What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mullumbimby Madness, Elephant Killer and more...

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420247 said:
Bumpin for more info :)

from "archives" :D

racoo012.jpg

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
I grew out one female of the Oxacan freebies. They need to be grow outdoors or with more than 400W of light IMO. Very average results from me.

G

guest123

i have a bunch of those mullum seeds from gn aswell ,, i expect itll just be some aussie sativa .. many of them dont like it indoors and will hermie ,, they are not made for indoors ..
i havent grown any of the mm yet ,, got a good idea how it will turn out already , if its anything like the other sativas we grow here ,, and im sure it will be ...
as for the oaxacan ,, i have grown it several times , its nice sativa ,, matures pretty early and has quite a distinctive smell .. some buds can be quite solid ....

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Raco said:
from "archives" :D

racoo012.jpg

Thank you so much raco :) I wish I was smart enough to print out the info I wanted to keep from OG, but for some reason I thought OG would have been around forever, oops! :( Its good to see you still around and just as helpful as always, thank you! :)

Bacchus said:
I grew out one female of the Oxacan freebies. They need to be grow outdoors or with more than 400W of light IMO. Very average results from me.

Did you grow them indoors or out? I think I remember you or somebody else growing them on there balcony?

What did you think of the root system? Was it fast growing, could it handle drought? Could the plants you had take some heat?

"Oaxacan freebies aren't related to the Oaxacan landrace, rather it was a strain gypsy had obtained from a student in Oaxaca"

The reason I ask, I don’t know what kind of climate the breeder acclimated this cultivar, indoors/greenhouse or right in the direct sun?

wallyduck said:
i have a bunch of those mullum seeds from gn aswell ,, i expect itll just be some aussie sativa .. many of them dont like it indoors and will hermie ,, they are not made for indoors ..

Good, thats what I want :) So they are more prone to hermi indoors than outdoors?

wallyduck said:
i havent grown any of the mm yet ,, got a good idea how it will turn out already , if its anything like the other sativas we grow here ,, and im sure it will be ...

Dont leave me like that wallyduck :( More info please!!! Finnish what you were saying I wanna know :) how do you think the MM will do in a drought situation? I live in So. Cal. and the climate here is very close to South Africa's climate, and similar to the foothills of Afghanistan, from what I've been told and read. :) Great land for fruit trees :)

wallyduck said:
as for the oaxacan ,, i have grown it several times , its nice sativa ,, matures pretty early and has quite a distinctive smell .. some buds can be quite solid ....

Same question for you. What did you think of the root system? was it fast growing, could it handle drought? could the plants you had take some heat?

Thank you all for posting all this info for me, I'm grateful :)

G

guest123

yes they are more prone to hermie indoors than outdoors , theyd really prefer to grow outdoors ....
yep should go ok during drought ,, those sativas are pretty tough , however im not sure id expect them to florish during drought ,, just they will most likely survive it ...
as for the oaxacan im not sure on its drought tolerance ,, but they will take some heat for sure ....

RGS

I believe the seeds Mullummadman had/has are real enough if not the very item.

I grew up in Nth NSW, Brunswick heads, about 5 kilomters from mullumbimby. Although MM was grownn not in Mullum, more likely the channon, or main arm, that area. Mullumbimby "middle pub" was the dealing point of the whole district for many years. Places where an old holden worth a couple hundred bux would change hands for several thousands for the keys and what was in the boot.

I began growing in a more "serious" manner about 1987 (until then just foolin around), a couple hundred miles nth of Brisbane, with seeds my father kept from the very best stashes of what was presented as MM over the previous ten years.

Certainly any decent weed from the area could get the tag if you were a long way down the line buying it, but locals tended to be a little more savvy.

Anyway, I got frightened from groing outside in the early 90s by a large long winged bird with a man inside it, who subsequently allerted police. I thinks to myself indoor might be my way forward and promptly left the bush setting.

Hydro being the thing of the time, and no-one I knew game enough to set seeds out that grew larger than most might imagine, I rememeber throwing about 100 all of my last seed over into a concrete ditch which flowed into the ocean.

