What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who has had real Kauai Electric

D

Dalaihempy

TropicThunder said:
Not Kauai Electric but some good ol hawaiian bud.

Finaly a see a picture of a sativa growing in hawiia agine lol.

Good work mate be intrested to hear more about the line it looks to have a lot of thia in her.

Not sure of the exact genetics. It was bagseed, but I agree that it has that thai creeper structure. Here are some other plants from the same season, back in summer 2004.

tr1ck_

I have a good friend who lives in Hawaii and he claims that the Kauai electric is now grown outdoors on Molokai by some of the locals (They call it Molokai Electric now). He is only able to get it when he goes fishing there with his uncle who has relatives on the island. He said it knocks the socks off any other Hawaii strain he has smoked in 20+ years

Chomba64

Veteran
Kauai Electric

Kauai Electric

Yes the Kauai Electric is still around. A friend of mine grew it again last year. Very strong. He said there are 4 or so phenos. I experienced two and my favorite was the sativa pheno. He said the leaves were huge. Here is a pic of one of the phenos.

Peace

Attachments

• DSCN2235.jpg
    DSCN2235.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 76

d1951aw@yahoo.c

Kauai Electric

Kauai Electric

I find this interesting that people still talk about the pot and its history, so here we go.
This is a true story about how we started to grow this pot on the Island of Kauai in 1975, my husband (deceased)is the founder of this strain of marijuana.
The first place that we grew this was in Hanalei Valley, the plant is a crossed between two strains one came form Jamaica called "Golden Voice" the other was from Thailand called "Elephant". In 1975 most farmers use chicken shit to fertilize the plant but it was so strong we decided that a cow base manure would be a new and safer way to bring the plant to maturity, this is how it got it's sweet taste.
When the first harvest came in we had no name for it, at that time such names as Kona Gold, Puna Butter, Maui Wowie, were all taken so we needed something short, plus, to put the Island that it was from (very important in 1975). I was standing in my kitchen looking at the mail when I pulled up my electric bill and up in the corner (return address) was the name Kauai Electric Company. I walk into the living room and said "I have the name, lets call it Kauai Electric" and the rest is history. I still have some seeds of the original plant if it ever goes legal you may see the true Kauai Electric. I hope you enjoyed the history!

choom

I never stopped hoping!!!

I never stopped hoping!!!

This is...all too relevant to my interests. Kekaha is my home away from home and I've been obsessively wondering about and trying to source the exact lineage, this in my personal opinion is one of the most significant things ever posted, as it's parents have never been mentioned before I think. I'll be honest and say I haven't thought of KE in about four months but when I saw the title of this thread a little frisson made me jump lmao. It has me extremely interested in the strain Golden Voice you mentioned now, but unintentionally like a master storyteller you made that the fucking best thing ever by ending it with mention of ORIGINAL stock... thank you so much for everything you've done for this world. Welcome to International Cannagraphic, the largest and most reputable cannabis board online, we really hope you stick around and share more knowledge and stories pertaining to outdoor cannabis and strain lineage!
Roughly guessing or definitely knowing, how many seeds are still there?

choom(0:

Dirtboy808

Veteran
I find this interesting that people still talk about the pot and its history, so here we go.
This is a true story about how we started to grow this pot on the Island of Kauai in 1975, my husband (deceased)is the founder of this strain of marijuana.
The first place that we grew this was in Hanalei Valley, the plant is a crossed between two strains one came form Jamaica called "Golden Voice" the other was from Thailand called "Elephant". In 1975 most farmers use chicken shit to fertilize the plant but it was so strong we decided that a cow base manure would be a new and safer way to bring the plant to maturity, this is how it got it's sweet taste.
When the first harvest came in we had no name for it, at that time such names as Kona Gold, Puna Butter, Maui Wowie, were all taken so we needed something short, plus, to put the Island that it was from (very important in 1975). I was standing in my kitchen looking at the mail when I pulled up my electric bill and up in the corner (return address) was the name Kauai Electric Company. I walk into the living room and said "I have the name, lets call it Kauai Electric" and the rest is history. I still have some seeds of the original plant if it ever goes legal you may see the true Kauai Electric. I hope you enjoyed the history!

Mahalo for the info. Sorry for your loss. Lots of the Taylor camp gang made it over here. My wife grew in Hanakapai valley sorry for junk spelling. and live on Kahuna Rd late 70's Aloha

Chomba64

Veteran
Was your original plants grown under the electrical power lines. My friend stated it was grown like that...?

