPS the first plant to ripen, the only one I've tried, has exceptional flavor

PPPS Check out this wooden cigar box I found this weekend.
What looks to be white surrounding the image is actually gold foil ! She has one gold tooth !

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0833.JPG Views:	18 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	17842425

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
You could try making clones from the two different phenotypes of the same plant? Then grow them and see if they remain different as well as testing the terpenes contents via a lab to see if they are actually different?
-SamS

PolyChucker

You could try making clones from the two different phenotypes of the same plant? Then grow them and see if they remain different as well as testing the terpenes contents via a lab to see if they are actually different?
-SamS

absolutely you must do this test!