A few years later, I hooked up onto the internet and came across MullumMadman, who as noted was a decent young fella, giving away seeds of what he called Mullum Madness.
Unkown to me he had begun a deal with Gypsy (I believe) and when I was posting in a thread debating the authenticity of his strain, I noted he said it never produced a hermie.
I mentioned as far as I knew (as folk law always dictated when we bought it in the late 70s and early 80s), MM always threw a few very dark seeds here and there, somthing that was consistent, no matter how much it was watched. Buying seedless grass in the area wasn't consistent until around '85 I suppose from memory, so this certainly didnt upset anyone ever. The guys growing MM were definately onto their game but and produced high quality gear always.

With the deal going with Gypsy I was shouted down and condemned, and I pulled my head in and that was that. Apparently, true or not, the last thing anyone wanted to hear as they waited for this release (especially MMadman) was it might hermie, and was I ever bitch slapped or what.
Next thing I hear, the seed was being sold, and just as quickly being re-pulled as it produced hermies.

I wouldn't worry if your variety has hermies in it. I think it always did, and is perhaps a fairly low brow way of at least knowing it's not a "made up" johhny come lately. from Holland (no offense to dutch breeders).
Of course if it's covered in flowers you have troubles, but just a few? It's a bloody big plant, and afew flowers here and there, you'll soon tell if it's worth it or not. I'm as close to certain the seed I used in the 80s was genuine, and it always had just a few seeds in each plant to remind you who was boss kinda thing.

The guys who grew the orignial MM stopped early in the 80s, and vowed to never grow again I believe, (again local stories); all I can say about them is they must be holdng some of the most sought after seed in the world if they still sit on any today.

Just for the record, as in if it ever w as a real variety, while good weed could be tagged as MM at the time wrongly, no-one has dared to sell good weed as MM since the original guys packed up. Who knows what retailers selling 5 bux worth at the time might call it? But among the guys who lived there, who bought big ( I am not one of them) etc, it just stopped showing up. MullumMadman's story is he grew up in an area I believe behind Byron, and his father has lived there consistently since before he was born, and has grown what he considered thebest stash the area had offered in that time all those years. He got the strain from his dad, just as I did come to think of it, and with it's history it has to be good, and is most likely genuine in my books. But that is my opinion alone.

cheers
best of luck
RGS

G

guest123

i missed meeting him at the last few mardi grass i visited .. i do recall seeing the pix of the plant he grew posted on overgrow that he called mullumbimby madness , a 7 lb beast from memory ... i also remember some of the guys where i live talk about their days down there in the earlier hippy days ,, they said mullumbimby madness was purple that they tried ... id guess given it was a later maturing sativa and where it was grown gets cold nights bfore they are quite finished would be quite possible it was coloured to suit ... ????

G

guest123

anyway , gypsy had some stock of it that the mullumadman had sent him and i have a small swag of it ,, time hasnt permitted me to grow any yet , and i know its seed thats been around a while , but ill try a few when the time is right this year later and see what comes of it ....

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
it would be a quite a treat to see some of those old monster "bushweed" sativas grown out properly and to leviathan proportions. ...stems as thick as a mans leg. some awesome bushweed sats.

G

Shantibaba of Mr. Nice seeds (formerally of the GreenHouse seeds) was involved with the Mullembimby Madness and states the MNS Nevilles Haze is very similar.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
great thrread, excellent info about australia hempy, thanks for sharing !

Irie !

organic1

Lots of great info here, quite a throwback to the old OG days for me...

I received some of these beans from the man himself about 7 years ago or so....Grew them outdoors in Hawaii around 2001. Started indoors first, then flowered outdoors. Took about 13-14 weeks if I remember correctly. Didn't get anything of the size of MM's plant, but they did yield ok. Very clear uplifting buzz, don't remember a lot about flavor, but not bad. Good in my opinion, but not great. Don't remember any hermy issues.

Had a bunch of pics on OG, but no more.....

Wonder where the Madman is these days??

Last edited:

Joeski

hey organic are you the hawiian guy from Overgrow who use to grow on your patio outside? i cant remember the old user name.. but if you are.. i use to love following your threads man.. and also just wondering if 420247 ever grew out the Mullumbimby madness or the Elephant killer strains?

Squiggles

aussie bush

sorry no flower pics this one was confiscated, its a very dangerous plant, might attack me while im sleeping. the state was looking out for me phew :mad:

have gifted out some seeds of this to a few members so hopefully some pics comming into the new year

Latest posts

Latest posts