Talk about a first post!
Thank you for that, and welcome to IC :tiphat:
Feel free to share any other stories or info, you definitely have our attention

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Much thanks in sharing the history, d1951aw@yahoo.c! :thank you: A warm welcome to ICMag!

Back when I lived in Ak. I spent the winter of '79/'80 in Hawaii, including 3 wks as a backpacking haole hippie in Kauai. :D

I bought a light oz. @ Polihale State Park for $80. Nothing special, but a good memory.

Love hearing canna-history, and I hope you'll share more w/ us!

I have a story, when I was 20 in 1990 I moved out to the Big Island of hawaii and stayed with a friend of mine who was from California (moved when he was 2), we used to surf waipio valley and some other local spots and he smoked with me THE best weed I have ever smoked and still to this day every once in awhile I get some faint taste of it from just thinking about it, weird.
One day I decided I was moving to Kaui and wanted to bring some of this weed out there with me so he said he would talk to his surfing buddy to ask if I can be in the know about the SECRET he always spoke of when dealing with this particular weed, turns out I was ok and he brought me to a farm in the highlands of the Big Island in a town called wameia (? spelling) which looked like horse and farming area were his friends father grew a huge amount of weed. I remember walking in to his barn were he had racks and racks of drying dank weed. We sat around smoking and trimming buds placing big buds in the big bowls and small ones in the small etc, etc.
I will never forget smoking this beautiful cannabis and eating the freshest slices of dried bananas which tasted like banana taffy. I remember the father saying the strain came from Swaziland africa and on Kaui they called it Kaui electric and the father was a big time local heavy grower who supplied all the Islands. I brought 1 1/2 oz of it to Kaui and smoked with some guys who knew my friend I was staying with and when I returned home from surfing hideaways one day the place was broken into and all my herb and money and plane ticket were stolen, it turned out ok because I stayed another year to save and got to surf more, also met a cool Rasta who grew and live in the Napali coastline, Oh well true story hope you like it, not sure on the original strain but this is what i was told many many years ago, take care all.

t99

Veteran
my fave for taste is a forgotten thai/burmese cross called golden voice. grown on maui in the late 70's. it was a smooth easy to smoke tropical flowerey taste. strong satva strain that you could smoke all day and get you high every time with no sore throat or cough.

(quote from the tastiest strain you've ever tasted thread, page 3)

GreyHairedDevil

Power line trail. If you lived on Kauai maybe you heard of it. Cuts across the island. Mucho grow spots. Smoked a lot of amazing flowers while I lived there. Locals have it on lock. the electric comes from a power line trail grow. In Hawaii it's all out door all year round. Love that place. :tiphat: aloha

bushweed

Veteran
Golden Voice

Golden Voice

Great story, just a slight correction. The legendary Golden Voice was said to have originated from Thailand not Jamaica, but actually came from imported Laotian weed, as the following excerpt from, Thai Stick: Surfers, Scammers, and the Untold Story of the Marijuana TradeBy Peter Maguire, Mike Ritter, attests:

picture.php

picture.php

Chomba64

Veteran
Well... The Kauai Electric is a legend...We can believe what we want...It will pop up again soon enough... Peace

supakauai

The Real Story Behind Kauai Electrics

The Real Story Behind Kauai Electrics

Kauai Electrics was breed on the North Shore of Kauai and grown exclusively by one grower called "jonesy". Its is a fast flowering strain with an amazing sativa head rush. A terpine profile of lemon-lime sprite with that old school skunk backend and tropical hints of guava and passionfruit.

It was only grown along powerline trail directly above my childhood home until the early 90's. After hurricane Iniki the breeder passed a few cuts of this legend to some local growers my dad being one of them as "jonsey's house was destroyed and he ended up moving to Maui for a short period of time.

Since then multiple large scale mountain grows have become a thing of the past as green harvest has one by one set up stings on these grows going as far as watching more then 3,000 plants being cultivated in the mountains of Wailua and watching the local family secretly to create a case against them. The Kauai Electrics is a very rare strain and only grown in a couple legal medical gardens of some old timers.

I am currently in the process of working on some f2 seeds of kauai electrics. You can view the flowers on my instagram "supakauai" if you wish you learn more I will be launching a website 808genetics.com where you can learn more about all your favorite island strains.